Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

moving on..

Last post 11-21-2013 03:17 PM by Mike Holland. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2013 08:13 AM

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

moving on..

Well after going through 3 scooters in not many years, starting with a vmoto monaco progressing to scarabeo 200 and currenlty a scarabeo 300 and clocking up some 66,000km between them it's time to move on.

Getting myself a new KLR650, had one of these back (gen 1) back in 2004 and loved it...so time to get another..will miss the scoot for it's carrying ability.  Already spent some $ on extras for the new nike and i haven't even taken delivery of it yet.

Wasn't able to sell the Beo 300 privately so unfortuantly had to trade it in and get a shitty wholesale price for it..(i've got it till Friday if someone wants a solid scoot with full history for a good price) but it will be nice to get back on a big bore thumper again.  Pick it up on Friday....

I'll still be here now and again to see what's happening out there...and i'll still give ya'll a wave Smile

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 11-13-2013 08:20 AM In reply to

Re: moving on..

All the best with the Kwaka & don't be a stranger Yes

• 11-14-2013 04:36 PM In reply to

Hi guys Alot of you own a bike aswel as a bike so why is it that its so hard to get a wave or nod from someone on a bike ?are we the little brothers noone wonts around ? Cause that sucks ! When i was on my bike it was odd when some didnt wave back.

• 11-14-2013 05:07 PM In reply to

john felton:

Hi guys Alot of you own a bike aswel as a bike so why is it that its so hard to get a wave or nod from someone on a bike ?are we the little brothers noone wonts around ? Cause that sucks ! When i was on my bike it was odd when some didnt wave back.

Think this as been discussed before http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/11411/76175.aspx#76175

• 11-15-2013 03:25 PM In reply to

Heck I get nodded and waved at by nearly everyone on a two wheeled contraption, even had Harley riders give me the nod.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 11-15-2013 03:52 PM In reply to

Loose Change:

Heck I get nodded and waved at by nearly everyone one on a two wheeled contraption, even had Harley riders give me the nod.

Theres a guy I have passed almost every day on my way to work riding a Harley.  Made it my mission to get a nod from him.  I can tell I'm slowly breaking him down after 3 years I reckon he'll crack soon. 

It's amusing the reactions I used to get riding the zip 50 and nodding or waving to others.  Even got caught up once on my zip riding with actual bikies from some WA club.  Had one burley fella on some monsterous bike make a comment at the lights that I needed a real bike, so I said so did he.  Both laughed and then he took off. 

Oh and all the best  Paul.  I'm sure the call of the scoot will get you again eventually.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 11-16-2013 12:32 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 119

john felton:
    ...so why is it that its so hard to get a wave or nod from someone on a bike?

I have owned many bikes and scooters over the years. I have this odd belief that its nice to wave to fellow riders (same as I used to do in my MG owning past). And I find it odd that some bike riders won't wave back especially to a scooter rider. However, with my new Honda Forza lots more bike riders wave. I think that this happens because at a quick glance at highway speed my scooter looks like a 600 cc sports bike.

On a related issue, I am a member of our local Ulysses Branch and when we go for a ride there are some "real bike riders" in the Branch who seem to be unable to ride behind a scooter. They have to pass and then settle back to the same near legal speeds the group was riding at but in front of the guy on the scooter. Bloody odd!

Paul, good luck with the KLR-600 they are a great bike. Years ago I had a Yamaha XT-600 and loved it. My favourite current motorcycle is the KTM 690 Duke; Oh! if only the body was supple enough to ride one of these.

Regards,
    Peter 

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 11-16-2013 01:42 PM In reply to

On second thoughts, maybe it's not me personally they are waving at but rather the oddity riding a tricycle.  Confused

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 11-16-2013 08:23 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Perth, Western Australia
    • Posts 33

All the best to you, Paul. Have fun on your new bike and don't be a stranger, OK?

This morning I went for a ride down to Cannington to pick up a couple of items, and had 2 big blokes on customised Harleys and leather vests with patches riding behind me. When we got to the next red light, they actually waited for me to move off, and both nodded at me when they passed me after I had changed lanes! Also, a bloke on a goldwing was coming the other way and nodded to me as he passed.

It may be the fact I ride a larger "touring" type scooter which could be mistaken for a large touring motorbike, but I find most other riders in my area (south eastern suburbs of Perth) including the "outlaw bikers" are fairly friendly.

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 11-16-2013 09:32 PM In reply to

When I was coming back from the Snowy Ride last week on my maxsym 400 it was very cold, about 3 degrees at this point, and we had to stop for some road works, a group of Harley riders came up and stopped in front and beside me, I looked the one beside me and said "it's cold isn't it"' he slowly pulled down his skull mask and said "we just came down from Thedbo and I cant feel my effing arms or legs", I replied that he should consider riding a scooter! He just stared at me with a blank look on his face and then we both started laughing.......

2015 BMW C650 GT Special Edition
    2012 BMW C650 GT, gone
    MaxSYM 400i.. gone
    Sym Firenze 300i... gone
    Royal Enfield C5... gone

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of the window
  • 11-16-2013 09:47 PM In reply to

Jenshore:

He slowly pulled down his skull mask and said "we just came down from Thedbo and I cant feel my effing arms or legs", I replied that he should consider riding a scooter! He just stared at me with a blank look on his face and then we both started laughing.......

He probably still doesn't get the joke Wink

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 11-19-2013 02:42 PM In reply to

I got the equivalent of a "nod" from a truck driver a little while ago.

A few months ago I was taking a rail replacement bus at about 3am from Mt Vic to Lithgow and chatted to the bus driver. A truck overtook him and he flashed his headlights at the truck. I asked why, the truck did nothing wrong? The driver explained it is a courtesy amongst trucks and buses to flash your headlights when someone is overtaking you to let them know it is safe to change lanes (since you can't see much out of the mirror). Then, the overtaker puts on his right then the left indicator to say "thank you." before changing lanes in front of you.

So when I was on the highway and a truck overtook me I flashed my headlight at him when he was all the way past me, and he flashed his right then left indicator!! He was probably amused to see a motorcycle do this, perhaps he figured I was a retired truck driver or something :-)

• 11-19-2013 08:44 PM In reply to

When i am sitting behind road-trains the nice ones will flash on there right indicator when its safe to overtake

• 11-21-2013 02:04 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-16-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 652

Thanks guys - looks like someone in Melbourne is interested in the scooter...

http://www.crazydogs.com.au/Used-Bikes.html

Cheers,
    Paul

Now Scarabeo 300 June 11 with Arrow pipe..oh yea!
    previously Scarabeo 200 (with gpr pipe) Oct 09 - June 11 (18,450km)
    previously Vmoto Monaco Apr 09 -Oct 09

*lusting after a GTS, but a few good models for 2013*

• 11-21-2013 03:17 PM In reply to

I scoot up to Pie-in-the-Sky about twice a week, and I usually get a nod from the motorcyclists on that route. But I mostly go up on weekdays, and the motorcyclists I see are probably retirees like me. The ones who don't nod are usully wearing full, multicoloured leathers and riding cafe-racers.

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au