Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Scooter recommendation

Last post 11-11-2015 06:41 PM by wombat. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2015 07:06 PM In reply to

Re: Scooter recommendation

JN250:
    INMA:
    There is a reason why Honda. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki bikes and scooters have good resale value,
    But they dont. Like I said, 2nd hand japanese scooters and motorcycle lose money hand over fist. 

2015 AN650 Burgman is $14,500

2014 AN650 Burgman is $8990

2006 AN650 Burgman is $3000

Thats a big haircut, hardly what I call good resale 

Link to page of bikes http://tinyurl.com/p2sadb8 

Might be an eastern states thing but the 2014 Burgmans I looked at before I bought my TMax were no way near that $9k mark.   Not unless they already had 50k km on the clock.  Sub 10k km ones were still up around the 11 to 12grand mark. 

From the quick look I just had on bike sales a brand new Jetmax is around $4500 to $5000.   One with 800km on the clock is going for $3500.  So a 25ish% drop.   A 2014 Burger with 1500km on the clock is $12k, which would be an 18ish% drop in value.   So based on %'s the Burger is a better buy. 

It's all dependent on how much you have to spend in the first place.  To me my money was spent well on a 2014 Tmax with 4000km on the clock with a 2 year Yamaha warranty.   Resale value is somewhat irrelevant as I have no intention, bar accident, to get rid of it as it does all I need and I can with reasonable evidence to back it up, say that it will probably outlast my need for two wheels. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 09-11-2015 06:52 AM In reply to

HB-Zip50:
    From the quick look I just had on bike sales a brand new Jetmax is around $4500 to $5000.   One with 800km on the clock is going for $3500.  So a 25ish% drop.   A 2014 Burger with 1500km on the clock is $12k, which would be an 18ish% drop in value.   So based on %'s the Burger is a better buy. 

Thats a very weird way of thinking you have there. To my way of thinking that proves the Jetmax is easily the better 2nd hand buy

According to you its had a 25% haircut vs 18% - thats better for the buyer

It only has 800klm on the clock vs 1500klm - thats better for the buyer

Its $3500 Vs $12,000 so I have $8,500 in my pocket  - thats definately better for the buyer

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-11-2015 06:26 PM In reply to

I get what you mean for about the bike that depreciates faster being better for the buyer.  Of course, if you buy something that has dropped in price then brilliant.  Great for the buyer.....  but what happens when you become the seller....???   That same benefit you got in the beginning of a rapidly depreciating bike bites you as the seller. 

Granted if you had $5k to spend. Yes, the Jetmax would make sense as a Burger that costs $5k would have a silly amount of KM's.   The arguement of having more money in your pocket by buying a cheaper scooter is somewhat irrelevant.  Would be like me saying, why not by a Zip50 for $2k instead of the Jetmax.  have an extra 2k in pocket.    We could both justify our purchases to ourselves, and ultimately that's all that matters. 

I understand that you have had a great time with your choice of scooter and spent 1000s of trouble free KM's aboard it.   If others post the same stories then maybe peoples attitudes would change.  To many of us though, the stigma and reputation of chinese made vehicles keeps us away.  

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 09-12-2015 12:11 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Congrats on the Tmax.

A friend has one and loves it.

He put his girlfriend on the back with all their luggage and spent a month touring Tasmania.

The Tmax is a great scooter.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-12-2015 08:20 AM In reply to

double post

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-12-2015 08:20 AM In reply to

HB-Zip50:
    Would be like me saying, why not by a Zip50 for $2k instead of the Jetmax.  have an extra 2k in pocket. 
    Lets stick with Maxi for Maxi

HB-Zip50:
    If others post the same stories then maybe peoples attitudes would change.
    The very nature of forums is you usually hear from those who are either very happy or very annoyed. The vast majority of happy users with nothing to report are not represented.

HB-Zip50:
    To many of us though, the stigma and reputation of chinese made vehicles keeps us away. 

My grandfather had one of the first German car dealerships in Australia after WW2. I imagine there was all sorts of stigma regarding german builds then.

My father bought a Datsun in the 70's, he copped all sorts of flack for buying a Japanese car.

My father in law bought one of the first Hyundais released in Australia, everyone said he was mad.

I have a mate who bought a Kia. He copped the same

Now I have a Chinese Scooter.

And while SOME Chinese vehicles have a dubious reutation others have a reputation for reliability and better build quality. CFMoto is one of those companies having been around for over a quarter of a century. They are good enough that KTM get the Duke built by them http://www.cfmoto.com.au/news-3464/u8

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-12-2015 09:06 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

JN250, when you put your wife on the back with luggaqge and do an interstate trip, I'll start to believe you about the Jetmax.

Even better spend a few weeks on it doing interstate touring with Australian daily distances.

Until then I look at the Jetmax as a cheap commuter at the bottom of the heap of maxi scooters. When your in Queensland touring and a cable or similar starts playing up, support is hard to find for orphan brands.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 09-12-2015 09:36 AM In reply to

INMA:
    JN250, when you put your wife on the back with luggaqge and do an interstate trip, I'll start to believe you about the Jetmax.

It can carry a 150kg load as comfortably as any other scooter.

Does crossing a border somhow make the miles more credible? I could live at Coolangatta and work at Tweed Heads and I would be doing an interstate trip several days/week while only travelling a few klm or less return.

Logic says that as I have near 15000 trouble free klms on the clock much of it at 100kph+ and others have 50,000 klm on the clock that they can travel interstate.

INMA:
    I look at the Jetmax as a cheap commuter
    That it is.

INMA:
    When your in Queensland touring and a cable or similar starts playing up, support is hard to find for orphan brands.
    Its as hard as it would be for any brand. I am sure if I am in the back of burke and a part breaks on my Burgmaxwing the local farm equip shop wont have a part either, but they will get on the internet and order one in, just like the Jetmax user would.

Look, I am not saying the Burgmaxwing or whatever is bad, far from it they are great bikes but they are not the ONLY bikes.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-12-2015 04:23 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

If your so happy with the Jetmax, why are you looking at modifying the rear suspension?

I've modified my rear suspension and there are lots of things needed checking before the scooter was safe to ride. Standard scooters are easy.

• 09-12-2015 04:56 PM In reply to

INMA:
    If your so happy with the Jetmax, why are you looking at modifying the rear suspension?

The same reason Burgman riders and I imagine many bike owners are.

Saying that I have backed them off a notch and the ride with just me is remarkably good.

If all bikes were perfect there would be no such thing as aftermarket anything.

INMA:
    I've modified my rear suspension
    Why would you need to do that if your Burgmaxwing is so superior to my cheap chinese bike? (-;

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-12-2015 11:57 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

I've changed my rear suspension to change the handling when cornering because my 50cc scooter has over double the standard engine power and needed some changes to cope with my substantial weight when cornering.

With the extra power comes higher exit speeds from corners and the standard suspension was not as stable as I required.  Its not pleasant when the standard rear suspension bottomed out on corners at speed.

Read the list of bits below and you will see my Italian made Yamaha has many changes that have stretched the performance, all done for giggles, its never too serious.

I stopped riding a 500cc bike after an accident, I do not have the strength to handle a heavy bike so the 75kg Zuma is about all I can handle.  The upgrades give it enough performance to commute in traffic without annoying the cars or scaring me.

I would go back onto a big bike if my shoulder strength ever improves.

• 11-07-2015 06:50 PM In reply to

• Fattle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-25-2014
    • Posts 2

What is burgmaxwing?

• 11-11-2015 06:41 PM In reply to

Any maxi scooter - (suzuki) BURGman, (yamaha) t-MAX, (honda) silverWING

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au