Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Cleaning scooters

Last post 11-24-2014 02:59 PM by Chief2744. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2014 12:21 PM

Cleaning scooters

Hi All,

I had a quick look on the forums about cleaning scooters but wondered if most still just use a spong, car wash and normal car wax or if anyone has any good products they use?

I haven't had to give it a good clean yet as I have only had it for a couple of months so I have just given it a general wipe down and have been using Armour All on the matte black parts.  

I also wondered how people clean their seats, I am guessing they can get wet but maybe there is an easier way to clean them without the need for water.

• 11-10-2014 07:50 PM In reply to

Re: Cleaning scooters

I don't know if this is necessary but DO NOT Armorall your seat.Makes it slipperier than a.........a slippery thing.

But yeah otherwise pretty much the same things you use to wash your car.

• 11-10-2014 07:59 PM In reply to

Me just normal car shampoo wash then mr sheen on paint work seat just wipe over with a damp rag

• 11-10-2014 10:10 PM In reply to

Thanks guys, will pop down this week and get some cleaning gear and give it it's first good clean this week.

• 11-10-2014 10:58 PM In reply to

Armorall is a big no no.  Not only does it make the seat slippery but after a while it dries out and cracks.  It looks awful.  I have seen some nasty looking car dashboards due to Armorall.  I wouldn't use it on anything.  The only thing I use for the seat is water.

Kim
  • 11-10-2014 11:13 PM In reply to

Oh I would never use it on the seat, I mean't the black plastic parts of the scooter, I always thought people used it a lot to protect it, maybe I will have to look for an alternative.

• 11-10-2014 11:21 PM In reply to

I take keeping my scooters clean very seriously.

I use Mcquires ultimate wash and wax to clean my scoots, i clean them with a microfibre scrubber. then i let them dry, after there dry i detail and polish them with Plexus which makes them shine. i do this mostly after every second ride with them both. unless ive bedn caught in a down poor or im comuting on the super 8 in which i clean it weekly.

Kymco Super 8 125 (150cc)
    BMW C600 Sport

Member of Hobart Motor Scooter Club
    http://www.cosmicbreed.com/HMSC.htm
  • 11-11-2014 12:17 AM In reply to

Thanks sceptimus, will look into those products. :)

• 11-12-2014 08:32 AM In reply to

I use supercheap autos cheap tyre shine on the Tupperware and degreaser on the alloy bits. I have used wet wipes on the painted/ glossy bits followed by viva paper towel to polish the streaks left by the wet wipes. These leave the dancer smelling pretty too! 

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 11-12-2014 12:48 PM In reply to

• radar
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2011
    • Sydney NSW
    • Posts 39

All

I use Meguiars or Armoural WATERLESS SPRAY DETAILER from SuperCheap or Auto One as well.  Works great on Bird Poo when the car cops it as well.  I just clean everything except the seat just use water for that.  I always use windex in the mirrors as must other things cause them to get foggy.

Radar

• 11-12-2014 12:58 PM In reply to

Giving me some great ideas, thanks all.

• 11-12-2014 08:31 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

Try riding on a wet day with fresh armorall on the foot plates....

• 11-12-2014 08:53 PM In reply to

dbm:

Devil Quite right the correct stuff to use is tyre black apply at the same time you do the tyre treads Zip it!Big Smile

• 11-13-2014 08:06 AM In reply to

dbm:

Found that out the hard way yesterday, washed the foots plates in warm water to get rid of some dirty then silly me wipped it down with the same rag that had armorall on it.

Needless to say my feet were slipping and sliding all the way home in the rain. 

• 11-13-2014 10:19 AM In reply to

• Motif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-19-2014
    • Posts 16

Just a quick re-inforcment about what has been said above in that I have found Meguiars products generally to be high quality and they work.

The other product you may find useful on the scoot's windscreen is Plexus. I've used it for years on the aircraft windscreen and it cleans off bugs well and gives an excellent clear finish. And this is super useful when you are on short final (just about to land) with the sun in your eyes. It's not cheap but it works well and even seems to fill in hair-line scratches.

Ross

Daelim S1
    TGB Bellavita 300i
    Maxsym 400i
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au