Scooter
Community

Piaggio X7 Evo won't start.

Last post 09-20-2014 02:25 PM by dps5791. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-01-2014 04:43 PM

Piaggio X7 Evo won't start.

Hi there.

Just looking for some guidance regarding my scooter. Today out of the blue it just decided not to start. 

The NRMA came out and did the usual tests on battery and fuses and found nothing untoward. When the start button is pressed you can hear a click around the battery area but that's it. 

Does anyone have some ideas about what this could be? I would rather be a little bit informed before it heads off to a mechanic. I am in Sydney's Inner West too if anyone has some recommendations on where to take it. 

Cheers.

• 09-01-2014 05:54 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

Re: Piaggio X7 Evo won't start.

I assume the kill switch is in the correct position....

• 09-01-2014 05:58 PM In reply to

Yep haha!

• 09-01-2014 06:21 PM In reply to

This is pretty weird but the same thing has happened to me today.

I have just spent a lot of time and money doing up my scooter and it has died as well, same problem.

I had to push it home from the shops because it wouldn't start after I parked it.

I put in a new cheap starter motor, the relay goes click and the battery is brand new because the old one died.

The battery I checked with multimeter and is fully charged, over 12v, so I am thinking that it is the starter because all the lights go on when I switch the ignition and there doesn't seem to be any current leakage in the circuit.

The only way I can think of is to buy a brand new Piaggio starter and hope there isn't something seriously wrong with anything else.

Maybe you should take it to a shop.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 09-01-2014 06:32 PM In reply to

If battery is O.K. and the relay is working, then you need to check the starter motor.

If the road service has checked it out he would have told you what he thought was the problem, I'm guessing the starter.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 09-01-2014 07:44 PM In reply to

Yeah we checked everything together and the starter was the logical conclusion. Battery read over 12v and there was nothing obvious, so It's going to a mechanic tomorrow.

• 09-01-2014 08:25 PM In reply to

Find the Solenoid and give it a tap,firmly.

It may just be the solenoid sticking,just my experience with motorcycles and cars.

• 09-01-2014 10:06 PM In reply to

Are the stand & brake interlock switches OK ?

• 09-01-2014 10:59 PM In reply to

I think there is a way of testing if it is faulty

gunnabuild1:

Find the Solenoid and give it a tap,firmly.

It may just be the solenoid sticking,just my experience with motorcycles and cars.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 09-01-2014 11:02 PM In reply to

I think he said that they could hear the starter relay (solenoid) clicking, which would mean the switches were working I think.

edit: brake switch would also work the tail light and there might be a stand warning light maybe, I don't know this scooter, just trying to be helpful.

pyrah:

Are the stand & brake interlock switches OK ?

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 09-02-2014 07:36 AM In reply to

Yeah the brake switches seem fine. There is no side stand, only a centre stand. 

Thanks for the input. I'll try located the solenoid and given it a thump before  I get it towed away...

• 09-02-2014 09:10 AM In reply to

Did they test what the battery voltage dropped to with the start button pressed . Sometimes there is enough voltage to operate the solenoid but not turn the starter motor

• 09-02-2014 09:29 AM In reply to

Yes they did, it didn't drop significantly at all...maybe down to around 11.5 or 7.

• 09-02-2014 11:34 AM In reply to

Dirty contacts in the starter relay will cause the problem you describe. To test it, short the two large terminals on the relay if the starter motor turns it's the contacts, replace the relay, making sure to attach the leads to the correct terminal.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 09-19-2014 11:39 PM In reply to

Did you find the fault or the solution?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au