Scooter
Community

Filtering rules now legislated and commence 1st July

Last post 07-06-2014 04:45 AM by pyrah. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2014 01:58 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Re: Filtering rules now legislated and commence 1st July

Yes i think that is a very interesting point , who is going to be regarded as "being in the wrong" in the event that a car driver gets away super quick  & the available room simply runs out , my guess is that as usual it will be the 2 wheel rider thats deemed to be at fault because " the stupid bike rider was being an idiot "  , i don't think i'd like to test that one with the cops or my insurance company . The other point that Pete G raised is well worth thought too , we need to be very carefull of " red light runners" as we will be right in the firing line , when its all said/done i think legal or not its better to cut between the cars & once up at the starting grid , to then position ourself in front of one of the cars thus keeping that car from " blowing you off" & actually cutting you off , it also means you get that extra second to check for red light runners , in other word you can maintain control of your own safety , better to let the car that you've come across in front of blow his horn/ shout abuse at you , at least that can't harm you .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 06-30-2014 07:25 AM In reply to

Another problem you have, is that when you are back in the que, you cant see right up the front, where the cars at poll are positioned.

So, you filter up the front (this has happened to me in the past, when i filtered onceZip it!), and the front runners are that far forward, they are either on the line, or past it.

Meanwhile, the pestestrians have got the "go green walk" indicator (then the late straglers, that are making the last minute dash on the red), soooo, you either wait in between the cars, running the risk of being sandwiched if you leave advance to the front run short, or, move to the front early, and block the pestrians walking path (be ready to recieve some filthy looks), forcing them to walk aound you, putting them in the oncoming traffic danger zone.

It dosent stop there, as others have said, and if there the traffic lights dont have the 1.5 meter wide pedstrian walking strip, it will be the scooter rider over that line, in order to be in front position, and ,,, yes,,, in the danger zone.

Happy days.

And why i am peeed that there has been bugger all public awareness of this new Leg.

Shayne

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 06-30-2014 07:57 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    98% of the time a 250 will be light enough and fast  enough to win the start. The other thing to remember is that a scooter/bike that has filtered to the front at the lights will probably be the first vehicle through the intersection and a target for any vehicles shooting the red light from the other direction so be careful.

One would have thought regardless if you're driving or riding that you look at both sides of the intersection as the cross traffic stops before you enter it. Had I not checked for traffic before entering the intersection on a green light 20+ years ago when I was on my L's, I would not be here typing this message.

• 07-01-2014 08:12 AM In reply to

Hesitate ---Look to the left --then look to the right --and you can bet your boots someone will hit you from behind

Probably some sweet chick who was talking on the phone and painting her nails and of course --she didnt see you

Happy Riding

riding for fun
  • 07-01-2014 08:37 AM In reply to

Well,,,,,,

Its here, let the fun beginIck!

Shayne

I love Asian........................Scooters, particully Honda. 1st Scooter, Nss 250 01,,, 2nd Scooter Nss 250X 07...............
  • 07-01-2014 06:02 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 28

Filtered all the way to work and back today Smile

One Commodore wanted to have a go (as in try to race me) , but otherwise it was all normal commuting.

• 07-05-2014 11:08 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 258

shayneh2006:
    Another problem you have, is that when you are back in the que, you cant see right up the front, where the cars at poll are positioned
    Something that's happened to me trice to date when a rider not being able to see up front-- and thinking the in-lane space my scooter was in was vacant-- and coming in assuming he'll have my (hard-fought...) pole position all to himself. The first time it happened the rider must've busted his ankle trying not to drop his ?ZXR while avoiding a collision with me.

So... is this thread actually concluding that filtering is needlessly hazardous, now?

• 07-06-2014 04:45 AM In reply to

Will start practicing now Big Smile

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au