Scooter
Community

Vespa GTS Traction control vs acceleration

Last post 08-13-2015 02:19 PM by Mike Holland. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-28-2015 10:43 AM

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Vespa GTS Traction control vs acceleration

I see on Modern Vespa there is some discussion that turning off the traction control improves take-off and acceleration. Any comment from our speed-demon posters? :) Err, respected performance-enhancers . . .

The Red Menace
  • 07-28-2015 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: Vespa GTS Traction control vs acceleration

Not sure about that wouldnt traction control give you more, ummm , traction off the start.? 

• 07-28-2015 02:47 PM In reply to

I suppose it depends how Piaggio have set it up to when it cuts in to prevent wheel slip

Si β€˜Thi’ later
  • 07-29-2015 10:12 AM In reply to

I test-rode a GTS300 a few weeks ago, and was disappointed with the performance. You open the throttle and the scoot thinks about it for a moment before doing anything. You go over a bump and the ASR cuts in and drops your power for a moment. I didn't like it at all. But I didn't try it with the ASR off.

Anyway, I decided to stick with my hotted-up GTS250. Brakes are better, handling is better and performance much better. I would have to spend ay least $1500 modding the 300 to get it right. 

Mike

Edit: I have read that the ASR has to be tuned in whenever you change tyres or tyre pressure, etc, and that the scooters often come out of the shop without it being tuned in. Maybe makes a difference

• 07-29-2015 11:03 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

Re-setting the traction control made bugger all difference to the Beverly, I just turn it off in the dry. It is rather nice to have when commuting in the wet though.

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 08-10-2015 04:47 PM In reply to

Does the Vespa run fly-by-wire throttle?  How does it actually apply the traction control?   Lots of cars just drop the power going through the rear wheels. 

I have found on the Tmax that you just have to change the way you throttle away from lights when it is wet.   In the dry you just snap your wrist to pretty much wide open throttle.   In the wet you need to roll on the throttle a little slower. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-11-2015 12:17 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

Having done 17,000ks now on a 300 GTS with ABS/Traction control i can tell you its magic & wouldn't swap it . What you describe as bogging down on takeoff is actually an asset & is hardly noticeable after a few thousand ks riding , where the traction control comes into its own is in very extended rear tyre life ( 13,500 kms) from the original rear tyre most of which was high speed summer riding , those of you that own GTS's would be used to getting 8,000ks at best & also that if you ride long distance at high speed that the tyre tread looks like its done some red hot laps on a race track , with traction control there is no tread surface deterioration at all πŸ˜€, what i have found is that riding say the Hume Hwy at 110-120kmh i can detect what appears to be a very very slight gentle surging sensation only noticeable at fairly moderate throttle ( when maintaining a set speed) after quite a while of thinking it may have a fuel map problem i switched the traction off just to see what happened & bingo the surge sensation stopped , what is happening is that the traction control is detecting tyre slip & correcting it so the end result is that the poor little tyre is no longer clawing at the bitumen thus providing much better life . As far as the traction control cutting in over bumps , you would have to have one wheel clear of the ground to achieve that . I have also ridden on wet/diesel covered mountain rds & feel much more in control of things with ABS/Traction , my only criticism if any would be the new double link front end which although far superior through tight corners etc is compartively solid compared to my old GTS , as for you Mike all i can say is that is yours is quicker of the mark than my 300 then it must be bloody quick old mate πŸ˜€, my old 250 would not beat a c63 Benz from the lights but the 300 will & can keep ahead for near 100mts πŸ˜€.  Ps also the ASR dosen't need to be " tuned in" , it self tuned constantly whilst riding just like car traction control does , it will only operate within certain parameters though & if you wear a tyre down too far to the stage where it detects abnormal slip then the traction control will engage with very little provacation , very easy answer is to not run bald tyres , same goes if one tyre has a sudden pressure drop it will upset the traction & ABS function causing the warning lamp to light up , both of these i believe are good points .

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to goπŸ˜„
  • 08-12-2015 02:23 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

bradr:

my only criticism if any would be the new double link front end which although far superior through tight corners etc is compartively solid compared to my old GTS , 

Mine too. It may well be technically superior to the old setup, but I find it somewhat uncomfortable and not very compliant.  Bitubo have a replacement on the way, I believe.

The Red Menace
  • 08-12-2015 03:25 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,034

I've got no complaint with handling , in fact its much quicker through corners than my 250 ever was , i'd say its spring rate & shock specs because it more like my CB400 Honda in that you feel every little bump in the road , but it does get through the tight corners that have a little dip/bump in the middle of them so much more precicely , i guess thats the price we pay to go quicker Smile, don't know how many k's you've done on yours yet but the 300 is just like the 250 in that 10,000kms is that magic number that seems to have everything loosened a gliding along just nicely ,i wouldn't swap mine for quids Big Smile

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to goπŸ˜„
  • 08-13-2015 02:19 PM In reply to

bradr:

.. as for you Mike all i can say is that is yours is quicker of the mark than my 300 then it must be bloody quick old mate πŸ˜€, my old 250 would not beat a c63 Benz from the lights but the 300 will & can keep ahead for near 100mts πŸ˜€. 

My 250 is now a 268, kitted with Malossi cylinder and head, and IS bloody quick. I test all my mods on a long steep hill on the M1 motorway near Mt.Colah, and standard my scooter would come over the top at 95 kph. It now regularly comes over the top at 115-120 kph. The Malossi cylinder and head is the one mod that really makes a difference to a GTS. If I upgraded to a 300, I would immediately want to fit the same kit to it (with the 282 cc barrel , of course). 

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au