Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

New Pirelli Tyres

Last post 11-17-2014 02:37 PM by bradr. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2014 04:13 PM

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 119

New Pirelli Tyres

Hi!

I have just fitted new Pirelli tyres to my Honda Forza (NSS300). The standard tyre sizes are 120/70-14 (front) and 140/70-13 (rear). Honda fits Dunlop tyres as OEM supply but I wanted to try either Pirelli or Sava tyres. It seems that Honda Australia is the only source of rear tyres in the standard size. Both Pirelli and Sava have 140/60-13. I include all this as a lead-up to my problem.

The new Pirellis seem to be "tram-lining" just a bit. It seems to happen is the road surface is a little uneaven or porely laid. If the road surface is smooth then there is no problem. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this issue or not. Its not a big deal just a niggle in the back of my (otherwise empty) brain.

Canberra Motorcycles, who supplied and fitted the new tyres, has pumped them up with nitrogen; I don't suppose that makes any difference?

A mate thought that the Pirellis might have a more "Vee" profile than the previous Dunlops and it might be an issue while the new tyres bed in.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Peter

PS: Hers's what happened to the old rear tyre:

My buggered rear tyre!

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 11-13-2014 04:36 PM In reply to

Re: New Pirelli Tyres

What happened to the old tyre was it over inflated or something ?

• 11-13-2014 04:45 PM In reply to

Maybe because they took the wheels off, it may take a bit for the handling to settle down. Give it a bit of running in and see if you think you have a problem.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 11-13-2014 09:09 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

How many kms did that tyre do ?, its either been over inflated or the scooter is always very upright through corners ?  , what pressure do you run in the tyres ?.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 11-14-2014 02:33 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 119

This reply is to "bradr" and "pyrah"

The original Dunlops had about 8,500 km on them. Two weeks before the back tyre gave out I had to do a really drastic panic stop from about 110 kph as an old guy pulled out of a side track (he just didn't bother giving away to his right - he sat and waited for several cars to go past then as I and two others approached on our bikes he just pulled out in front of us). I was really surprised how quickly and how straight the Forza pulled up. I believe that without the ABS brakes I would have crashed into his car.

The NRMA guy who towed me back into Canberra reckoned that the tyre damage was caused by "sliding" the tyre. The only "slide" I could think of was the panic braking episode.

Tyre pressures were not an issue. The tyres had been checked two days before. I run 25 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back (as per the owners manual).

I didn't check the tyres after the panic stop. I think that I probably seriously "flat-sided" the rear in that stop. When the tyre gave out I was on my way home from a 850 km two day ride to Koorawatha and back. The relatively high speed running out west probably caused the tyre to wear to the point where it could no longer hold any air.

That's my theory! I simply don't ride the scooter that hard.

Regards,
    Peter 

Peter Anderson & Co.

• 11-14-2014 11:30 PM In reply to

I thought the ABS would stop the wheels locking up skidding and abrading the tread off tyres ?

• 11-15-2014 12:08 AM In reply to

Yes that would have been my assumption as well.

Tyres have been known to be defective before, could that have been a possibility?

• 11-15-2014 02:57 AM In reply to

Quick search on the web suggests the rear tyre was at the end of it's service life and simply worn out  Big Smile

• 11-15-2014 04:43 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 119

pyrah:

Quick search on the web suggests the rear tyre was at the end of it's service life and simply worn out  Big Smile

You're probably right. Looked Ok when I set out for the ride to Koorawatha. Funny that it would wear so badly on only a quarter/third of the tyre circumference. Other parts of the tyre had pleanty of tread.

Peter

Peter Anderson & Co.

• 11-15-2014 06:08 PM In reply to

Unfortunately branding doesn't seem to mean much these days with several manufacturers having their their tyres all made in the same factory in any country that has adequate manufacturing capability.

You're as bad as me, you used to be so much better, that makes you worse.

Red Gilera Fuoco 500ie
  • 11-17-2014 02:37 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

The tyre had done 8,500 kms  , you did an 850km trip out west , that means you had 7650 kms on the tyre before the big trip , my guess is that the trip out west was mostly straight road rather than tight with plenty of twisties ?, i reckon that your scooter is being ridden very upright most of the time rather than being leaned too far into the corners ?, that tyre would have been on the verge of worn out prior to the big trip , the heat generated on a tyre that worn in the centre would have been pretty severe , be thankful it didn't blow out @ speed , maybe try leaning the machine a bit more through the corners , at least then you'll wear more tread from the tyre instead of the centre only.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au