Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Wet butt.

Last post 03-30-2014 10:17 AM by davepoole. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2014 07:30 PM

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

Wet butt.

As the scooter is my only transport at the moment, (hubby needs the car for his work), I've had to endure the daily downpours we're having here on the NSW south coast at the moment.  Some of the rain has been the heaviest we've had for a long time.  It's amazing how much longer it takes to gear up before going to work, and before coming home, with all the extra layers and wet weather gear, but I think I need to get some new rain pants.  Although they seem waterproof, I end up with a wet butt every time.

I have to say though, that I've never thought the ride was a miserable experience, even if I'm wet and cold. It would take a lot to stop the sheer joy of riding my Vespa. 

Lyn, riding a 2010 Vespa GTS 250 in Dragon Red, whom I affectionately call Julia.
  • 03-26-2014 08:59 PM In reply to

Re: Wet butt.

Lyn, I don't know what the answer is either as the same thing happens to me. I have given up on wet weather gear, I sweat so much when I have it on, I get as wet on the inside as I do on the outside. Having said that it is more important to stay warm on a long ride rather than dry because your core temperature can drop dangerously low without you being aware of it and how much your decision making is affected. I try to wear clothing that will still keep me warm even when wet eg. wool and/or polar fleece.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 03-26-2014 09:09 PM In reply to

That's just the way it is: we can go into space, but we can't make seam that wouldn't leak... which is especially odd when you consider that non-leaking seams appear pretty essential for going into space!

• 03-26-2014 10:21 PM In reply to

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

So true ferrix.  and good point Loosey. I'll have to make sure I'm wearing the right fabrics layered underneath. Looks like getting damp is inevitable.

Lyn, riding a 2010 Vespa GTS 250 in Dragon Red, whom I affectionately call Julia.
  • 03-26-2014 10:54 PM In reply to

You could try one of those scooter skirt things (lap apron) popular in Europe . See Corazzo make them so maybe the main man Allen can get them Big Smile

• 03-27-2014 05:12 AM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

Most overtrousers are fine when worn standing up and the rain is running down and off straight away. Sitting and having a 60k breeze pushing the water back into the seams soon finds the weaknesses. 

After 45 years riding, I have pretty much given up on motorcycle ' specific' gear and find the farming retail sector have some good gear. which are as waterproof as any. 

Awa and Buggsy
  • 03-27-2014 02:52 PM In reply to

• hank
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-01-2010
    • Posts 281

yep i wear an old drizabone up top (they get better with age). and just make do with wet legs in jeans or cheap waterpro er resistant trousers to block the wind more than anything

i cant explain myself im afraid sir, because im not myself you see
  • 03-27-2014 05:36 PM In reply to

I have a set of motoline pants that have done me very well.  Apart from being a little short (the joys of being skinny and tall) they tend to keep me very dry. 

Perhaps, like our car drivers, Perth rain is a little thicker and the doesn't get through the seams Stick out tongue

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-27-2014 05:55 PM In reply to

• lvardz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2012
    • South Coast NSW
    • Posts 127

Now I'm a girl, but even I would feel silly having the scooter skirt, I think. Not my cup of tea. If I ever experience a ride around Europe I might reconsider.

• 03-27-2014 06:24 PM In reply to

I use the latest top of the line Dri-Rider gear.....

And although looking fashionable, it dosent offer too much more.

When it rains, i expect to get very wet indeed.

I do however keep a rain suit stowed away under my seat for security.

Shayne

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 03-27-2014 06:51 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

I have a set of motoline pants that have done me very well.  Apart from being a little short (the joys of being skinny and tall) they tend to keep me very dry. 

Perhaps, like our car drivers, Perth rain is a little thicker and the doesn't get through the seams Stick out tongue

Devil LOL maybe the rain can't find you but just be careful when walking over grates  Yes Big Smile

• 03-27-2014 09:25 PM In reply to

Spent all day in the rain on a scooter yesterday. Top wringing wet pants dry as?I'll get the name of them and post it tomorrow.

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 03-27-2014 11:49 PM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

awa355:

Most overtrousers are fine when worn standing up and the rain is running down and off straight away. Sitting and having a 60k breeze pushing the water back into the seams soon finds the weaknesses. 

After 45 years riding, I have pretty much given up on motorcycle ' specific' gear and find the farming retail sector have some good gear. which are as waterproof as any. 

This is pertty much it.

They key to motorcycling in the wet is to stay warm, not dry.

For my daily commute, I just use the cheap motodry overpants, they are ok unless its torrential. The cheap overpants need to be replaced yearly. For serious touring, I have some sailing long johns that have saved me down in the souther ocean, so must be OK. I also have some expensive touring motorcycle pants, which are really good, but at $500 odd you can buy a lot of hurricane suits.

• 03-28-2014 09:00 AM In reply to

Worst thing about wet gear it getting it on. It is a real hassle puling the pants over my shoes (I have large feet), and if I took my shoes off I would have wet socks! Getting the gear off again is an equal hassle.

Doesn't help that at my old age I have difficulty reaching down to my raised foot to pull the pants over. Sad

Mike

• 03-28-2014 09:23 AM In reply to

Hey, something just struck me: if you combined Wet Butt with Iron Butt, would you end up with Rusty Butt? :)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au