Scooter
Community

Which manufacturer offers the tyre of choice for 2005 Yamaha Tmax?

Last post 08-03-2017 09:32 PM by pellicle. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2015 01:30 PM

Which manufacturer offers the tyre of choice for 2005 Yamaha Tmax?

A very satisfied 2005 Tmax owner now getting to the final rubber of Bridgestone Battlax tyres. Which tyre (Front and Rear) are considered the best Tmax choice for mostly short distance rides in a city environment and available in Sydney NSW Australia? Any Tmax tyre experiences, ideas & opinions are appreciated ...

2005 Yamaha TMax XP500-3A
  • 03-26-2015 03:52 PM In reply to

• GP1er
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2013
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 46

Re: Which manufacturer offers the tyre of choice for 2005 Yamaha Tmax?

http://www.balmainmotorcycles.com.au/bridgestonemotorcycletyres.html  These guys show they've got Battlax.  Seems only down to 14".  I've been interested in a pair though my rear is 13". Sad  

I did a Google AU search.   I presently use Michelin Powerpures, but want something with a slicker tread, but street-legal like the Sava MC31-S, I think it is.  

Kind regards,

Mick Smile

GP1 250
    Malossi Lambda Emulator, Malossi Double Red Sponge air filter, after market rear shocks, 11inch short chrome muffler, 8g Dr Pulley variator weights, ballistic 8-cell EVO 2 battery, oil breather from valve cover, & airbox tube blocked off, taller Michelin Power Pure rear tyre 130/70.

I check the SC when possible: please, no pm's or emails :)
  • 03-27-2015 11:57 AM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 269

Ricstar8:

A very satisfied 2005 Tmax owner now getting to the final rubber of Bridgestone Battlax tyres. Which tyre (Front and Rear) are considered the best Tmax choice for mostly short distance rides in a city environment and available in Sydney NSW Australia? Any Tmax tyre experiences, ideas & opinions are appreciated ...

Currently running michelin pilot sport on rear and pirelli diablo scooter on front for the city commute. The michelin on the front seemed to wear quickly.

Apparently Contis are good, according to bike servicing dude.

• 05-11-2015 09:55 AM In reply to

Hi all

Does anyone know if Kenda Tyers are any good. ?They don't feel to bad in the dry but I don't know anything about them in the wet

• 05-11-2015 11:43 AM In reply to

I don't know about their scooter tires but I like the Kenda mountain bike tires.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 05-11-2015 12:11 PM In reply to

If i was looking for the cheaper brand tyres think i would buy from the SAVA range

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-11-2015 10:53 PM In reply to

Just a thought to mention though you may be aware that speed rating for a T-Max tyre would have to be greater than the usual scooter tyre.

jpfvita:

Hi all

Does anyone know if Kenda Tyers are any good. ?They don't feel to bad in the dry but I don't know anything about them in the wet

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 10-07-2015 08:55 PM In reply to

I run Pirelli Diablo Scooter tyres on my big Pug. They are made in Brazil and are pretty cheap, averaging $170 for the pair.

I tried the Slovenian made Savas and had a nasty loss of rubber (a fists worth) doing a high speed Hume Highway run between Gundagai and Goulburn.

The Brazilian Diablos seem like a good thing.

• 10-22-2015 08:19 PM In reply to

Battlax and Pirellis are the tyres pushed on me by various stores for the Burgman 650.

Various users say they dont wear that well, the dablos worse than the battlax.

Users in the US have said they are getting good results from similar sized Michelin City Grips on the rear, same on the front and I used these on the Jetmax with great results.

A few days ago I replaced the worn battlax with a Michelin City Grip on the rear of the Burgman for a total cost of $70 fitted Vs $250+ for a Battlax and guess what, it works fine.

Extra bonus points was that as the height was marginally different the speedo is now more accurate.

Some will say the City Grip isnt suitable because of speed rating but we dont need 200kph tires on scooters here because the speed limit is 110

The city grip is rated to 180kph, so more than adequate.  It also has a higher load rating than the Diablo or the Battlax.

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 10-23-2015 06:30 AM In reply to

Passing manouvres will often take one well over 110kph, I was using Michelin Power Pure's that are supposed to have dual compound for better wear, but I found they didn't last anywhere near as long as the stock Sava tires, there is probably a trade-off between durability and max. performance.

JN250:
    The city grip is rated to 180kph, so more than adequate

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 10-23-2015 07:40 AM In reply to

I think the stock Burgman tires have an H speed rating, I read the higher ratings generally translate into better handling, which I would equate with better safety, so it might be worth the extra cost.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 10-23-2015 12:28 PM In reply to

Battlax H rating is 210kph , City Grip S rating is 180kph so 30kph extra for a $200 price premium in a land with 110kph limits 

Battlax load rating is 290kg, City Grip load rating is 300kg, although only 10kg higher load rating would be better for touring 2 up.

As for handling I am feeling far more confident on my fully treaded City Grips Vs the well worn Battlax and my riding style precludes me from the boy racer set so I see no need for a boy racer tyre.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 10-23-2015 12:30 PM In reply to

scoot-agogo:
    Passing manouvres will often take one well over 110kph,

For a very short time and no where near 180kph rating on the Michelin.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 07-25-2016 07:33 PM In reply to

Sorry Guys ... I should have acknowledged all you contributors ages ago ...

Thanks to all contributors and to thanks in advance to any who wish to add new experiences going forward ...

No doubt about it - Having the right rubber really does matter -

"Two bobs worth" ... IMHO - If you're serious about finding a new ride ... You owe it to yourself to try out a TMax Model of similar vintage ... "Simply Sensational"

OR am I merely singing praises to the already converted ? ... lol

Ric

2005 Yamaha TMax XP500-3A
  • 07-25-2016 08:55 PM In reply to

Still rideing on the same Kenda tyres haven't had one scary moment and have ridden in the rain plenty of Times now. 

Have read alot about city grips all good stuff. Certainty never read anything bad. 

I made up my mind ages ago when the Tmax came down to a price I could afford I'd get one

STILL WAITEING.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au