Scooter
Community

Piaggio Beverly BV350

Last post 06-18-2015 08:52 PM by jpfvita. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-19-2015 06:34 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Piaggio Beverly BV350

THE PIAGGIO BEVERLY BV350 REVIEW. PART 1

Got my leg over a BV350 for a week to do some pics and a review. "Watch your licence on this one" Allen said as he handed me the keys. After running about on the 125cc Tricity I was itching for some more grunt and boy does the BV have this in spades.

Its a big solid scooter, 16" front wheel, 14" rear, abs brakes, its thin and tall like a trail bike. With looks only a mother could love, the Beverly reminds me a lot of the larger cc Scarabeo's, big searchlight at the front, good underseat storage, enormous glovebox with a 12V power outlet, fat tyres, its a solid well made piece of machinery designed for town and the freeway. I have to confess that I've never been enamored with this style of scooter but the more I ride it the less I care.

As a long term Vespa GTS250 owner and Quasar fanboy I'd been waiting to see if this new Quasar 350 (actually a 330cc) was as good as the mail I was hearing, and yes it takes off like a scalded cat. This engine produces similar power to the old Master 400cc engine, is fantastic off the lights and has heaps of acceleration with the twist of the throttle at any speed. It feels heaps more powerful than any 250/300 Quasar that Ive ridden before. Piaggio has really hit the nail on the head with this new donk.  They call the BV350 a Sports Tourer and after riding it for only a couple of days, I have no doubts that it will perform both of these roles with ease. Really looking forward to taking it out on the open road to see what it is capable of.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-20-2015 08:16 AM In reply to

Re: Piaggio Beverly BV350

I would consider replacing my X7 300 with something like this (or if I've got enough patience) a Vespa 350. I'd be interested in how you rated its suspension performance and pillion capability. If it handles anything like my X7 it would be a great ride. Pity its been hit so badly with the ugly stick.

Honda Spacy - 54,000 kms
    Vespa 150 Super (for restoration)
    Daelim S1 - 640 kms
    Piaggio X7 - 27,000 kms
    Vespa GTS 300 - see how this goes
  • 03-20-2015 01:53 PM In reply to

gaje48a:
    Pity its been hit so badly with the ugly stick.

I think it looks a bit like the older Aprilia Scarabeos, might be similar to ride. It is the kind of scooter that I might find useful, not quite a maxi but can be ridden on open roads, I am interested in hearing more about it.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 03-23-2015 02:37 PM In reply to

scoot-agogo:

I am interested in hearing more about it.

There is certainly plenty of info on the Bev.  Been out for a few years now.  All the people I have met that own one have used it as an upgrade from a sub 250 scooter.  To me they are one of the best city run abouts.  Plenty of poke, narrow for filtering, and great storage underseat. 

I have seen a couple with a taller screen for longer distance runs.  I certainly had a hard look however I found the riding position for me, at 6'1" was a little cramped.   Would be a great alternative for someone not wanting to step into the Maxi Scoot area due to size. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-24-2015 07:20 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

REVIEW PART 2

I took the Beverly BV350 for a run out onto some country roads on Sunday in the company of a BMWC650GT and a Yamaha TMax 530. The BV had impressed me around town with its fiesty acceleration, big wheels and good brakes but I hadn't had a chance to wind it out on the freeway or push it hard into tight twisties or to test it on patchworked C grade roads.

On a rough speedo calibration I reckon the Beverly's speedo reads between 5-10k/h opitmistic and because I'm down to 1 point on my licence I was reluctant to see its top speed on the freeway. What I can say was it was certainly quick enough to ride in the fast lane, had plenty up its sleeve for quick overtakes, didn't get slowed down on the big hills, got it to 140 for a few seconds and knew it could go further before backing off to more legal speeds. The big wheels and the weight of the scooter made it feel very stable at freeway speeds and I felt that it would ride all day at 120. There was some buffeting over the screen but it wasn't extreme.

When I got onto the Old Road it was drying out after some earlier rain and a certain amount of caution needed to be exercised through the forest,  but with a good surface and tight corners the Bev handled well and I was able to stick to the tail of the bigger cc maxis. As we continued on our ride we swapped scooters and Ian and Elliot gave the BV a squirt while I took some pics.

By the time we got down Mangrove Mountain to the bumpy patchworked goat track road to Wisemans Ferry the surface was dry but the stiff suspension of the Beverly gave me a pretty bumpy ride. Although I was able to get along at a reasonable clip, this is where the big tall scooter is most challenged.

There is an excellent road between Maroota and Windsor and on this good surface the Beverly was back in its zone. I was finally able to lean it hard and fast though some good corners, and I was pleasantly impressed with how well it stuck to the road. It drops in well, keeps a stable line through the corner and has the acceleration to power out. 

We headed back to town via Berowra Waters. The ride all up was 250ks over all sorts of roads and conditions and the fuel warning light was just coming on. When I re fueled it took 8.84 litres which worked out at about 29ks/litre. Considering the spirited riding we'd done I thought that was pretty damn economical.

This is a big, solid, well made scooter that sits slim and tall. With the brilliant upgraded Quasar 330cc engine that has plenty of poke, its very quick through the traffic and can sit in the fast lane with ease. It can handle the tight twisties but is challenged when the roads get rough. With its big wheels, abs brakes, and traction control Its almost a Maxi in its size and power.  Although it's a good all rounder for me the Beavers biggest problem is at $9,700 on road. I'd be paying the extra $2,200 and grabbing a TMax or even going up to a BMW, 2 maxis that really are a class above the Italian...but as a Vespa fan I was really excited about this new Quasar engine, it certainly is a quantum leap forward.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 03-25-2015 12:33 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Ians observations of the BV350

The Piaggio Beverly 350 – my thoughts. This scooter finds itself in a difficult position in the market. While nothing in particular stands out as being wrong, on the flip side nothing convinces me that I need one in my stable either. Its size, style and price combine to limit its appeal and affordability.  I have to ask Piaggio who in the Aussie market is this scooter targeting?

•    Price – fairly expense for what is a large scooter without the space and comfort of a maxi.
    •    Size – fairly tall seat height limits potential owners – shorter riders look elsewhere. Not really a city sized scooter either, not as nimble as a Vespa.
    •    Ergonomics – small foot wells limit comfort on long rides. Too many buttons on the dash.
    •    Style – while pleasantly styled it is too conservative for many tastes – just another plastic scooter, certainly not a classic.
    •    Name – Beverly really, may mean something in Italy…
    •    Street Cred – not a Vespa or a Ninja 300
    •    Chassis – straight forward, conventional automatic. Suspension is mostly comfortable and stable but upset on broken road surfaces while cornering. Some headshake noticeable but only at the limit.
    •    Engine – Very good – probably Piaggio’s best. Some vibration at idle but the nice smooth wet clutch would make the commute in traffic easy. The engine starts to run out of puff on big hills – suggesting the CVT could benefit from lighter rollers.
    •    Brakes – front and rear disc are very powerful. Also great to see ABS fitted to this scooter.
    •    Storage – a few cubby holes in the glove box with a power outlet. Under the seat there is a reasonable storage space but would not take a large laptop – better for soft items.

So where now for the Beverly? I think it has an identity issue. It’s not a maxi or city scooter or classic – it sort of has a unique position. But as any compromise it can do many things, some well and some not so well… Personally I would like to see Piaggio/Aprilia combine the Beverly 350’s engine and brakes with the frame and body of the Aprilia SRMax 300.  Then market the single machine with a sharper price to a broader target market.

• 03-25-2015 12:44 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Brad owns a BV350 and these are his thoughts

Brad

You're right about that engine Pete, it really is a cracker. In fact, it is the first scooter that I would not bother with Dr Pulleys- it works perfectly out of the box, and after 14k on mine there is no apparent change in performance from roller flat spots or the like. It does keep going beyond 140 (in controlled conditions of course!) but it is not so comfortable up there.

Comfort, in fact, is my biggest issue with the Bev. It does have big wheels, but is very tautly suspended and just bloody uncomfortable on bad roads (like Spencer). The payoff is good handling on good roads, it doesn't wallow around sweepers like other scooters of this architecture, but you can feel painted lines!

Having ridden with Pete and Eccles, I know the Bev is quite capable of keeping up with the Maxis on the Putty Loop. But the city, and urban freeways, are its natural habitat. It filters as well as a Vespa, and is so quick off the mark that pretty much anything else needs to break the speed limit to get past you.

For the money I think there is nothing better at cutting a path across the Anzac bridge every morning. That tight handling and perfectly tuned engine/transmission make the Bev a real weapon and huge amounts of fun. But if you head out to the country too often you will feel it beating the crap out of you on rougher roads.

Another interesting thing about this engine is it is low maintenance- 10k service intervals, and the belt and rollers at 20k.

Another last annoying thing too: the traction control is a bit "low-res", effective in the wet for sure, but in the dry it is too easily triggered by bumps or rough surfaces and can be very abrupt in its operation. I generally turn it off in the dry, but then there is a very bright orange light on the dashboard!
    The ABS works good but.

Quote that!

• 03-25-2015 06:29 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

But the city, and urban freeways, are its natural habitat. It filters as well as a Vespa, and is so quick off the mark that pretty much anything else needs to break the speed limit to get past you.

For the money I think there is nothing better at cutting a path across the Anzac bridge every morning. That tight handling and perfectly tuned engine/transmission make the Bev a real weapon and huge amounts of fun.

• 03-26-2015 03:53 AM In reply to

Nice to see some detail pics, Italian scoots: nothing has ever fallen off my old Aprilia, upholstery is in good nick, has really nice paint, it just had a dodgy indicator switch from new that I was able to repair.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 03-26-2015 10:27 AM In reply to

there i an update for the traction control. see your dealer for that.

argentum melle
  • 04-18-2015 10:49 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

I am 6ft tall, and I found the buffeting quite bad. The cure is to cut 37mm off the top of the screen ( that's 1.5 inches), the airflow is now totally smooth for me. I give no guarantees on this mod! If you are a bit shorter, you might cut a bit more, if you are a lot shorter it's probably best as is.

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 06-18-2015 08:52 PM In reply to

It sounds like a fun scooter to ride and sure its no oil painting but I own a Honda spacy so its hard for me to call anyother scooter ugly and keep a straight face

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au