Scooter
Community

What to do with a 6 month old vespa thats been written off???

Last post 09-06-2013 10:03 PM by pyrah. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2013 08:53 PM

What to do with a 6 month old vespa thats been written off???

Good evening all, 

February this year I was so happy to finally get my Vespa that I have been wanting for years, a black 150s  i.e.

Unfortunately on the evening of july 26 a guy came through a red light and took me and Rossi (the scooter) out.

I was very lucky to come out of it with minor injuries and made it back to my family safe and sound, after some hours in emergency of course.

LIfe lesson 01 - no matter how much you don't want to ware the protective gear, getting home to you wife and kids is much cooler.

Life Lesson 02 - Get full comp. insurance, no matter how ridiculous you think the price.... live and learn.

I have had Rossi assessed by ScootersScooters in Brisbane, and due to a twisted frame it has been written off.

The engine has 3500km on it and all the suspension looks intact.

So what to do with Rossi ? i have offered him to the only Vespa Wrecker i can find which is ScooterWreckers in Sydney who are not interested as the don't want to ship it there....

Is there anywhere else i can sell it ?

Any advice would really be appreciated, something to read while I am on the bus ..... sad face.

Thanks again

poor rossi

• 08-28-2013 09:09 PM In reply to

Re: What to do with a 6 month old vespa thats been written off???

Welcome monkeydog sorry to here about your mishap yep always get fully comp insurance if the scooter is worth more than scrap value . Try advertising the scooter on this site and possibly ebay

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-29-2013 06:07 PM In reply to

Hi, I gather you were not insured. If not you can still claim on the other drivers insurance if they have comprehensive insurance, particularly if you can prove they were 100% at fault.

See http://www.insurancelaw.org.au/fact-sheets/i%E2%80%99ve-had-a-car-accident-and-i%E2%80%99m-uninsured/

Sydney /Piaggio Beverly 350
  • 08-29-2013 10:16 PM In reply to

If the guy came through a red light, you should be able to make a claim on his insurance, regardless of whether you have insurance or not?

• 08-31-2013 12:03 AM In reply to

That's correct.  The driver at fault is liable either by way of his own insurance company or personally.  If you are insured comprehensively, your own insurance company will write off the scooter and give you the money you have it insured for.  They will then claim that money from the driver at faults insurance company. If the driver at fault is not insured, they will personally sue him/her to recover their money.  If both of you are uninsured and the driver at fault refused/didn't offer to pay you compensation, you would have to take him to court.

Kim
  • 08-31-2013 12:55 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone for their reply !

I should give you more information sorry.

Life lesson three was : dont get hit by a driver who is uninsured and unemployed !

in the weeks since he can only get togeather about $3500 of the $5500 he owed me but I accepted it because there was no propsect of getting more and there was a chance I could end up with none!

As a part of the settlement I kept the wreck, which was what my quesiton was really about...

What do I do with it ? its virtually new apart from a twisted frame.

I should make a go Kart out of it!

or maybe a vintage scoot rebuild might want a new fuel injected engine?

or just see if i can get $200 on Ebay..

Thanks again for all the sugestions.

• 08-31-2013 01:15 AM In reply to

Remember getting a car written off in NZ with uninsured unemployed drunk driver glad i had comprehensive insurance so got paid out . My insurance company said they wouldn't even take them to court as would be more trouble than it was worth trying to get money back in drips and drabs

Thinking how much would a second hand LX50 be and then rebuild with the LX150 parts

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-03-2013 09:15 AM In reply to

I remember years ago my honda cb 500 four was written off when a young girl who was powdering her nose dropped a right turn in front of me, anyway unfortunately i was not insured so it took me about 4 months to get the money back off the offender also i was able to sell the wreck and it was a wreck for scrap got $250 for it back in 1975. My wife was on the back and was injured, fractured scull and damaged hearing took her a while to get right. Anyway 3rd party insurance back then was a slow process i think 3 years before we got justice.

These days of course i always insure with comprehensive insurance because a lot of people run without insurance and rego its scary actually.

Hatrick

hatrick
  • 09-03-2013 01:44 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

monkeydog:

in the weeks since he can only get togeather about $3500 of the $5500 he owed me but I accepted it because there was no propsect of getting more and there was a chance I could end up with none!

As a part of the settlement I kept the wreck, which was what my quesiton was really about...

He obviously managed to save up $3500 , why could you not take that & wait for him to save up another $2000 ? , if he was unable to come up with the rest of the money maybe he could have signed his car ownership over to you , you could have then sold his car , kept your $2000 & passed the rest if any $$$ back over to him , sounds harsh but actually you would be doing him a favour since if he can't afford basic "bomb" or 3rd party property insurance , then he can't afford to be on the road & neither can you or the rest of us if we have to loose money every time he is negligent . Harsh reality is that you are now out of pocket for about $1800 after you get $200 or so for the remains of your scooter .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 09-03-2013 05:18 PM In reply to

I can't understand why they don't make insurance compulsory in this country - at least 3rd party.  Firstly it protects everyone, secondly it keeps youngsters out of over-powered vehicles that they can't control.  Works a treat in the UK.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 09-03-2013 05:28 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

I can't understand why they don't make insurance compulsory in this country - at least 3rd party.  Firstly it protects everyone, secondly it keeps youngsters out of over-powered vehicles that they can't control.  Works a treat in the UK.

Yep it sure does sometimes the insurance cost is far in excess of the cost of buying the vehicle

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 09-03-2013 06:45 PM In reply to

I remember seeing that on Top Gear. I'm of the opinion that if you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to buy it (or breed it for that matter).

All my toys are insured to at least Third Party Property.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-05-2013 08:58 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

steve@ace:
    I can't understand why they don't make insurance compulsory in this country - at least 3rd party

I've never been able to understand why we don't make minimum 3rd party property compulsory , would be so easy to implement .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 09-05-2013 10:24 AM In reply to

would not make a lot of difference because there are people out there with no money to spend on things like insurance or rego, they just go on doing whatever they want to regardless of the consequences to themselves or anybodyelse.

Hatrick

hatrick
  • 09-05-2013 12:43 PM In reply to

hatrick:

would not make a lot of difference because there are people out there with no money to spend on things like insurance or rego, they just go on doing whatever they want to regardless of the consequences to themselves or anybodyelse.

Hatrick

I thought those new fangled police cameras read plates & automatically now red flagged any vehicles with no rego

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au