Scooter
Community

Info wanted on road condition,

Last post 02-10-2015 04:59 PM by MajorBumsore. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2015 10:39 AM

Info wanted on road condition,

Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the road is like after you leave Thunderbolt Way at Nowendoc? The road then goes through Brackendale and goes to Walcha. I am doing a ride up the New England area, and looking at a few alternate routes. I'll be on a Burgman 400. Thanks

Carpe Diem
  • 02-08-2015 10:59 AM In reply to

Re: Info wanted on road condition,

If you can make contact with a local NRMA serviceman they can normally give you the answers

Also my directory shows 2 roads one to the east which I take to be dirt and the one to the west which shows bitumen and is slightly longer

Also getting to Nowendoc could be on some dirt according to my map

Have a safe and happy trip and hope to catch up soon and behave yourself in "Swinging" WALCHA

riding for fun
  • 02-08-2015 11:46 AM In reply to

Google streetview may help..it seems Thunderbolts Way is tar in the few places I looked..The overheads show it to be tar all the way to Walcha

Brand New and very Shiny Maxsym 400

2004 Gilera VXR200
  • 02-08-2015 01:09 PM In reply to

Tempest, thanks for that.Thunderbolts way is definitely tarred for it's full length, though quite lumpy in places. But the road I am looking at is the road that leaves Thunderbolts at Nowendoc and goes through a place called Brackendale up to Walcha. I have a directory that shows it as sealed, but also a roadmap that says "surface unspecified". There is no google streetview available.

Carpe Diem
  • 02-08-2015 01:13 PM In reply to

G'day Rod. Thunderbolts way is fully sealed, but the other road you mentioned is the one I want to know about. I was hoping someone had ridden it. I want the opinion of two-wheelers. Hope to catch up with you and the mob on the 19th.  GH

Carpe Diem
  • 02-09-2015 06:16 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

I've done the Thunderbolt on a 250cc X7 and a Postie (and a pushbike!) ... Going north from Nowendoc is a lot easier than getting there. There is a serious climb starting around Giro Rd that a small-engine bike should take its time doing-- but a Burgie shouldn't even break a sweat.

If you're returning the same way, that Giro Rd area is a massacre on brakes! ... Take lots of cool-down stops.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_b/5266659247

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_b/4571117492/

I love camping at the Memorial Hall... :)

• 02-09-2015 09:58 PM In reply to

Major

thunderbolts way is a great ride. Bitumen from the Pacific Hwy to Walcha and beyond. The road rises fairly sharply

(about 550 Mts) from Bretti reserve to Thunderbolts lookout. This is seriously spectacular country and the Burger will love it.

About two years ago I detoured in the campervan and came down what I think was Brackendale rd. It was all dirt

but having said that it was a designated school bus route and as such, not bad as dirt roads go.

there are great eatery's at Gloucester, Walcha and Uralla and good fuel in these towns.

this area is a riders paradise. It's scenery, roads, weather and people combine to make it

one of the top rides in this country. Enjoy

Cheers Rev

Current ride Maxsym 400i. Suzuki Boulevard C50. BMW F650 GS. BMW R1200GS. Gone but not forgotten BMW K1200R. sold. plus a heap of boxes that have added up to some neat and not so neat old motorcycles.
  • 02-09-2015 10:05 PM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Hi Major 'your bum may well be sore after this..',

You'll love the ride, CWC did it ast year, scoll through these posts for more info.

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/7373.aspx?PageIndex=288

I don't recall ever having to traverse dirt roads except for the odd bits of new road work going on. And the surface seemed OK all the way. Tony was on a Burgman 400 and had a great time as we all did.

Here's some GPS tracks of the weekend that may help. This shows (blue) the whole ride we did with the ride up through Knowendoc to Walcha.

Copy the image address and open in a new tab for full size.

And this zoomed in a bit on the to Walcha leg. Copy the image address and open in a new tab for full size.

According to my maps, everything either side of Thunderbolts in this area ends in dirt and/or the mddle of nowhere.

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 02-10-2015 01:52 PM In reply to

Thunderbolts Way has been fully tarred for many years and more and more people are using it instead of the New England Hwy. The road surface is generally OK though there are a couple of sections on the steep bits around Giro State Forest that are still under repair. Speed limits are quite variable on this section too. The road from Nowendoc, through Brackendale to Walcha is dirt but easily do-able on a scooter at a sensible speed. I have no problems doing dirt roads on a scooter but if you're not comfortable on dirt stick to Thunderbolts Way - keep your eye out for wombats north of Nowendoc at dusk or at night. An alternative route from Walcha to Armidale is to go west to Walcha Road (has a pub), turn right (north), heading for Wollun and Kentucky, stopping at the general store there for a coffee (or lunch), then turn left (west) at the top end of Kentucky village and head for the New England Hwy, then north to Uralla, Armidale etc. All tar and virtually no traffic on the minor roads.

Honda Spacy - 54,000 kms
    Vespa 150 Super (for restoration)
    Daelim S1 - 640 kms
    Piaggio X7 - 27,000 kms
    Vespa GTS 300 - see how this goes
  • 02-10-2015 04:59 PM In reply to

Thank you, Scooter Rev, Eccles, ..., and Gaje. All good info, and just what I needed.

Carpe Diem
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au