Scooter
Community

What constitutes a Maxi Scooter

Last post 08-23-2015 12:26 PM by jpfvita. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-12-2015 03:44 PM

What constitutes a Maxi Scooter

Is a 300cc Vespa a maxi scooter--where do we start 300cc 400cc,500ccand surely everything over 500cc is a maxi

We have a 80  year old member on a Honda 250 scooter  who I have followed at !30kph on the M1

Question would his Honda 250 be a maxi . 

riding for fun
  • 08-12-2015 06:20 PM In reply to

Re: What constitutes a Maxi Scooter

I don't think you are going to get a definitive answer on this one as I don't think there is one.

To me it would be a combo of all different bits and pieces.   Storage, capacity, weight, wheelbase.  But the lines are pretty blurred.  

Some might consider the Honda Forza a maxi as it's fairly large in body size and the storage is brilliant, more than my Tmax.   But its a 300. 

The Aprilia SRV850 is labelled as a maxi due to weight and capacity but in terms of storage, it has about as much as my Zip 50 had under the seat. 

With things like the Burgman 200 appearing on the market it's getting worse.  That's like a mini-maxi scoot. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-13-2015 07:49 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

I would say it's all about the bigness. For example, the Honda Forza 300 is a maxi, the Vespa 300 is not.

Bigness.

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 08-14-2015 10:49 PM In reply to

In 1986 to be called a maxi a scooter had to be 250 able to do freeway speeds and have storage THE HONDA HELIX

The spacy missed out because it didn't have storage

• 08-16-2015 07:50 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

From my view, a maxi scooter is one big enough to comfortably travel interstate.

That means highway cruising, storage capacity, comfort in most weather conditions and comfort with a passenger.

Most 250 scooters would not reach my requirements although the Yamaha Magesty gets close.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 08-16-2015 10:50 PM In reply to

That is the problem with scooters. What is modern, traditional, maxi, etc. Every definition has a long list of exceptions, so why bother trying to define them.

I find it hard to think of a BMW 650 as a scooter, but haven't a clue how to draw a line. 

Mike

• 08-17-2015 04:23 PM In reply to

Mike Holland:

That is the problem with scooters. What is modern, traditional, maxi, etc. Every definition has a long list of exceptions, so why bother trying to define them.

I find it hard to think of a BMW 650 as a scooter, but haven't a clue how to draw a line. 

Mike

I tend to agree with you there.  More and more scooters blur the lines so why bother. 

Funny you say that as I've had someone say the exact same thing to me.  However when I responded asking what they thought of the Burgman, that was definitely a scooter. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 08-18-2015 05:49 PM In reply to

INMA:

From my view, a maxi scooter is one big enough to comfortably travel interstate.

That means highway cruising, storage capacity, comfort in most weather conditions and comfort with a passenger.

Most 250 scooters would not reach my requirements although the Yamaha Magesty gets close.

Not much storage on a majesty, I had one once as a loaner when my bike was serviced and couldnt fit my full face lid or my jacket underseat.

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 08-22-2015 04:44 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

I agree with you, Mike, it's hard enough just to define a scooter. My definition would be 'open frame' ie no fuel tank or pretendy fuel tank between the knees.  I do realise that an LE Velo falls into this category, but what the heck - they were always known as "Noddy Bikes" when UK coppers rode them.

Maxi? Well what about a definition by wheelbase?

Sunny here today on the Central Tablelands. I think my GTS300 needs a rest from the CTEK charger . . .

The Red Menace
  • 08-23-2015 12:04 PM In reply to

Hmm, if it has room for a walking frame and a colostomy bag, you've got yourself a maxi! 

Bring on the haters!!  Devil

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 08-23-2015 12:26 PM In reply to

Lol as soon as I can think of something clever to say your on my hit list

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au