Scooter
Community

Aprillia scarabeo 500ie 2006 regulator replacement.

Last post 04-30-2015 04:01 AM by Cuttlefish. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2015 09:39 AM

Aprillia scarabeo 500ie 2006 regulator replacement.

Been a few years since I've been on the forum.

Sold my PX200 ([:'(] and have been scooterless since.

Recently I couldn't take it anymore and started looking for a scoot again.

Came across an Aprillia scarabeo 500ie 06 with just 4500 kms on it.

Only trouble is it has the EFI light comes on after a minute or so of riding which seems to point to a faulty regulator. It goes off again at idle.

Looking at the back of the regulator it has the Part No 434 40 6001 and underneath that 29 06.

Checking on AF1's website it has Part No 58086R for my chassis No prefix of ZD4VR000 at $200 USD which is a standard regulator so asking for the same issue again.http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=2463

Also this one which is cheaper http://www.electrosport.com/scooters/aprilia/scarabeo-500-gt-abs/regulatorrectifier-aprilia-vespa-2.html and says This part No replaces Aprillia part No 8127205 which is the old part No according to AF1. They claim it is a better unit than standard.

Should I have someone test the regulator first or just order a replacement?

Can anyone recommend another plug and play replacement for the stock regulator?

Good to be back but I'm jonesing to ride the Aprillia without frying my battery or ecu so want to get this sorted asap.

"Vespista" is not actually Italian slang for a drunken Vespa rider.
  • 04-20-2015 11:29 AM In reply to

Re: Aprillia scarabeo 500ie 2006 regulator replacement.

Hi, I ride a '06 Sportcity and have been ordering parts recently, Aprilia was bought by Piaggio around that time and have rationalized the parts so the newer Piaggio part number is correct for your scooter, it appears to have been superceded again by 639110.This new regulator is quite expensive it seems, around $200 USD, SIP scooter shop in Germany still sells 58086R which appears to be significantly cheaper with part currently available and their shipping price is good, I think around $30 to Aus.

I have seen people writing about issues with Electrosport regulators, I think I read something about them damaging the electrics and that not to use them, maybe they need to be matched to their stators. Rick's Motorsports make regulators for that model, I don't hear anything bad about that brand but I think the SIP one is the best value, unless that part had problems and the 63110 is better but 58086R might be good for the price.

Edit: it seems when replacing the regulator to also check that stator and wires, connections are OK .

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 04-20-2015 12:40 PM In reply to

Hi Scoot,

thanks for the link.

Sip have (66.39 Eu) $91.83 as the postage cost which is a bit much.

What about this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281385560560?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 04-20-2015 01:14 PM In reply to

I just used their online shipping calculator to my address in Canberra and it estimates $30.12 via Fed-Ex economy which I have used no probs, also UPS Express Saver $44.17, Fed-Ex Express $61.89, UPS Expedited $106.24. Choose the cheapest Fed-Ex Economy, they send it by air and gets here within a week.

The E-Bay one comes from Italy and shipping to Australia by them is expensive but might work out cheaper than from AF1 because of the good price they offer, use Google translate to communicate if they p.m. you in Italian and you don't understand.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 04-20-2015 01:37 PM In reply to

Thanks again.

Got the right shipping costs once I registered and went through all the checkout to shipping section.

$44.17 with ups express saver and it's sorted.

Now to get the rest of my front plastic off ready for the transplant.

"Nurse, scalpel, swabs, suction..."

Cheers.

• 04-20-2015 01:52 PM In reply to

I just put item in the basket and clicked on 'Live! Shipping Costs', SIP is a great shop too I think.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 04-21-2015 12:06 PM In reply to

The next challenge is figuring out how the hell to get all the bloody plastic off to get to the lower plug.

I've got as far as the centre tunnel (inbetween the feet) and not sure how to get it off without pulling all sorts of unecessary pieces off as well.

Edit: managed to find the brown plug to unplug the 3 yellow wires lead under the centre tunnel by levering it up. Now to wait for the replacement regulator and then put everything back together again and hopefully problem solved.

Really makes me appreciate the simplicity of my old PX 200.

• 04-22-2015 06:30 AM In reply to

There is a workshop manual for your scooter in the downloads section here that shows how to take it apart ('06-'00 models?), unfortunately they have a separate engine manual that seems to be hard to get and isn't here, the engine model is designated as an Aprilia M 273 M that I think is a Piaggio Master engine so may be similar in many respects to other scooters with the Master 500 engine.

Edit: perhaps buy the engine manual and wiring diagram from AF1?

Probably the one to get, https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=6101 ('08-'11 models? I think this is for the i.e. model with ecu on the throttle body, the download here is the one with ecu in the front bodywork, https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=5544 I think this is the frame manual for earlier version).

Engine manual, https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=5545 ('03-'06 models?)

Wiring diagram, https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38397 ('08-'11 models?)

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 04-22-2015 02:35 PM In reply to

I was looking for your scooter's VIN and came across this, http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://katalog.scootertech.at/Zweirad/fahrzeug/scarabeo-500-light-2006-euro3.html&prev=search

It says that engine type is M343M which is important to know for finding parts, I gave you info about M273M which might be the wrong engine.

I found a shop that was selling the regulator you bought as for yours, ZD4VR000. As for the manuals, they will have in them which engines they are for.

I think you need to check on the engine case for the engine no. which should also include the type "M (some number) M",

crankcase ID

This is my old crankcase showing engine model M281M, but I have got a new replacement crankcase that has no number on it but has a Piaggio part number and is actually for a Sportcity Cube 125, a later version of my scooter but is the replacement part described for my model and I think it is compatible but has more room in the lower variator housing for the drive belt and also needed a different belt cover.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 04-27-2015 07:12 AM In reply to

Been keeping myself amused watching the progress of my regulators shipping as it traversed its way across Germany then to the US and across then onto Hawaii and now its hit Botany. Should arrive by end of day Tuesday.

• 04-29-2015 03:42 AM In reply to

Regulator turned up Tuesday afternoon with enough time for me to plug it in and check that no more efi light. Then bolt it in and replace all the plastic jigsaw of panels and go for a quick scoot to confirm it was working as it should.

So far so good.

Just in time for a couple of days of rain to arrive....bugger!

Hopefully the waves will be good instead.

• 04-29-2015 04:57 AM In reply to

Good luck.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
  • 04-30-2015 04:01 AM In reply to

The regulator I received was the right part No and I also found a workshop manual online for my engine No and cross-checked the regulator part No with other sources so it will be good.

The trough (soon to be an East coast low) dumping rain on us is another matter. No riding until that buzzs off.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au