Scooter
Community

My beewee mods so far....

Last post 12-19-2014 11:15 AM by Brams. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2014 07:47 AM

My beewee mods so far....

Ok so this is my story so far..... I recently installed a malossi variator and a v8 pipe from jiangwayne.....this was an excellent decision..... My scooter accelerated like a boss after this upgrade..... Because this easy mod was so successful I decided to pursue and purchased a malossi fly clutch and malossi x Kevlar belt........ I installed these items both myself yesterday and took the scooter for a quick spin....... Very disappointed....... It was slower than when I first got the scooter....... I felt shattered....... After thinking hard I decided to put the old belt back in.... I noticed the original belt even though more worn was not as wide by About 2mm than the Kevlar belt...... With the old belt the scooter felt pretty much the same as when I put the variator and v8 pipe on.....which is a good thing....... Anyway with the variator came a big yellow spring..... At first I didn't install it....... And the scooter rode like a boss........I'm worried now that after putting the new malossi fly clutch and big yellow spring in that my original mod gains are kind of less for some reason...... I only changed the clutch to a malossi clutch because gps imports recommended it.........  Anyway the Kevlar belt I feel was wider therefor created more friction inside the transmission and less power ....... I hope the new clutch and yellow spring didn't slow anything down either ......it feels kind of the same but I have doubt in my mind now and am almost considering putting the old clutch and spring back..... 

• 05-24-2014 08:36 AM In reply to

Re: My beewee mods so far....

Its all about trial and error,dont be affraid to try diff combos out till you find the best set up.

Your original belt is narrower than a Malossi by 2mm you said,so that would make it sit nice and low in the front pulley and high in the rear on 'takeoff'...When you installed wider Malossi belt,the belt would have been sitting higher in the front and lower in the rear pulley's on takeoff. Imagine bicycle gears and how they work with chain on the rear highest sprocket makes it slowest to ride but lots of power at the wheel from your peddling,now imagine starting from third gear down from the highest sprocket,you will struggle to accelarate as fast as you did in the highest sprocket.

Easy solution,retain the Malossi belt,get a washer to go between outer front pulley and a sleve tube that slides on the crank and in the vario. Thatll give bit more space between front pulley for the belt to slide down nice and low again for faster takeoffs. Being wider belt and from expirience you sgouldnt loose any top end speed,maybe even gain some if youre lucky. 

Its all about trial and error,eventually you will zero in where and how you like it...

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 05-24-2014 04:47 PM In reply to

Ok this is getting serious!, just purchased a rattle gun lol... I think I get it... If I get a washer that Sits hard up to the end of the tube/shaft that will allow a bigger gap hence the engines power will easily rotate the clutch etc just like bike gears.... I might give it a go....  Thinking of putting stronger clutch springs in the clutch aswell.... I want nice strong acceleration that's where all the fun is at! There is ready a fat washer on the outer side of the variatior fan where the main nut is on the shaft so I'm sure that by removing that and adding a washer on the other side that will give a nicer gap.... Could it be possible to make to large a gap though? 

• 05-24-2014 08:16 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Andy, you don't know enough to be doing these mods.

Before making any changes to a stock scooter, its essential to have a tachometer so you can see the engine revs.

You will need to increase the oil going into the engine with the higher power.

Then after modifying the engine and doing a mixture check with the spark plug, you would change the main jet in the carburetor to ensure you had proper air fuel mixture.

Then you would change the weights in the transmission variator to get the engine working near the top of the power band. Then do the engine fuel mixture again.

When modifying the transmission, you would change the contra spring (the big yellow one) then adjust the variator weights to get the engine running near the top of the power band.

Depending on the engine, a torque driver would help use on the road.

Then you would put an adjustable clutch in the back of the transmission to give control of drive when starting from stationary. Use too higher clutch engagement speed and the scooter might wheelstand so setting the engagement speed low so the scooter does not hit the engine powerband till about 20km/hr is safer on the road.

And expect to lose a piston and barrel when you make mistakes.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 05-24-2014 08:17 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

I just read an earlier post recomending spacing with a washer.  That can muck up the kickstart so be careful.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 05-24-2014 11:28 PM In reply to

Ok thanks for the advice,..... The last thing I want to do it destroy the scoot.... I will be very careful with the spacer.... And likewise with the clutch.... Obviously more research is necessary .... However the pipe and malossi variator has made the scooter a lot more fun to ride!!.... .... So if you change the clutch springs then you would also need to adjust the variator weights to accommodate?? 

• 05-25-2014 02:49 PM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

I also own a BW100. It pulls like a train up to 85kph as it is, totally standard. If I wanted more grunt, I'd upgrade the scooter, but then you're not me.  Be aware the 100cc 2t is not a simple beast to modify. 

Awa and Buggsy
  • 05-28-2014 09:16 PM In reply to

AndyBW100:

Ok so this is my story so far..... I recently installed a malossi variator and a v8 pipe from jiangwayne.....this was an excellent decision..... My scooter accelerated like a boss after this upgrade..... Because this easy mod was so successful I decided to pursue and purchased a malossi fly clutch and malossi x Kevlar belt........ I installed these items both myself yesterday and took the scooter for a quick spin....... Very disappointed....... It was slower than when I first got the scooter....... I felt shattered....... After thinking hard I decided to put the old belt back in.... I noticed the original belt even though more worn was not as wide by About 2mm than the Kevlar belt...... With the old belt the scooter felt pretty much the same as when I put the variator and v8 pipe on.....which is a good thing....... Anyway with the variator came a big yellow spring..... At first I didn't install it....... And the scooter rode like a boss........I'm worried now that after putting the new malossi fly clutch and big yellow spring in that my original mod gains are kind of less for some reason...... I only changed the clutch to a malossi clutch because gps imports recommended it.........  Anyway the Kevlar belt I feel was wider therefor created more friction inside the transmission and less power ....... I hope the new clutch and yellow spring didn't slow anything down either ......it feels kind of the same but I have doubt in my mind now and am almost considering putting the old clutch and spring back..... 

Andy, make sure you Upjet 8-10 sizes otherwise you will risk seizing, especially because it's air cooled. Malossi belts are generally wider and designed to work with their Multivar variators where all the lengths and angles match. Make sure you stock up on rollers of different weights so you can find the sweet spot for that pipe. 

Vespa PX150
    Polini 177
    Match ported
    Opened rotary pad
    Mip cut crank
    Sip 24si carb
    Cosa 22 primary upgear
    Polini exhaust
  • 05-29-2014 06:40 PM In reply to

So far everything is running smoothly on my scooter....... I'm thinking of getting stronger clutch springs soon maybe the malossi racing set..... At the moment I have the yellow springs installed which are the strongest from the malossi sport range...... In my opinion I think il try stronger...... I have just emailed jiangwayne.com and asked them about jetting and what they think is a good option to accommodate the V8 performance pipe that they make.... Surely they will have the best answer they live and breathe this sort of stuff.... Not to mention it's their pipe!!! I also them for their opinion on what's good for the beewee in the modification packages..... Interesting to see if they get back to me.....

• 06-03-2014 09:33 PM In reply to

Jiangwayne.com told me to up jet the main jet one or two sizes...... So I did! And let me tell you this has brought his little scooter to life!, it's so fun to ride now! Has noticeable acceleration power and much better throttle response and top speed... I also richened the needle jet one notch aswell and pilot etc...... It makes me wonder if I should try  upsize the Main jet one more?? The stock main jet was 75. So I went up to 80....... This works really well with the v8 pipe..... It may even need a 82.5 main jet........ I have the yellow malossi springs ATM and they are ok but I think il throw in even stronger springs!!! I like the joy of strong acceleration!!! Anyway I'm not sure if I'm done with my mods just yet.... I'm so happy with everything so far it's definately worth the effort and research .... Sometimes it doesn't even feel like I'm on a little scooter but more like a motorbike of some sort the way it bosses around the streets.... I wish I could race a few other stock scooters just to appreciate the difference a little hard work pulls off!!! I love my beewee!!!!

• 12-18-2014 10:52 AM In reply to

• Brams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-10-2014
    • Posts 7

Currrent
    Honda Bali EX/SJ 100 - Goes forever!!
    Yamaha Aerox 100

Previous
    Suzuki GS 250
    Honda CBR 250
    Honda CBR 600 RR
    Honda VFR 800
    Kawasaki ZX9R
  • 12-18-2014 11:48 AM In reply to

Brams:

Hi Brams Try using chrome or similar IE doesn't always post on this site Yes

• 12-18-2014 11:49 AM In reply to

• Brams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-10-2014
    • Posts 7

Currrent
    Yamaha Aerox 100

Previous
    Suzuki GS 250
    Honda CBR 250
    Honda CBR 600 RR
    Honda VFR 800
    Kawasaki ZX9R
  • 12-18-2014 12:12 PM In reply to

• Brams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-10-2014
    • Posts 7

Thanks for that Pyrah!….. 

Hi Guys,

I’m also new to the site, but have read everything there is on bw’s and Aerox’s.  I particularly enjoyed Aeroxracer’s blog, considering I also have an Aerox.

AndyBW100, if I could ask, what was your reasoning to go with the Malossi multivar and clutch? I see jiangwayne have variator and clutch kits and they seem to be pretty savvy in the scooter world. I remember reading a post from Aeroxracer and said he was getting more out of his Taiwan big bore kit than the Malossi! (Considering jiangwayne are now selling big bore kits for US99, including the head, you could fry 3 of these kits and still be in front rather than buying Malossi. You would hope you had it sorted before then though!!) 

Either way, they seem to have some pretty good gear and hoping that the Variator and clutch will be as good?

INMA would you care to way in on the clutch and Variator question? I see your posts quite a bit and always enjoy the read same as waxhead and scooter HQ. Seems as though they are no longer around though and had read that Scooter HQ closed. A wealth of knowledge left for us though!

As for my upgrades, I’m only looking at replacing the belt, rollers, clutch kit and variator kit at this stage. The scoot came with a Giannelli Sprint Exhaust, but as I stripped the thing down, realised nothing else was done. This lead me to believe the previous owner had no idea. It was running horribly as well, but the price was right and I could see potential.  It’s done just under 20K now and is a bit tired. Pitting is evident on the variator and clutch pads are very worn hence the reason for replacement.

I know in some way this question has been asked before but has been quite a few years ago now and it would seem that there’s more after-market parts available for the Minarelli engine these days. I know these things are a pig to get more power and many say any upgrades to this engine and youre “polishing a turd”. But as the bike gets older these after-market parts could be very handy for Bw’s and Aerox owners who would rather rebuild and have a bit of fun rather than go out and purchase a new four banger!   

Currrent
    Yamaha Aerox 100

Previous
    Suzuki GS 250
    Honda CBR 250
    Honda CBR 600 RR
    Honda VFR 800
    Kawasaki ZX9R
  • 12-19-2014 07:13 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Brams, its good you are asking before doing.

Read the list of my mods below.  I bought all my stuff from eBay of SIP in Germany.

Not sure whether you have an Aerox 50 or 100. If you have a 100, its not worth heavy moding in my opinion. I had a Bee Wee 100 and found lighter variator weights were useful but all the other mods reduced reliability and the cost of mistakes was too high.

I bought parts from England, changing pistons and cylinders is easy, I've done it too many times.

The 50cc engines have been raced and parts to make them faster and reliable are cheap and plentiful.

You can't mod a scooter without a tachometer, The $13 eBay tachometer works fine and confirms the transmission tuning is working fine after 15,000 hard kilometers without further adjustments.

My best mod is the Doppler variator, I would recommend it on a standard scooter to improve rideability and cut maintenance costs.

Next is the adjustable RMS clutch which allows the engine to rev higher on start from low speed and gets the scooter in front of traffic instead of the slow start that leaves the rider vulnerable.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au