Scooter
Community

Piaggio Fly 125 not kicking over. Dead starter motor?

Last post 12-22-2013 03:09 PM by mukki. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2013 11:06 AM

• mukki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-14-2013
    • Posts 5

Piaggio Fly 125 not kicking over. Dead starter motor?

Hi everyone,

hope someone can help me with my issue.  My 2008 Piaggio fly 125 engine cut out as I stopped at the lights the other day and would not kick over.  This has happened to me a hand full of times over the last 6 months stopping at lights and entering round abouts.All I can hear is the starter relay switch clicking but no starter motor.  Battery was replaced sometime mid year.  Jump start from car did not do anything.  Overnight recharge did nothing.  I tried putting direct current to the positive and earth terminal of the starter motor hoping to see some life but got nothing. 

Does anyone have any other tests for me to confirm if my starter motor is dead?  Could it be an imobiliser issue?  how do I diagnose that?  the led in the tacho does not blink or turn on.  I don't think I've ever noticed it turning on or payed attention.

Really want to get it up an running again for the Xmas /NYE festivities.  Any recomendations for a trustworthy scooter mechanic in the S.E Suburbs of Melbourne?  Has anyone used Starcycles in moorabbin?

Cheers

• 12-16-2013 11:25 AM In reply to

Re: Piaggio Fly 125 not kicking over. Dead starter motor?

If it's dying randomly at the traffic lights/roundabouts (i'm reading low engine revs) that's odd for a starter motor to cause that. The starter motor should do only that. Start the motor, then sit there like a lump of coal. If the relay clicks and there's no starter cranking - that's usually low battery (unless it's the immobilizer, I've got no experience with those). First thing I'd do is check the battery voltage with a multimeter.

I don't know any mechanics in S.E Melbourne, but I'm sure someone here does. Is there a Piaggio/Vespa dealer (who should have all the right diagnostic gear) out towards your way - check their website

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 12-16-2013 11:54 AM In reply to

• mukki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-14-2013
    • Posts 5

thanks for the reply.  yeah I don't think the starter motor is the cause of the engine dying on stops either but there has been one occasion where the starter motor has kept on kicking over even when engine has already started.

I was hoping the jumpstart would pinpoint the battery as being the issue but not the case.  Do you know if my direct power to starter motor test is valid or have I been watching too much McGyver?  I've just taken it out.

• 12-16-2013 07:23 PM In reply to

Wondering bad connection somewhere ?

• 12-16-2013 10:20 PM In reply to

• mukki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-14-2013
    • Posts 5

I was hoping too it was just a bad connection.  No idea re electrics so I've just given it to a mech.  initial inspection suggests its something abit more serious internally thats stopping the starter motor from turning.  hoping its just the belt.  scooters only done 4k's.  will know by tomorrow

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 12-17-2013 04:15 PM In reply to

If the starter motor's not disengaging, that's an unusual one, and suggests the fault is in the starter motor.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 12-17-2013 04:22 PM In reply to

• mukki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-14-2013
    • Posts 5

it turned out my initial theory on the starter motor was right even though mech confidently disagreed with that call on callout.  ah well, guess I paid for piece of mind.  Should trust my gut more ha. would have saved a couple bucks.

Peter stevens quoted $375 for OEM replacement.  I am looking at a $120 generic one from the UK.  Does anyone have any cheaper sources for a piaggio fly 125 starter motor?  Used one from a wrecker is $125 but not sure how long that will last.

Cheers

• 12-17-2013 05:26 PM In reply to

I'd go the generic one, unless you're in a hurry, then go to a wrecker's. Peter Stevens wants triple the price of the other 2 options.

• 12-17-2013 07:23 PM In reply to

Funnily enough the generic one could be from the same factory as the brand one . Years ago in NZ they checked out the price of a switch for a tractor . John Deer was the dearest followed by the Lucas then the no brand one & yes all from the same factory same switch different packaging

• 12-18-2013 07:39 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

You could order a starter motor for gps imports for Piaggio fly 125/150cc for price :$249.95. it has to be order in , not in stock.

link:http://www.gpsimports.com.au/products-details.php?productId=2752&search=product&engineType=3&productCategoryId=260

mukki:

it turned out my initial theory on the starter motor was right even though mech confidently disagreed with that call on callout.  ah well, guess I paid for piece of mind.  Should trust my gut more ha. would have saved a couple bucks.

Peter stevens quoted $375 for OEM replacement.  I am looking at a $120 generic one from the UK.  Does anyone have any cheaper sources for a piaggio fly 125 starter motor?  Used one from a wrecker is $125 but not sure how long that will last.

Cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio fly 150 and lovin it .

• 12-22-2013 03:09 PM In reply to

• mukki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-14-2013
    • Posts 5

thanks guys.

Yep I wouldn't be surprised too if the generic one is of the same build as the OEM, I ended up ordering it so will see how it goes.  $375 is just extortion for a euro scooter with no kick starter. It has begun to put me off piaggio's. 

I've ridden my mates kymco and even though its abit rougher running, everything just makes sense on it from indicator reminder noise, to immediate crank start, to seat staying up when filling up, to auto flip up kick stand, to metal mirrors instead of cheap plastic ones, to the most important feature, a bloody kick starter lol.

Thanks for the GPSIMPORTS link.  I'll keep them in mind if anything else breaks on me.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au