Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

milage?

Last post 05-17-2015 12:48 PM by lead runner. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2015 05:52 PM

milage?

My good old Derbi GP1 250i has clocked up some serious k's it's up over 80000 now, I fairly sure Pete's vespa GTS has done that and more? So my question is just how many k's can a regularly serviced Piaggio powered 250 do? Or will I have to wait and see when it keels over and kicks it's legs in the air? 

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 05-12-2015 06:11 PM In reply to

Re: milage?

That incredicble.   I guess, like with cars you never actually know how many KM's you will get.   My grandparents had a 71 Crown with over a million km on the clock.   They died before it did.  Now my cousin owns it and drives it regularly. 

If you keep it well maintained, no reason it won't just keep going. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 05-12-2015 07:32 PM In reply to

The big thing is how it has been run lots of short run stop starts will wear an engine out more than an engine that as traveled further but less cold starts IMHO

• 05-13-2015 09:26 AM In reply to

Can't say about a 250, as mine has only done 36,000 km, but I had my Vespa GS150 for 12 years and it did 120,000 miles = 193,000 km. That included replacing the crankshaft once, the rear axle once, and the piston and cylinder a couple of times. As long as spares are avilable, they will go forever.

Mike

• 05-13-2015 04:02 PM In reply to

pyrah:
    The big thing is how it has been run

Almost all of the ks are being done on the highway, my daily commute is 90ks per day, travelling at 110+Surprise for 25mins straight.

So thats a good thing then.

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.

Oh

Stock is BEST!
  • 05-13-2015 05:12 PM In reply to

pyrah:
    The big thing is how it has been run lots of short run stop starts will wear an engine out more

Boy, that does not look good for my TMax..... Maybe i'm going to have to start taking the long route home.  Not the 5.5km ride in traffic that I do at the moment..... Tongue Tied

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 05-13-2015 06:08 PM In reply to

lead runner:

pyrah:
    The big thing is how it has been run

Almost all of the ks are being done on the highway, my daily commute is 90ks per day, travelling at 110+Surprise for 25mins straight.

So thats a good thing then.

LOL yep that will keep the cobwebs at bay Yes

• 05-13-2015 09:07 PM In reply to

I was seriously considering a lams bike for the amount of ks I'm doing but as my scooter is worth $0 I figure why bother?  The scooter is still running, it's stupidly cheep to run,  tyres are only 60 quid every 80000 or so.

There is no good reason to change it other than I really want a shiny new 650 naked street fighter!

I don't NEED one so I'll not justify the spending of money till the Flamenco Dancer is Dead. 

I wonder if there are any other Derbi owners with high mileage too? They aren't the world's best put together machine.  

Oh

Stock is BEST!
  • 05-14-2015 08:41 AM In reply to

It appears the crankshaft bearings are integrated plain bearings on the crankcase like on my scooter's Leader engine so crankcase needs to be replaced with a whole new one when the bearings wear out, mine were worn out and I have just put on a new crankcase, my scooter is nearly to 100, 000 kms, hasn't really been flogged for most of that time, I have also just replaced the camchain and cam sprocket and oil pump chain and sprocket, maybe I could have put a new oil pump in for security because an oil pump failure would be pretty bad, I looked at it when I changed the cylinder at 75000 kms and it was still in good condition then but don't know now.

The other things might be the suspension wearing and other bearings, connecting pins, headset etc., can all be renewed if parts are available but a new motorcycle seems like a good idea to me!

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 05-14-2015 07:37 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

HB-Zip50:

Boy, that does not look good for my TMax..... Maybe i'm going to have to start taking the long route home.  Not the 5.5km ride in traffic that I do at the moment..... Tongue Tied

Fit Dr Pulleys then and you'll find all sorts of reasons to find a longer way home :-)

• 05-14-2015 07:44 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 270

lead runner:
    ,  tyres are only 60 quid every 80000 or so.

Please share the secret of these tyres or are you riding on the dark side? :-)

• 05-17-2015 12:48 PM In reply to

Obvious typo 8000 not 80000!  Though that said my front tyre hasn't been changed for as long as I can remember!  Could be anywhere in the vicinity of 30000! Mind you I ride the scooter at WOT most of the time  so most of the weight is on the rear tyre most of the time.  

Oh

Stock is BEST!
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au