Scooter
Community

Mopeds and the law in Qld - common misconceptions!

Last post 12-03-2013 08:08 AM by Twonk. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2013 05:55 PM In reply to

Re: Mopeds and thew in Qld - common misconceptions!

I find it curious that someone who is arguing a point of law (where everyone who questions it here is apparently wrong in your eyes) can't accept correction. I hope your clients don't mind either.

• 11-04-2013 06:01 PM In reply to

Re: Mopeds and the law in Qld - common misconceptions!

Steve,

By your reasoning (and ignoring the ADRS) any motorbike fitted with an electric motor is a moped. Further, kilowattage isn't mentioned so you could have a 10HP (roughly 7500kW) electric motor in the frame. 

The ADRs provide the sanity for this, by referencing a particular regulated speed.

• 11-05-2013 03:14 PM In reply to

Re: Mopeds and thew in Qld - common misconceptions!

Hi. Bloody hell Steve take a pill, take a breath, buy a motorcycle and forget about it !! Lifes to short.

• 11-06-2013 12:18 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

68 404:

. . .  you could have a 10HP (roughly 7500kW) electric motor in the frame. 

. . . 

As I appeared to have strayed into the corrections thread, would you like to take a deep breath, think carefully, and then repost the above? Or is my arithmetic that bad?

The Red Menace
  • 11-06-2013 01:25 PM In reply to

7.4569987 KW Geeked

• 11-06-2013 05:29 PM In reply to

Oops. That would be watts, not kilowatts Confused

Mea culpa, mea culpa etc

Beer

• 11-28-2013 06:20 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Steve, Qld registration of a motorbike under the LA ADR compliance is simple, the manufacturer certifies its compliance and fits the compliance plate.  After registration with the LA compliance plate the rider with a car license can ride the motorbike.

If your Aprilia has a LA compliance plate you can ride it with a car license.  If you are caught doing 60km/hr by a competent policeman (even in a 70km/hr road) he has the right to question whether your scooter is roadworthy and has reasonable cause to do whatever they do for unroadworthy vehicles and he can book you for operating an unroadworthy vehicle.

If your Aprilia has an LC compliance plate, you need a motorcycle license to ride it.

I have a LA complianced scooter modified to comfortably do 70km/hr, I have a motorcycle license.  If a policeman books me for an unroadworthy vehicle I am guilty.

If you have a very old 50cc motorbike made before compliance plates, like a Honda C100.  If you can get it over 50km/hr, you will recieve the congratulations of the whole motorcycling community including most motorcycle police.  My understanding of the law is a Honda C100 is you need a motorcycle license to ride it because it does not have a LA compliance plate

I've been doing vehicle rules, and laws for a long time and I have never seen a lawyer that did not comprehend the difference between the Commonwealth Rules and State Legislation.

I agree with your assessment of Queensland Laws, search Rotary Bikes who make proper Mopeds (MOtor PEDal) and the fact Queensland has banned their use is proof Queensland has stuffed up.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 12-03-2013 08:08 AM In reply to

• Twonk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-20-2013
    • Posts 6

In a similar vain; I live in Qld and purchased a Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport recently, I have a full bike licence (R). My wife wants to ride the scoot and has a full car licence, so she undertook her RE license.

When she went to the Qld Transport Dept to update her licence after passing her RE, she was told by two employees that she would be restricted to a 250cc, we tried to explain that she would only be restricted to an auto (under 650cc) but these guys were adamant. (she actually sat her test on her bike).

i suppose my point is, besides the fact these people seem to think they are the oracle on everything and definitely are not, is that if they don't know what the rules are then You shouldn't be surprised that there is so much confusion!

Note; no apology given for spelling mistakes or incorrect units etc, etc

Scootineer
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au