Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Scooter for long commute?

Last post 06-16-2014 09:03 PM by OX-34. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2014 02:24 PM In reply to

Re: Scooter for long commute?

Actually I recon any dealer with a jetmax will pay you to take it from them! 

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 06-08-2014 02:48 PM In reply to

• Gatesy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2014
    • Posts 6

Guys

Yesterday I picked up a Scarabeo 200 in white with a top box for $5490.  Wife was very supportive and i think actually is loking at one now as well.  Got a white helmet (without pinlock) and a jacket and gloves.  I got the cheapest full face helmet they have .................... because it fit the best.  I really wanted one with pinlock but the fit just wasnt right.  My opinion was i would rather trade in my $120 helmet when i need the pinlock then get pissed off because the one with pinlock really hurt my head after 5 minutes.  I couldnt ride away without a helmet so took the best fitting one.  

Pretty pleased with the jacket as it has a good warm lining (removable).  Also grabbed some wet weather over jacket and pants but really want something with abrasion resistance for my legs.  My friends call me health and safety gatesy for a reason.  Had a couple of rides locally yesterday day and night and need to work on some riding habits, turning my indicator off and looking in my mirrors more often.  I never had a mirror on my push bikes so not used to looking.  Also found myself breaking with only 2 fingers on the breaks (another bad MTB habit as the levers on the pushbike can only accomodate 2 fingers).

Thanks for all your advice on this topic, I will let you know how I am going.  Anyone suggest a good thread to read regarding abrassion resistant pants?

cheers

Gatesy

• 06-09-2014 03:45 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 28

Any motorbike shop will be a source of abrasion resistant pants.

Some suitable options are:

- Draggin jeans (and other brands) that are kevlar reinforced.

- Textile motorcycle pants just like your jacket which will also have abrasion resistance, thermal inserts and the like.

- Waterproof and sturdy 'overpants' so you can wear your work pants underneath. These are a bit harder to come by in decent quality.

• 06-09-2014 05:25 PM In reply to

My setup is a Dririder textile jacket (I paid $150 at a clearance store)

ebay  Kevlar jeans ($80)

waterproof pants from a workwear store ($30) but workwear and camping stores have overpants cheaper than any motorbike shop will.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-10-2014 08:04 AM In reply to

• Gatesy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2014
    • Posts 6

Hi People

Rode to work today in the wet as my first commute.  Everything was an experiment this morning but i looked like a Xmas tree with all my shiny fluoro rain gear.  funny thing was the longest part of the trip was trying to find the motorbike/scooter parking in the work car park.  Still don't think I am in the right place.
    So impressions were - I found the tips of my knees got cold through the rain gear and the jeans (outside temp was 14 degrees), everything else was toasty but not too warm and and with the visor open 1mm I had zero issues with fog or with rain coming into the helmet.  It is pretty nice that nearly the entire trip is 70km/h plus area where cars naturally provide more space to each other but for the majority of the M2 I sat behind a bus in the slow lane at about 90km/h until he buggered off into the bus ONLY Lane.  Am still terrified of wet corners especially the ones at about 30km/h, but is better to err on the side of caution at this stage.  Wet corners have been my undoing before on a bicycle so have respect for them.
    Anyway thanks to everyone for their advice so far it has been great
    cheers
    Gatesy
  • 06-10-2014 05:24 PM In reply to

stay in the wheel tracks, not in between - that's where most of the oil drops. Stay off the painted parts, they're usually slippery as well.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-15-2014 10:37 AM In reply to

Good on ya Gatesy most seasoned riders are wusses in the rain and find an alternative form of transport. As my only option to commute 40 odd ks to work each way, i too ride rain hail or shine. Dont forget to join the odd group leasure ride on the weekends to stay intouch with the fun side of 2 wheel ownership. And congrats on the Aprilia. 

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 06-16-2014 03:34 PM In reply to

As a person who rides to work rain, hail or shine year round you do get used to the wet weather riding.  I also ride around 250km a week on a pushy so you learn the extent of your grip pretty quickly. 

As mentioned above, avoid the middle of the road and ride in the tyre tracks of the cars.  As with riding a push bike avoid the painted sections as that's like ice when wet. 

We've had a few colder days lately here in Perth (2 degree mornings) and  I've found that if you can, bring your knees together when just rolling along as gets them in behind the steering column and is much warmer than taking the brunt of the wind.  My HD200 has the radiator vents popping out at the top of the body work so if I sit right forward I can actually feel the warm air hitting my legs.  Handy when really cold. 

The main thing is keeping your chest warm.  After sorting out a good system for my upper half my legs tend to stay pretty warm. 

After 4 years of commuting by scooter now I still enjoy it each day.  So welcome and have fun. 

Cheers

H

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-16-2014 03:56 PM In reply to

• Gatesy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-07-2014
    • Posts 6

Hi Guys

So after my first week I have thumped out 350km on the scooter and so far so good.  I find I have an issue with the visor fogging at lower speeds so pop it open 1mm at the bottom when travelling around the city/suburbs.  The moment I get on the motorway at a 100km/h i can close it and have no issue with fogging as there seems to be enough air flow to prevent fogging.   It is normal to have a lot of wind noise in your helmet?

Yes I will admit I break the NSW speed limit of 90km/h on the motorway.  There are quite a few trucks on the M2 road and I am happy to get a suspension from a cop if it means i do not have enormous tip trucks with trailers tail gating me before over taking.  Happy to be told off by you guys but won't change my perspective - I am happy to lose my license but not my life.

Got 207km from 6.3L of fuel on the first real fill up which i was pleased with although I need to read the manual about how many litres are left when the light comes on.  I was on the motorway with 15km to go when the the light popped on so i took the next exit and found a petrol station.  Think I would have made it home but didn't want to risk it.

I have found I really need to focus on my sitting position or else I slouch to avoid being jarred on the bumps on the road.  Core muscles aren't my friends at the moment, but i will get there.  hoping to find work closer to home after this contract so I can split my week between scooter and bicycle as my leg muscles are withering away.
    cheers
    gatesy
  • 06-16-2014 04:16 PM In reply to

Wind noise get some earplugs as it can damage hearing permanently

• 06-16-2014 04:41 PM In reply to

I too find wind noise to be a bit of an issue.  I have found that the noise is actually cause by the hard parts of my helmet, but by the straps.   It's like the disturb the wind around my neck and because the straps go up into the helmet right where ears are I get the loud wind noise.  

I worked this out by placing my hand over my neck while riding at around 80 to 90kph, once I blocked the wind hitting the straps my helmet is practically silent.   For winter I wear a neck sock (can buy from ski or snowboarding stores) and onced I have fastened my helmet I pull the neck sock up and tuck it into my helmet over the straps.  Quiet riding from then on.  

Many others use ear plugs but I find I lose too much hearing when doing so.  I'm extra vigilent anyway due to doing a fair bit of KM on a pushy so head checks have become second nature but like having the extra hearing as well

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-16-2014 09:01 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 28

Gatesy,

you can move your feet around to change how you take the weight and bumps during the ride. Use the pillion foot pegs; one foot forward, one back etc. Mix it up

• 06-16-2014 09:03 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 28

I'm with you pyrah on the ear plugs.Yes

I don't ride past the corner shops without plugs in.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au