Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

rear end noise?

Last post 03-25-2015 06:16 PM by emubob. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-22-2015 08:47 AM

• emubob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-21-2015
    • Posts 8

rear end noise?

on my vs125 when slowing down on the road it starts to make some funny noises,as if there is something about to fall off.idling and powering up no problems,only on the slow down.scooter has done 21,365klms, transmission oil changed at last service against my local scooter repairers advice,quote the oil in the transmission is as good as the day it was put in at the factory,being as how it's a sealed unit and it was dirty when i changed it.i've checked every nut that could be loose and re-tightened the rear axle nut that keeps coming loose and allows a small wobble in the rear wheel.asked if could be a bearing problem,again told no.was told it could be the catalytic convertor may have come loose.where is that and how do i check it,is it repairable?hoping some one can help,bye for now,emubob

• 03-23-2015 12:32 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Re: rear end noise?

The rear wheel coming lose is probably the first thing to sort out.

Assuming you tightened the nut with a torque wrench, there is something wrong.

If the wheel has been lose, there will be wear on the splines which will continue to cause problems.

The noise might be there all the time but engine noises drown it outunderpower.

If the noise persists after sorting out the wheel, I'd start checking the variator, belt, contra spring and torque driver. A clean, lubricate andcareful reassembly should have been done with the belt replacement.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 03-23-2015 12:25 PM In reply to

Change the wheel bearing and change mechanics. If the wheel wobbles side to side and the nuts are tight, it's the bearing. 

I've had a bearing go on my VS150 at less that 21,000 K's.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 03-25-2015 06:16 PM In reply to

• emubob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-21-2015
    • Posts 8

mechanic checked and cleaned the variator and clutch.says there was some binding on the variator.seems to be okay now on the ride home.emubob

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au