Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Looking for some advice

Last post 12-01-2013 09:41 PM by wombat. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2013 01:15 PM

Looking for some advice

Hey guys,

I looked into buying a scooter a while back but had to put it off due to some unplanned expenses.  But I'm not looking to purchase one and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm looking for a retro styled scooter, like the Vespa LX150 or PX125-150 but without the hefty pricetag.  I'd say my budget is around $3500.00 max. Can anyone give me some advice on which brands to get, looking for something that will last.  I'm also looking for any scooter shops that I could go to with friendly and helpful staff.  I've heard some horror stories about a few shops around Sydney, that partake in dodgy practices like sabotaging the scooter so you have to come back and get it fixed etc. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 12-01-2013 01:30 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for some advice

Top 3, in no particular order and my opinion only - SYM Classic, Kymco Like and TGB Bellavita

They're all automatics, like an LX, if you want PX style manual gears, you'd be looking at a SYM Symba (but I don't think they've got a clutch lever, it's centripetal, like a postie bike)

I think the TGB might be a little more than you were looking at spending, but the SYM and Kymco are bang on your budget last time I looked. I'm pretty rapt in the SYM I've got. It's a VS150, which isn't retro like you were looking for, but it's done almost 17,000 K's carting my 100 Kg-ish frame around.

Whereabouts are you, so that the locals on here can recommend a shop near you?

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 12-01-2013 01:43 PM In reply to

Ah thanks so much,

I'm located in Sydney, and definitely looking for an Automatic.  

Those brands were all on my radar aside from the Bellavita, so I'll check that one out as well.

Have also been looking at the Torino Galletta/Famosa/Classic, so if anyone has any experience with them that would be appreciated.  

• 12-01-2013 05:41 PM In reply to

Don't do it stick to the brands Mr Wombat as recommended that will be the cheapest options in the long run IMHO Big Smile

• 12-01-2013 06:20 PM In reply to

Torino is a big step down in quality and reliability. It may sound Italian, but it's made as cheaply as possible in China.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 12-01-2013 07:05 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Piaggio Fly 150ie retails rideaway Price of -$3,690.00 - $3,500.00.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio fly 150 and lovin it.

• 12-01-2013 07:05 PM In reply to

Looks like the Kymco Like 200i is around $3450 on the road now http://www.scootersales.com.au/scooters-367/kymco/like200i.aspx

• 12-01-2013 08:11 PM In reply to

Thanks guys,

I'll avoid the Torinos, seems like I'll likely go with the Sym Classic, can anyone recommend a good shop local to Sydney that sells them?

• 12-01-2013 09:41 PM In reply to

scoota.com.au should have a list of the dealers.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au