Scooter
Community

Not necessarily scooter talk per se but the Honda CTX700D...

Last post 03-27-2014 04:26 PM by HB-Zip50. 59 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2014 02:48 PM In reply to

Re: Not necessarily scooter talk per se but the Honda CTX700D...

CrazyCam:

Interestingly enough, Ducati have had enough interest in the Ozzie market to produce a detuned, smaller capacity Monster, the 659, which is identical to their 696, but with JUST under the limit in engine size.

Triumph, also, are planning to release their Street Triple as a LAMS machine, reducing the capacity very slightly, from 675 to 658, and the power output cut almost in half.

The street Triple from what I have read is really pushing the boundaries on the LAMS rules too.  Capacity is under the 660cc limit and the power to weight fits in around the 148 or 149kw/tonne mark.  Very clever. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-07-2014 05:50 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

HB-Zip50:

CrazyCam:

Interestingly enough, Ducati have had enough interest in the Ozzie market to produce a detuned, smaller capacity Monster, the 659, which is identical to their 696, but with JUST under the limit in engine size.

Triumph, also, are planning to release their Street Triple as a LAMS machine, reducing the capacity very slightly, from 675 to 658, and the power output cut almost in half.

The street Triple from what I have read is really pushing the boundaries on the LAMS rules too.  Capacity is under the 660cc limit and the power to weight fits in around the 148 or 149kw/tonne mark.  Very clever. 

I dunno Zip.

The full bottle Street Triple is a very nice bike to ride.

One with only about half the horsepower, frankly, I'd expect to be extremely underwhelming.

Also, what a LAMS Stiple will do to the future sales of the "real" 675, I really don't know, but I suspect that if folk were silly enough to pay top dollar for the LAMS Striple, they'd want to go a bit more seriously upmarket than buy a 675R or even a Daytona.

But, anyone who can be sure of marketing strategy success can basically name their own price in the jobs market.   Smile

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 03-07-2014 06:00 PM In reply to

Ducati seem happy to also offer a LAMs 659cc Monster . Maybe the resale value of the LAMs versions will be higher if you remember the inflated prices the old learner 250 class commandeered

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-07-2014 06:02 PM In reply to

CrazyCam:
    I dunno Zip.

The full bottle Street Triple is a very nice bike to ride.

One with only about half the horsepower, frankly, I'd expect to be extremely underwhelming.

Also, what a LAMS Stiple will do to the future sales of the "real" 675, I really don't know, but I suspect that if folk were silly enough to pay top dollar for the LAMS Striple, they'd want to go a bit more seriously upmarket than buy a 675R or even a Daytona.

But, anyone who can be sure of marketing strategy success can basically name their own price in the jobs market.   Smile 

I have wondered how these dropped versions will sell and also how much they will take away from normal unrestricted bikes.  To me, if I was buying a 659 Duke or a Striple 658, I wouldnt be buying the unrestricted version 12 months down the track unless I knew that the extra power made it impossible not to upgrade.    But to me the logical move from the 659 Monster, if you loved the bike, would be to the 1200 Monster, not the 696.....

Edit, just saw they also make a 796 Monster........ people must be buying these things for them to keep chucking need variations into the mix. 

There is probably some high paid Italian or English fellas who's sole job was to work out the feasibility of manufacturing these models and predicted sales so I'll leave it to them and wish them luck.  I'll be sticking with my scooters for a while yet.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-07-2014 08:12 PM In reply to

Harley Davidson Australia reckon there are 750,000 people in Australia now who hold motorcycle licenses but who don't currently own a bike.  They are introducing the Street series of bikes with one being a 500cc LAMS targeted bike.  It's a bobber style, that looks like it might do well here.

2014 Honda NSS300 Forza
  • 03-07-2014 11:32 PM In reply to

Think we will be only getting the 500 & not the 750 model will we get the Indian or American built machines ?

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-12-2014 07:56 PM In reply to

Not wanting to flog a dead horse, but I sent an email to Honda Australia the other day to let them know how I felt.   I didn't expect a reply really, but was surprised to get this today:

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Honda is the Manufacturer of the CTX700D and we do not set the regulations regarding Power to Weight ratio.

As the LAM's listing is determined by the Road Traffic / Transport Authority for your state, we would recommend speaking to them regarding you concerns.

We appreciate your feedback however the specifications for the CTX700D are determined by the Honda Design team and this unit is also distributed throughout many worldwide market, not just in Australia.

We trust this clarifies.

Kind Regards,

Nadiene Stewart
    Customer Relations Team
    Honda Australia MPE Pty Ltd

So, I guess they do listen.  Ironically though, it's not the power to weight ratio that's keeping the ctx700 out of contention.  It's just the extra 10cc size. It just seems a pity, especially when you look at the Top 10 selling bikes in Australia last year, I think they were all LAMS restricted.  Anyway, it's not to be for another 10 months at least for me.  Pity.

2014 Honda NSS300 Forza
  • 03-12-2014 09:15 PM In reply to

Yep have always found Honda Australia very good and speedy at answering inquiries Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-13-2014 08:47 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Kevin Nugent:

Harley Davidson Australia reckon there are 750,000 people in Australia now who hold motorcycle licenses but who don't currently own a bike.  They are introducing the Street series of bikes with one being a 500cc LAMS targeted bike.  It's a bobber style, that looks like it might do well here.

Dunno about that.

I remember, back when I was more involved with rider training, a few folk telling me that they just wanted to get their licence, then they'd just sit, without a bike, unil their restrictions were over, so that they could then buy and ride a "proper" H-D.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again, the older I get the less I understand of the world.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 03-13-2014 07:39 PM In reply to

CrazyCam:

Kevin Nugent:

Dunno about that.

I remember, back when I was more involved with rider training, a few folk telling me that they just wanted to get their licence, then they'd just sit, without a bike, unil their restrictions were over, so that they could then buy and ride a "proper" H-D.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but then again, the older I get the less I understand of the world.

Here in Qld, you do a course and get your restricted license covering everything up to 660cc.  You have to hold that for 12 months, and then you must do another course to get your unrestricted R license.  Just waiting the 12 months won't do it.  And to get your R unrestricted license you must pass the course riding an unrestricted bike.

2014 Honda NSS300 Forza
  • 03-14-2014 07:40 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Kevin Nugent:

Here in Qld, you do a course and get your restricted license covering everything up to 660cc.  You have to hold that for 12 months, and then you must do another course to get your unrestricted R license.  Just waiting the 12 months won't do it.  And to get your R unrestricted license you must pass the course riding an unrestricted bike.

Back in the days I'm mumbling about, and they weren't THAT long ago, you went to a Brisbane H-D dealer, picked the Harley that you wanted, and the sales person produced the cattle dog of optional extras.

Rumour has it that the unrestricted R licence was just after the chrome sissie bar, and before the purple tassels for the bar ends.

It was certainly the cheapest add-on!

regards, CrazyCam
  • 03-14-2014 11:34 AM In reply to

CrazyCam:

Back in the days I'm mumbling about, and they weren't THAT long ago, you went to a Brisbane H-D dealer, picked the Harley that you wanted, and the sales person produced the cattle dog of optional extras.

Rumour has it that the unrestricted R licence was just after the chrome sissie bar, and before the purple tassels for the bar ends.

It was certainly the cheapest add-on!

I remember those days, Cam.  I originally went for my bike license many years ago through Morgan and Wacker - a large HD dealership here - they put me on a monstrous fire breathing thing to learn on. I didn't go back for Day 2 of the 2 day course. :)

2014 Honda NSS300 Forza
  • 03-14-2014 06:17 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Kevin Nugent:

I remember those days, Cam.  I originally went for my bike license many years ago through Morgan and Wacker - a large HD dealership here - they put me on a monstrous fire breathing thing to learn on. I didn't go back for Day 2 of the 2 day course. :)

Aye, Kevin, I did remember the name, but thought it best to skip quoting it.

What did you do wrong?

Not buy a 25 grand H-D from them?

regards, CrazyCam
  • 03-14-2014 06:34 PM In reply to

CrazyCam:

Kevin Nugent:

Aye, Kevin, I did remember the name, but thought it best to skip quoting it.

What did you do wrong?

Not buy a 25 grand H-D from them?

Can't remember any real pressure to buy.  Maybe that was part of day 2.   No, I think putting a newbie learner on a 1,100cc motorcycle and expecting them to pick things up in one day was a bit much.   I already had a deposit down on a Honda Shadow at the time.  Maybe that's why! ;)

2014 Honda NSS300 Forza
  • 03-24-2014 08:57 AM In reply to

Here's the latest spin-off from the 700 platform - the NM4 Vultus: http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/21/honda-nm4-vultus-first-look-concept-bike-review-photos/

Honda NM4 Vultus

The unholy love-child of a DN-01 and a TMax, instead of under-seat storage it has these crazy front panniers in its puffed-up cheeks:

All it needs is a Voltron sticker set!

Then: Daelim S1 125
    Now: Honda PCX 150
Page 3 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au