Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

2 stroke

Last post 06-18-2017 11:47 PM by INMA. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2013 10:46 AM

2 stroke

Hi guys how long will a 2 stroke motor last? Axd what is the best oil to use the oil ive been useing just says 2 stroke i cant even find the name.

• 11-15-2013 03:29 PM In reply to

Re: 2 stroke

1 Two many variables in type of engine & type of  lubrication  system to hazard a guess

2 In my recent two strokes used any semi-synthetic 2T oil available when needed with no trouble

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-16-2013 04:16 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 437

+1 to what Pyrah said.

Don't use outboard or lawnmower/greenkeeper/brushcutter oil.It may not burn very clean, and you might blow lots of smoke and after a while need to de-coke the exhaust or cylinder head.

Use a semi-synthetic scooter or motorcycle oil from a brand you recognise and you will be fine. Double check on the back it's OK for use in injection systems (unless you do pre-mix), It should be rated as JASO FC. Most of the suitable oils are in the range of $10-$16/litre bottle.

No need to go full synthetic/racing oil for road use, a total waste of money.

• 11-16-2013 04:42 PM In reply to

hi guys thanks for the advice the oil i was useing was jaso FB

• 11-16-2013 07:29 PM In reply to

A good extra virgin olive oil should do the trick

Best Jim 

Vespa PX150
    Polini 177
    Match ported
    Opened rotary pad
    Mip cut crank
    Sip 24si carb
    Cosa 22 primary upgear
    Polini exhaust
  • 12-13-2013 11:03 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

A stock YAmaha or similar 2 stroke 50cc scooter should last 30,000km before needing a new piston and cylinder ($100 from overseas).

JASO FC is good oil per other's comments.

Once you start modifying a 50cc for more power then 10,000km out of a cylinder is pretty good.  There are so many things to go wrong once you double or tripple the power of the engine.

In stock form they are pretty tough with wear on the transmission being the big service item more than the engine.

The variator and torque driver adjustments are more critical on a stock engine because there is no power to waste but once you have a lot more power, the transmission seems to be less of an issue for road use.

I've never heard of final drive problems on the Yamahas but the Chinese stuff seems to have issues.

Stock rear shock absorbers don't last forever and upgrades at about $60 seem to last well

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 01-05-2014 07:57 PM In reply to

30000k outa a stock 50 2 stroke? It would be running very sad. New piston and rings every 10000, new ring/s every 5000k. new top end 30000.

Use the best 2 stroke oil you can afford that is easily available eg sold at brand name garages etc. Using oil that is not readily accessable is no good if you run out 300kays from home or shop.

As for yamaha drives I have about 15 on the shelf with various problems, in fact I am yet to meet a yamaha scooter owner that has not had problems and these days nearly all variator stuff comes from china as well as 90% of most scooter parts(big name stuff too).

Rollers on a stock scoot that is flogged(arent they all) will flat side them in 1000k or sooner with a rider over 80kg.

Modding your 50 scooter will see trans etc lasting longer from my experience if it is done correctly! (have a few scooter endurance races etc under my belt both stock and modded classes) I ride a 110kph Milan daily and have no probs with the drive line using cheap chinese parts off ebay.

Variator/drive set up is by far more important on say a 70cc kitted 50, have had plenty come to me with all the good engine stuff done right, but performance gains were not much better than stock because they did not understand how to tune the drive in. When modded the rpm that power is made changes, so trans must be set for this.

Most people do not understand scooter engines run like a stationary engine, not a motorbike engine.

Try putting a 70 kit on a jog 50 without doing the drive and they actually run worse than if left stock!

Also I see people changing to different tyre brands that are a different diameter and not realising they need to re-do the drive for them, they just complain about loss of power.

• 06-18-2017 11:47 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Bobalini, I've done nearly 20,000 km with my Doppler variator and the standard Yamaha final drive on a standard belt tuned for 8500 rpm.

Its time to throw away roller weight variators and use the better Doppler variator.

I did not find the kevlar belt reliable so I went for a standard belt that does fine.

I've also got 10,000 km out of the DR 68cc cylinder so I'd be disapointed to have to replace a stock piston at 10,000 km. Others who regularly use there stock scooters seem to do a lot more than 10,000km on other forums. Of course use cheap oil or don't run them hard and they will carbon up.

And before assuming my scooter has light work, I was 150 kg when I started riding it and I'm still 110 kg and using it. In the early days I lost two pistons but that was aircleaner leaks causing lean mixture. But since then 10,000km limiting it to 9000 rpm and 70 km/hr and I slow down on stinking hot days.

From its records when I got my Zuma, it had over 10,000 km on the standard engine but I needed more power hence the upgrades.

I would never own a roller variator again, my Doppler has maintained engine speed flawlessly for 20,000 km, no adjustments, the only check was to clean belt dust.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au