Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

plastic welding

Last post 07-30-2014 04:35 PM by bunnybash. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2014 10:11 AM

plastic welding

Big Smile

hi all  for the last 6 or weeks ive been practicing DIY plastic welding ive been useing a soldering iron its a slow way to do it but works all the same. Anyway im starting to do good strong welds now and owning scooters its a good skill to learn . But when it comes to useing the body filler on the good side i cant make a panel look new i can always see exactly where ive repaired it for me thats the hard part i can weld the plastic nice and strong but makeing the other side like new again with the bog well thats the one place for me that practice does not make perfect.

• 07-14-2014 07:52 PM In reply to

Re: plastic welding

Rather than using soldering iron,I imagine the hot iron is melting the plastic in the wrong way and is very hard to fix, try super glue and bicarb soda,this will glue the parts back and also the bicarb can be used as a filler,check utube for demos,cheers Nev

• 07-16-2014 08:51 AM In reply to

Are you using a plastic-specific filler, or just a general automotive one? You will be wanting to use a plastic-specific filler as it is far more flexible and won't crack when the plastic around it flexes.  Beyond this, are you managing to get the shape right with the filler, but just getting a visible edge where the filler ends? If this is the case that is pretty normal, you just need to use a high-fill primer over the top - it is like a really thick paint, and a couple of coats sanded back will fill thar edge out and make it disappear, then a thinner primer, rub back making sure not to rub through, and top coat.

• 07-16-2014 09:50 AM In reply to

Embarrassed

hi all↲ ↲thanks for the help thats something they could have told me at the store i have been useing the same body filler thats used on cars. I didnt know i could one made for plastics i told the guy at the store what i was useing it for youd think he might have told me. Anyway once again thank you for the help

• 07-30-2014 04:35 PM In reply to

jpfvita:

Embarrassed

hi all↲ ↲thanks for the help thats something they could have told me at the store i have been useing the same body filler thats used on cars. I didnt know i could one made for plastics i told the guy at the store what i was useing it for youd think he might have told me. Anyway once again thank you for the help

Yeah - these days the guys at the store generally know squat about anything other than how to take selfies, take pics of their food and post on facebook...  I seek out knowledge from forums like this!! :)

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au