Scooter
Community

NEW SEAT FOR MY HONDA NSS300 FORZA

Last post 08-15-2014 04:57 PM by pyrah. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-27-2014 06:17 PM

• pja
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 107

NEW SEAT FOR MY HONDA NSS300 FORZA

Hi!

I really like my scooter except for two things:

1. It would be really (really...) nice with a bit more go, especially for long steep hills. A 500cc single would have made all the difference.
    2. I find the seat just a bit cramped for riding other than pottering around town - a slightly longer seat would be nice.

Well, its a bit beyond me to upgrade the engine to 500cc but having the seat fixed IS relatively easy. I have taken the "bum support" off the bike and sure enough the extra space makes a huge difference in comfort levels. I have not tried this set-up on a long ride yet but will do so next week.

Living in Batemans Bay limits my options for having the seat re-upholstered but several of our local Ulysses Branch members have had their bike seats done by MJM (http://mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au/) in Goulburn. The standard of work looks very good.

I was wondering if there are any other Forza riders who have had their seats re-upholstered or if anyone knows and/or can recommend any other bike seat upholstered on the south coast/southern highlands/Canberra.

I am planning to get the work done in a few weeks time and will post some pictures then.

Regards,
    Peter

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 06-28-2014 11:35 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: NEW SEAT FOR MY HONDA NSS300 FORZA

I got my Postie seat remade by Mick at MJM and all I can say is BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!

I've now gone over 21,000kms without an airhawk or a sheepskin and it still looks as good as the day he made it. It is the most comfy seat ever!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-28-2014 03:31 PM In reply to

• OX-34
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-03-2014
    • Posts 26

I have no personal experience with MJM, but I have heard great reports first hand from members of the long distance community. Yes

• 06-29-2014 09:47 PM In reply to

OX-34 Devil Maaatte! It's simple? What JAX said.Big Smile

If your talking long distance JAX knowsYes

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 06-30-2014 11:51 PM In reply to

OX-34 ! As you doYes

after re reading this I see I may have given the impression that you are not familiar with long distance rides. 

We all know this not to be the case and you are one serious IronbutterCool (I hope that is a word) The reference was intended

for pja and jax's input is always valuable.Big Smile I hope that tidies things up a bitEmbarrassed

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 07-02-2014 04:23 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 107

pja:
    ... but having the seat fixed IS relatively easy. I have taken the "bum support" off the bike and sure enough the extra space makes a huge difference in comfort levels. I have not tried this set-up on a long ride yet but will do so next week.

I havn't got the seat done yet (waiting for the Minister for Fun & Finance to Ok the funds Sad). I did a 100 km plus ride this morning with my local Ulysses Branch. Taking the "bum support" off certainly provides more room. The padding under the "bum support" probably needs harder or more foam to increase comfort. One thing I thought was odd was that the scooter's front end felt a little more lively. I guess the weight distribution has moved a few cm to the rear or it was just my imagination. It seemed better (or I was getting used to it) on the way home.

It seems several other Ulysses mates have had their seats re-upholstered by MJM and all seem to be very pleased. It augers well for the Flying Forza.

I'll report back after I get the seat done.

Regards,
    Peter 

Peter Anderson & Co.

• 08-15-2014 04:12 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 107

Well it's happened! I rode my Forza up to Goulburn two days ago (Wednesday, 13th August) to leave it with Mick at MJM Custom Motorbike Seats to have my bike's seat re-upholstered. I picked up the bike early this morning (Friday, 15th August) and rode back home to Batemans Bay, about 150 km. I'l post a couple of pictures then tell you what's been done.

Firstly, the original Honda seat:

Original Honda seat

Now a series of pictures showing what Mick has done:

MJM re-upholstered seat #1

I think that looks terrific! But then I guess I would Wink

The most obvious change is the removal of the "bum rest" and thus quite a bit of extra room to streatch out on. The foam base has been replaced and about 15 mm has been added to the height of the rear part of the rider's seat. In practice I can't tell the difference in the extra height, I can still easily reach the ground with both feet. However I do seem to sit a little higher (I had to adjust the mirrors) and it feels much more comfortable. Obviously, the seat cover has been changed with "non-slip" type material on both seat positions setting off plain vinyl on the rest of the seat. Overall, the workmanship looks very good.

We were chatting as I paid Mick's reasonable bill and he was saying that he had just finished a re-upholster for a Honda Goldwing seat and that the Forza seat is much bigger than the Goldwing's.

The ride home was much more comfortable than the ride up two days before. The seat base prevents to rider portion being any longer but the new seat is probably as long as you would want.

I think the Forza looks much better with the new seat, more sporty perhaps Cool!

If you are thinking about re-upholstering your seat then I would recommend MJM.

Regards,
    Peter

Peter Anderson & Co.

• 08-15-2014 04:57 PM In reply to

Nice looks better for a pillion too Yes

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much