Scooter
Community

Which brake is which?

Last post 09-06-2013 09:48 PM by pyrah. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2013 10:53 AM

Which brake is which?

I was wondering if someone could tell me which brake lever is the rear one on the Majesty? Are all scooters set up the same? Thanks.

I just watched the slow cornering video over in the video blog section of the forum. Vey interesting. It actually goes against what I experienced in a club by bicycle road race many years ago. I was riding at the front a the palaton descending down a hill at about 70kph.  Ther were just on 50 riders in the pack and I was in the second row. Being only about 4inches way from the wheel in front and closing on it while in a corner that had 2 sections to it and it was an anti camber corner, I made the mistake of touching the rear brake. The back wheel slide out  and I had the throw the bike back to the upright position to save myself forming going down (I was on the outside of the corner). Although it saved me from getting hit from multiplies of riders behind me  I had a partially controlled crash that was very spectacular( into a rocky creek bed that had an 18 inch drop off. Having my feet strapped in I had to push the front wheel down and effect a tumble roll with the bike going above me.) got away with a couple of banged up nuckles and was able to continue the race, but never ever  touched a back brake anywhere near a corner after that.

Mick Evans.

• 08-17-2013 11:41 AM In reply to

Re: Which brake is which?

Normal practise on scooters is the front brake is controlled by the right lever and the rear brake by what would be the clutch lever on a motorcycle. There is some linking that goes on these day in some scooters, but generally right is front, left is rear.

• 08-17-2013 04:29 PM In reply to

Yep. Right is front, Left is rear. Same as a pushbike, and the front brakes are in the same spot as standard on Motorcycles.

Scooters are different to pushbikes, as you've got a lot more weight on the back wheel in a scooter. Locking all the front wheels you have will make steering impossible, no matter what you're piloting.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 08-17-2013 05:15 PM In reply to

Idea Think right in front & left behind Big Smile 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-17-2013 06:18 PM In reply to

Thanks.

i enjoyed watching a couple of the HART centre videos on cornering but they didn't mention which brake was which. The emergency braking in a corner was a good one too. Made a lot of sense.

Mick Evans.

• 08-17-2013 06:27 PM In reply to

Mick E.:
    I made the mistake of touching the rear brake. The back wheel slide out  and I had the throw the bike back to the upright position to save myself forming going down (I was on the outside of the corner).

Well yes - that's what will happen if you brake too hard, or what turns out to be too hard for the circumstances :) But if you use the front brake, I think it's even worse. In my experience I can have some slight chance of recovering if the rear wheel slides out, but I have no chance in hell if the front folds! (That's exactly how my two crashes happened - front wheel letting go on a wet roundabout).

But perhaps it's a matter of individual preference.

• 08-20-2013 11:47 AM In reply to

wombat:

Yep. Right is front, Left is rear. Same as a pushbike,

Except European pushbikes where they are fitted the opposite way.  Something to be wary of if you rent a bike in Europe.  A friend of mine made the careless mistake of not double checking her brakes whilst on a cycling tour in Europe.  She was coming down a rather steep hill and was forced to grab the brakes.  she applied as you would normally do over here and locked the front wheel and went down.   12 months later recovering from a broken neck she's only just allowed to ride her bike again. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-20-2013 04:22 PM In reply to

Ouch! That's a most unpleasant outcome of a crash. I'm glad to hear hat she is on the mend, but a very serious injury. Usually you are able to roll an impact off but sometimes it happens so quick that you don't get a chance to protect yourself. Experienced that in my last race. 

I hope that she has not lost too much mobility.

Mick Evans.

• 08-20-2013 09:26 PM In reply to

Wow, I didn't know that - Thanks HB!

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 08-21-2013 02:21 AM In reply to

wombat:

Yep me too interesting subject apparently the yanks bicycles brake levers are also opposite to UK/Aus ones Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-21-2013 07:12 AM In reply to

Yes and they all ride/drive on the wrong side of the road too.

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 08-21-2013 07:21 AM In reply to

lead runner:

Yes and they all ride/drive on the wrong side of the road too.

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-21-2013 09:56 AM In reply to

pyrah:

wombat:

Yep me too interesting subject apparently the yanks bicycles brake levers are also opposite to UK/Aus ones Yes

yeah it has always fascinated me as to why there would be a difference between coutries.  It would be like American cars having the clutch and accelerator in cars the other way around.   Just plain weird.  Or a left handed accelerator on bikes. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-21-2013 10:04 AM In reply to

Mick E.:

Ouch! That's a most unpleasant outcome of a crash. I'm glad to hear hat she is on the mend, but a very serious injury. Usually you are able to roll an impact off but sometimes it happens so quick that you don't get a chance to protect yourself. Experienced that in my last race. 

I hope that she has not lost too much mobility.

Mick Evans.

When ever I have come down I've always managed to land and roll or slide my way out of serious injury.  I did have my front wheel taken out in a crit race that ended with a fractured clavicle but hey that's not too bad really. 

The mobility is coming back, but it has taken its time.   The bump to the head was the worst thing.  Thank Christ she was wearing a helmet as that saved her life.  Over 12 months of rehab has allowed her to talk properly again, walk unaided and just recently ride a bike again.  Huge milestones considering the doctors originally said she wouldn't wake up. 

WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!!

• 08-21-2013 03:24 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

pyrah:

wombat:

yeah it has always fascinated me as to why there would be a difference between coutries.  It would be like American cars having the clutch and accelerator in cars the other way around.   Just plain weird.  Or a left handed accelerator on bikes. 

The Indian police bikes had a left hand throttle as the story goes so they could still shoot with there right hand Geeked

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au