Scooter
Community

Getting a key cut / copy (Kymco)

Last post 09-29-2014 05:49 PM by radar. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2014 05:58 PM

Getting a key cut / copy (Kymco)

Hi all,

Can I get a key cut (copied) by places such as Bunnings or other key cutting places for a Kymco Agility RS 125?

I suppose the basis of this question, is whether the original key has a transponder / special chip. Because if it doesn't, it'll make life much easier.

Does anyone have any experience? Doesn't have to be related to my particular scooter.

Cheers

Car Enthusiast, Newbie to scooters and riding
  • 09-21-2014 06:39 PM In reply to

Re: Getting a key cut / copy (Kymco)

If there is a transponder it will need to be cut by a locksmith,they have a reader that reads the key so the info can be put on a new key,some shopping centre people can also do it,otherwise I would doubt if Bunnings would have a blank,cheers Nev

• 09-21-2014 07:05 PM In reply to

Thanks Nev,

What's the rough price to get it cut by a locksmith with the transponder reading machines?

Also, I'm not 100% sure that my scooter key has a transponder? It is a key by itself, but has a black plastic top.

Here's a photo of it (the other key is the scooter top box, which also has a black plastic top... wonder if that's a transponder for the top box too? Big Smile Stick out tongue

Anyone have a Kymco scooter / bike with experience?

Cheers

• 09-21-2014 07:25 PM In reply to

I'd pay money that there's no transponder in there. If there was a transponder/immobiliser, there would be indications (KYMCO SECURITY SYSTEM, a flashing LED when it's locked at the very least)

I got keys cut for my SYM - they're not long enough to lock the steering, but at $7 a key blank against $60+ for a SYM one, I'll deal with it.

Find a good locksmith, and be prepared for a few visits, but I got keys cut for my SYM scooter and Givi topbox (which was the bigger nightmare)

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-21-2014 08:01 PM In reply to

Hi All

I'm pretty sure that's a normal key but if not most Westfields have the machine that can read the chip Or whatever it is these day's.

• 09-21-2014 08:28 PM In reply to

Hi, I think it has no transponder too.

That should mean that the key can be physically copied which means places like Bunnings etc can do it.

I'll go and find a place and take a look tomorrow.

Hope they're a few bucks :)

• 09-21-2014 09:28 PM In reply to

Hopefully it will be a common blank otherwise you will have to source a blank on the internet & then have cut

• 09-23-2014 04:38 AM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

Who carries a spare key with them?.

I have a spare scooter key and a spare topbox key under the floorboard inside the battery compartment. They are tied in place with plastic ties. The odds are greater that I'll need a replacement key more than a thief will unscrew the lid off the battery and find the keys. Not sure how the insurance co would react tho'. 

I cant see the point of having a backup key a million miles away in a drawer when its on a trip when things go wrong. 

Awa and Buggsy
  • 09-23-2014 08:00 AM In reply to

I do for the SYM, but not the Honda. The seat release for the SYM is a separate lock on the side, so I remove the key. The Honda seat release is part of the ignition lock, so the key stays there.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 09-23-2014 10:32 AM In reply to

• shyted
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2012
    • Riverwood
    • Posts 91

When  my wife and I  go  for  rides a good  distance from  home we  usually  put our  spare  keys  in  our  jacket pocket so in the  likely hood of  locking the  keys  under the  seat ( which i may add I have done and my  wife has  done as well ) we  can retieve the other keys and not be  stranded  somewhere  miles from  home ( which was  my predicament)

ex Honda Lead SCV100
    2005 Aprilia Sportcity 200
    Aprilia SR MAX 300
  • 09-23-2014 09:45 PM In reply to

Yeah, having some difficulty finding a blank key for it. 

Have found things that come close, I'll look around more.

And I'm not getting the key copied to carry it on me, I'm getting the key copied because I only have the one key..

• 09-24-2014 09:07 AM In reply to

Find a Locksmith that will keep experimenting, that's what I did with the SYM

• 09-24-2014 12:42 PM In reply to

Yep a good locksmith should be able to find something that will work otherwise blanks available on ebay . For example think my spare Honda CBR125r key was cut on a Mitsubishi blank from my local hardware shop

• 09-29-2014 01:09 PM In reply to

• radar
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-19-2011
    • Sydney NSW
    • Posts 39

Yes!   I have a Kymco Super 8 125 and had the same trouble, I went to a well respected locksmith and he couldn't find a blank in his shop nor in any catalogue.  I went to the dealer and they arranged for Kymco to send them a blank at a cost and sold it to me so I could get the locksmith to cut it.  Also wanted a copy for the top box but [Givi] but that didn't happen.  So all in all it was a nightmare getting a key copied.  Just don't start me about tyres for the scooter because that an even worse story.

Happy Scootering Jeff

Radar

• 09-29-2014 02:41 PM In reply to

• awa355
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-20-2013
    • waikato
    • Posts 194

Radar, does the Kymco have oddball size tyres?  I was going to go up to Auckland next week and have a look at a Kymco 200. 

Seems like every machine I've ever bought comes with yesterdays tyre, which nobody no longer stocks. Is the Kymco name any better ot worse than other makes in regard to parts avalability? 

Awa and Buggsy
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au