Scooter
Community

What do you use to measure scoot performance? eg. 0-60 times

Last post 08-06-2014 12:20 AM by jshowyin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2014 02:36 AM

What do you use to measure scoot performance? eg. 0-60 times

Hi,

I have found a couple of posts recently where people have noted various times accurate to 1 decimal place. eg. 0-50, 0-60, 0-100 etc

I have an Android phone and attempted to use a GPS based performance monitor app, but was never sure that the GPS was kicking in immediately enough after takeoff to be accurate to 1 decimal place.

I then tried an accelerometer based app and, lol, my scoot vibrates too much and the vibrations set off the accelerometer even when I am at a standstill.

For those of your interested in recording such info for their scoot, could you please share what app/device/method you have found works best for you?

Thanks. Ride safe, Jared

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 07-18-2014 12:29 PM In reply to

Re: What do you use to measure scoot performance? eg. 0-60 times

Wink Egg timer to the grain ? Stick out tongue

• 07-18-2014 01:09 PM In reply to

jshowyin:

Hi,

I have found a couple of posts recently where people have noted various times accurate to 1 decimal place. eg. 0-50, 0-60, 0-100 etc

I have an Android phone and attempted to use a GPS based performance monitor app, but was never sure that the GPS was kicking in immediately enough after takeoff to be accurate to 1 decimal place.

I then tried an accelerometer based app and, lol, my scoot vibrates too much and the vibrations set off the accelerometer even when I am at a standstill.

For those of your interested in recording such info for their scoot, could you please share what app/device/method you have found works best for you?

Thanks. Ride safe, Jared

Just use your phone camera in the left hand (not the safest option but thats how most do on the youtube..).Once you record it,use the stopwatch to measure the time from start to whatever you wanted to measure to.

Use the GPS speed to see how much off is your speedo out so it gives you fair estimate of your true speeds...

Go on,tell us what it can do 0-100! It can do 100 right?! Just hope its not a half an hour wait...or you can always cheat and record on downhill.Stick out tongue

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 07-20-2014 02:30 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 260

You could always do the oversampling route, and after 24 trails and taking an average, you'll have that extra significant digit of precision...

• 07-20-2014 12:40 PM In reply to

I use the shocked expressions on the faces of bike riders as i ride around the outside of them in the twisties Super Angry

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 07-20-2014 02:47 PM In reply to

And while your looking at their shocked faces an sr comes past and smokes the lot of ya

Vespa PX150
    Polini 177
    Match ported
    Opened rotary pad
    Mip cut crank
    Sip 24si carb
    Cosa 22 primary upgear
    Polini exhaust
  • 07-20-2014 04:47 PM In reply to

• 07-20-2014 05:42 PM In reply to

Hahaha pyrah you are a consumate wordologist Yes

That said there is an element of truth to Jims statement

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 07-30-2014 04:11 PM In reply to

I have a bunch of posts on here where I measured with repeated 0-100 times on various devices which used GPS to measure the speed.  I was doing tests with different modifications and on scooters. I was testing different air filter methods and scooter weights and cam shafts etc...

a bit of searching should pull up a more information on what I was doing.

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 08-06-2014 12:20 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone for sharing some wisdom and some humour.

I took HondaTodayDemon's suggestion and tweaked it a little to be a bit safer and consistent for myself:

* Mounted a car GPS and recorded revs and speedo speeds for actual 50/60/70/80/90/100/110 km/h. Cruising at each speed and multiple readings for each to double check.

* Mounted a phone camera pointing at my digital speedo on a RAM mount. Recorded a number of runs down the same stretch of road.

* Cut up the resulting videos and imported into some video editing software

* Videos were recorded 25fps, so video time stamps had the format seconds.frame#. Eg. 4.08 = 4 seconds + 8th frame out of 25 = 4.32 seconds

* Reviewed videos frame by frame, noting the time stamp when the digital speedo completely showed the appropriate speed (eg. 62 or more for actual 60km/h). Digital speedo jumped through numbers, not showing every sequential speed.

* Converted the times to seconds and voila.

So thanks again. I will post some of my results in another post.

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au