Scooter
Community

Should underpowered scooters be banned from major roads?

Last post 07-07-2013 04:48 PM by awa355. 59 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-20-2013 04:56 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Re: Should underpowered scooters be banned from major roads?

HB-Zip50:

steve@ace:

Unfortunately the hire industry is one of the reasons that they allow people to ride them on a car license!!!  That is crazy.

I'd be interested to see what would happen to the 50cc market if you had to get a licence to ride one as per riding a larger bike.  I for one never would have got a 50cc if I needed to sit a test.   I would have gone straight for a larger bike. 

I thought I read that NSW needed a motorbike licence to ride a 50cc..... how do their sales compare with the sales in states that can ride them on car licence??

You are absolutely right HB-Zip50.

In NSW (and Vic, I think) a 49cc or 50cc scooter is just a wee scooter, and you still need to do all the pre-learner course, MOST, as if it was a full size beast.

Frankly, I don't know what, if any, sales there are in NSW of 50cc machines, as they are kind of pointless.

OTOH, if you have a machine like my Z50, you can soup it up quite a bit without getting very much attention from the cops. Big Smile

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 06-23-2013 04:41 PM In reply to

I regularly see 2 different 50cc scooters in Bendigo, Vic (a city of 100,000ish) where you need a motorcycle license to ride one. Rego is 40% of a car rego.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-23-2013 07:35 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

2wheels:
     im in Brisbane . 50's on the road is a bit of a problem but seeing that 50 riders pay the same rego as road bikes here, it would be unfair to bann them from suburban roads. they are not allowed on hyways of course, but again full rego, unfair.

There are those 50 riders in Brisbane who are blind to "No mopeds, what do you mean no mopeds are allowed on the Riverside Expressway????" Yep that's what the big green roadsigns say......

Then there are those who, from stopped, pull out directly from the right in front of 2 lanes of fast moving traffic to go up a steep hill.......

My first ride was a 50 but unless I lived in the CBD there is no way I would seriously consider riding one in Brisbane traffic.

• 06-24-2013 10:50 AM In reply to

dbm:

There are those 50 riders in Brisbane who are blind to "No mopeds, what do you mean no mopeds are allowed on the Riverside Expressway????" Yep that's what the big green roadsigns say......

Then there are those who, from stopped, pull out directly from the right in front of 2 lanes of fast moving traffic to go up a steep hill.......

I think there would be some differences in peoples mind as to what 'Moped' actually describes.    To me a Moped is an engine assisted bicycle.  ie you pedal to get it going then the engine takes over.  But that's what I know from being a kid in Europe.   I have never seen one here. 

Most people would think 'I'm not riding a moped, I'm on a scooter so I'm good to go'.    In WA to have access to our freeways you need to be on something bigger than a 50cc.  That said, I wouldn't attempt our freeways on anything smaller than a 150cc. But there is nothing stopping a 50cc being ridden on a highway which still has a speed limit of 100km/h.   I for one am guilty of riding a 50cc on roads like this however my 50 when I tucked down would sit just above 80kph on the flats and do more than that if you could get in behind a truck as there was less wind resistance however most 50's here aren't modded like mine was. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-25-2013 03:08 PM In reply to

dbm:
    There are those 50 riders in Brisbane who are blind to "No mopeds,

you can be booked for taking a 50 on the motorways. i myself never did it. i dont recall ever seeing a 50 on the motorways but really never paid much attention until i got mine. 

on licencing?  if i had to get a licence to ride a 50, i would not have bothered getting one. then i would not have wanted a bigger one wich led to me getting a licence and upgrading to a bigger bike. (a bit bigger lol) so i am so glad you can ride a 50 on a car licence here.

started with a bug jive wreck. moved on to a candy apple red sweet little bug and finnished with a black honda pcx 125. his name is sparkles.
  • 06-25-2013 06:24 PM In reply to

I ride a Vespa GST 300 across the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the bus lane and regularly slow down because of the wind conditions up there.  Should I be banned too?

2009 Vespa GTS 300ie
  • 06-25-2013 06:26 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

2wheels:
    you can be booked for taking a 50 on the motorways. i myself never did it. i dont recall ever seeing a 50 on the motorways but really never paid much attention until i got mine. 

Just be at the corner of Alice & William Sts any week day afternoon to watch them go to the left and right onto the Riverside Expressway.

• 06-25-2013 07:29 PM In reply to

I guess it would depend how slow you go. If the speed in which you ride your scooter is considered unreasonable, you commit an offence.

It doesn't get that windy on the bridge, compared to, say, the F6 going to Wollongong...

• 07-05-2013 01:48 PM In reply to

meanwhile I always seem to be coming across cagers doing 20 below the limit or more on the freeway... these same people often speed up to get ahead of the "moped" that just overtook them. Confused

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 07-05-2013 08:11 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

Scooternut:

meanwhile I always seem to be coming across cagers doing 20 below the limit or more on the freeway... these same people often speed up to get ahead of the "moped" that just overtook them. Confused

blast from the past,someone is back.

back to the thread,I once followed a 50cc on to the r/side expressway in the 60 k section thinking it would leave at first exit but it kept going & kept excelerating even in the 90 k section!Obviously no stock standard 50 it was flying.

• 07-05-2013 09:50 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-05-2013 11:47 PM In reply to

Yes, it is an intriguing idea but it's also worth remembering both Drachten and that other town are small places with narrow streets and short distances to travel. Whether it would scale up to a busy metropolis is another question.

• 07-06-2013 05:11 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

A few years ago all the lights failed on Beach Rd Melbourne during the afternoon peak hour.

My commute home was great with the cars slowing down at intersections and flowing in all directions through the intersections. 

It works, no scary moments and we were all polite and quite relaxed.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-06-2013 09:32 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

If they tried doing away with traffic lights and road signs in Sydney, there would be absolute carnage on the roads for the first two weeks.

Then, the survivors would probably live happily ever after.

It might also solve the housing shortage.      Wink

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 07-07-2013 04:48 PM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

I dont know about ' under powered scooters being banned, but I'd like to see all scooters faster than mine banned Big Smile

Awa and Buggsy
Page 4 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au