Scooter
Community

Filtering rules now legislated and commence 1st July

Last post 07-06-2014 04:45 AM by pyrah. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2014 04:13 PM

Filtering rules now legislated and commence 1st July

The new laws on filtering or lane splitting in NSW  have now been legislated and commence on July 1

Basically as i have read, you do not filter between a parked vehicle and a moving vehicle

You do not filter at more than 30kph or if you are not fully licenced

riding for fun
  • 06-24-2014 05:13 PM In reply to

Re: Filtering rules now legislated and commence 1st July

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/sr/2014-383.pdf

• 06-24-2014 10:16 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 28

Happy days, July 1 is fast approaching. Big Smile

I have previously understood the term 'lane filtering' to be riding between 2 adjacent lanes of cars while the cars are stationary. eg ride to the front at a red traffic light.

I have previously understood the term 'lane splitting' to be riding between 2 adjacent lanes of cars while the cars are moving.

Even ignoring cars moving at walking pace as they slow to stop at the red or move forward when the light turns green, I understood that the changes on July 1 would mean that on the way to work I could ride (slower than 30km/h ) only between the stopped lanes at a red light, but not while the traffic was otherwise moving.

The legislation says I am wrong. I have misunderstood, or at least the terms have now slightly different meanings.

I found it interesting that the terms filtering and splitting are used in a different way in the above legislation. There is no reference to the speed of the cars at all. The legislation now makes the distinction purely based on bike speed so that that if the bike is travelling below 30km/h it is 'filtering' and above 30km/h it is 'splitting'.

Happier days.

I'll be riding between stop and go and typically slow traffic all the way to work - sweet Cool

• 06-25-2014 09:40 AM In reply to

There is a torrent of emails on my computer  from delegates of the Moptorcycle council asking the same questions

It is typical Government Legislation probably drawn up by some University graduate who probably doesnt know the difference between a motorised and non motorised vehicle (whatever that is )

If you cant understand it then you can bet your nuts, that the cops wont either --Who looks at their speedo when trying to negotiate between vehicles

Look at it this way --at least we are getting some recognition and maybe some motorists will now be aware that when a bike or scooter goes between them and the car alongside in some monstorous traffic jam  ,then it is not lawfull for them to open the door

Maybe clarity of the rules will eventuate at some future time

riding for fun
  • 06-25-2014 01:28 PM In reply to

• Oliver
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-24-2013
    • Adelaide
    • Posts 16

This is awesome, I'm sure this will help your case if  you are stopped by police in other states. I will continue to lane filter in South Australia!

SYM VS 150
  • 06-27-2014 12:29 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 258

Rod Fountain:
    whine whine ... fully-licenced riders can't be expected to know what 30 km/h is like .. whine whine
    If you've got a full riders licence and can't tell how fast you're going by instinct...

• 06-27-2014 08:29 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWh0t1fX_EY

http://www.youtube.com/v/kWh0t1fX_EY <p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWh0t1fX_EY">http://www.youtube.com/v/kWh0t1fX_EY</a></p>

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-28-2014 01:15 AM In reply to

Good  find jax Yes

• 06-28-2014 04:08 PM In reply to

Question......

Say i was to filter through traffic held up by a red light. I make poll position, with a car either side of me, all waiting for the green.

The two drivers of the stinkers, are pissed that i have jumped the que.....

They are also driving late model cars, with big engines, and are quick, much quicker than my 250cc scooter.

We get the green, and we all gun it...... and i try to keep the head of my lane, but am bullied by the stinker in it, not wanting to back off....

There is a collision, which inturn creats a dispute as to who was in the right.

And who was?????

There has been no education through media that i have seen of, to flag the change to other road users,,,,, and this is what scares me..

Shayne

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 06-28-2014 07:09 PM In reply to

Then don't do it.

If you (or your bike) is incapable of keeping up with traffic, remain in the lane where you started. No one is forcing you to ride between traffic. A 250 should easily be fast enough.

And "stinkers"? Are you 15? Perhaps you aren't mentally old enough to ride a motor vehicle in traffic?

• 06-29-2014 04:34 AM In reply to

Devil

Stick out tongue

• 06-29-2014 07:59 AM In reply to

68 404:

Then don't do it.

If you (or your bike) is incapable of keeping up with traffic, remain in the lane where you started. No one is forcing you to ride between traffic. A 250 should easily be fast enough.

And "stinkers"? Are you 15? Perhaps you aren't mentally old enough to ride a motor vehicle in traffic?

Great reply...

That there is a big help/effortWink

I love your workGeeked

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 06-29-2014 08:49 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

98% of the time a 250 will be light enough and fast  enough to win the start. The other thing to remember is that a scooter/bike that has filtered to the front at the lights will probably be the first vehicle through the intersection and a target for any vehicles shooting the red light from the other direction so be careful.

Is there anyone else on the forum who has been practicing their filtering skills already? Big Smile

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-29-2014 12:43 PM In reply to

Good point made on Scooter Community about filtering

If you filter through the traffic and get to the head at the lights and are 1st to take off,then you are the most vunerable to being hit by the cage drivers who are running the lights

Maybe this is a devious plot to get rid of riders and should we push it further –I don’t think so

riding for fun
  • 06-29-2014 12:45 PM In reply to

Hey Pete --how can we practice our ?????SKILLS????? when it isnt even the 1st july when it becomes legal --Besides it was too bloody wet yesterday arvo

riding for fun
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au