Scooter
Community

What GPS and where to buy

Last post 04-07-2014 07:54 AM by CrazyCam. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2014 11:01 PM

What GPS and where to buy

Moved from accessories 

Hi All! I've just cooked/drowned or shook to death my car GPS in the rain last Wednesday.Embarrassed

What GPS do you use on the bike/scooter and where did you buy it?Confused

I've just found a Garmin zuma390 on ebay for $318.00 Aussie. With warranty.Big Smile

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 03-29-2014 11:14 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Re: What GPS and where to buy

Go for it, I have the 350LM, just need to wire it directly to the battery, it can be finnicky with canbus connections. It's a good GPS, works well with gloves and manages to always keep me under the speed limit Embarrassed

I can take ride routes from Google and convert them to tracks and/or routes that can be uploaded to the GPS.

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 03-30-2014 02:21 PM In reply to

• TRA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Posts 302

I use a Garmin Montana. Bought if for the DR650 and bush bashing, but got rugged  mounts on all the bikes now. Its got the best screen out of any GPS I have used so far, and it can be seen in full sunlight.

• 03-31-2014 07:59 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

Dunno about anyone else, but I have given up on GPSs as such.

What now works for me is that my phone has a built-in GPS, and I have loaded it with Ozzie mapping, so I don't need to use up data transfer for it to work as a GPS, and it still works, even in areas with no mobile phone coverage.

Apart from the odd time I have forgotten my phone, I generally have it with me, with charged up battery and I also have the wee earplug speaker things, so I can just set up the phone to tell me where to go and I just follow the instructions. Being a married man, I am used to this!

When I did use "real" GPSs, I found the screens to be a distraction and nuisance.

Obviously, YMMV

Warning: Posting may contain traces of sarcasm and/or nuts.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 04-04-2014 08:56 AM In reply to

• didediedide
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2013
    • Cameron Park Newcastle
    • Posts 43

Crazycam, do you have an android phone and is Ozzie mapping an app you can down load , do you find it is quite accurate , so far I haven't been able to locate it.

Has anyone tried a app called Sygic I tried a free version and it seemed to be okay

Eccles, how difficult is it to upload routes worked out on google maps to gps and do you think it would be possible to upload them to a Samsung android phone

regards Paul

• 04-04-2014 04:01 PM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

didediedide:

Crazycam, do you have an android phone and is Ozzie mapping an app you can down load , do you find it is quite accurate , so far I haven't been able to locate it.

Hi Paul.

To be honest, I dunno if I have an android phone or not.

It's a Nokia, C5-00.

It came with, built in, GPS and navigation.

There is a web site that allowed me to down load maps for various countries, for free onto my PC, then I copied them over to the phone.

Just after I got the phone, my wife and I went to Greece for three months, and the phone, with its mapping, was wonderful.

I also, occasionally, use it here in Oz, when I am lost, or looking for an unknown destination and it works a treat.

There are options, which I have switched off, for using mobile phone towers to speed up the "find location" function, and I have also switched off all data downloading attached to the navigation business.

My phone, over two years old now, is hardly state of the art, so I assume that newer phones will have, at the very least, an equivalent capability, althoug I suppose the prefered option for the phone companies is to maximise data downloads so they make more money.

regards, CrazyCam
  • 04-04-2014 06:40 PM In reply to

• didediedide
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2013
    • Cameron Park Newcastle
    • Posts 43

G'Day Crazycam I had a look on the net and I don't think your phone is an android, my samsung galaxy phone has a navigation app installed " Navigon" which seems ok but if routes can be pre planned (with via points) like you can do on my laptop using google maps and then uploaded to the Navigon app on the phone it would suit my purpose .

Eccles is that what you do with your GPS ie has the planned route got to be converted to a different file type prior to being uploaded

Regards Paul

• 04-04-2014 09:57 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

didediedide:
    Eccles is that what you do with your GPS ie has the planned route got to be converted to a different file type prior to being uploaded

If using the Garmin Basecamp application, it handles the upload of all the data (routes, poi's, trackes etc) to the GPS natively.

For the Google Maps part, I use a program (Windows) called Tyres. Feed it the url of the Google map with the route and it will convert it to a garmin GPX file that can then be imported into Basecamp, thence, convert if necessary to track/route or whatever and upload to the GPS from there.

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 04-05-2014 11:24 AM In reply to

Eccles!

Devil So! Today is Saturday.Smile Haven't You got something for us?Ick!. Say, something in silver? Surely you've got time to get off the bloody thing and take a photoMovieMovieMovie I'm sorry! I've got to stop this droolingBig Smile

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 04-05-2014 01:56 PM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

I use a road map and read signposts. Usually fairly reliable. 

Awa and Buggsy
  • 04-07-2014 07:54 AM In reply to

• CrazyCam
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2013
    • Beecroft, NSW
    • Posts 211

didediedide:

G'Day Crazycam I had a look on the net and I don't think your phone is an android, my samsung galaxy phone has a navigation app installed " Navigon" which seems ok but if routes can be pre planned (with via points) like you can do on my laptop using google maps and then uploaded to the Navigon app on the phone it would suit my purpose .

Oh, OK, you obviously have more complex requirements than I have, Paul.

BTW, and still on GPS topic, Mike Holland, if you read this, I have been carrying my simple GPS up to Pie in the Sky, for the last few days.

When are you likely to be up there next, so I can lend it to you?

regards, CrazyCam
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au