Scooter
Community

Bye HD200, hello PCX150!

Last post 04-22-2016 06:21 PM by awa355. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-15-2015 08:12 AM

Bye HD200, hello PCX150!

After four years of exemplary service and over 30,000kms, the time has come to retire my faithful SYM HD200. Mind you, it still goes just fine and starts the first time every time, but it is starting to look rather 'tired' and I think it is getting to the point where it will start costing me money to keep it going even as its value approaches zero, so it was time for a change. In these four years there were no problems, no issues. Burned light bulb, lost cap on the coolant reservoir causing the loss of coolant - that's about it. One change of belt, two sets of tires, one new battery... otherwise, just the regular maintenace.  Two negatives: service intervals were a bit more frequent than I liked at every 3,000kms, and the storage space under the seat just not big enough for my needs, barely able to squeeze in an open face helmet!

But on the whole, I was very happy with my HD. In these four years it had seen two other scoots come and go: Kymco Downtown making way for BV350, then BV350 sold after less than a year because, sadly, I needed the cash. I also sold my 'real' bike, CB600... while the SYM soldiered on. I actually seriously considered just getting another one, but in the end I decided to go with a Honda for three reasons: one, larger under-seat space. two, better dealer support (dealer within a walking distance), and three - price. And so, today I'm picking up my new Honda PCX150, in white. I took one for a spin around HART track a while ago so I know they go and turn pretty good, but will it match the reliability and durability of my SYM? Time will tell...

• 09-15-2015 02:50 PM In reply to

Re: Bye HD200, hello PCX150!

Congratulations mate

Ive said afew times that I think they are a great looking scooter.

What I'm wondering will it be enough for you. ?

Yes I'm talking performance 600, 350, 200cc will the little Honda. 150 do the job long term. ?  I hope so,  through this site I've learned you think about things you do alot more than me for instance.so I'm pretty sure you considered that before makeing the decision.

Good luck and many happy Ks

• 09-15-2015 06:29 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 294

Am a big fan of the HD though I don't own one, so will be interested to hear your comparisons & impressions over time. Wondering if you did much highway work on the HD?

• 09-15-2015 06:33 PM In reply to

I'd expect it to be more durable, 30000k's wouldn't be a blip on the Hondas radar.
    Curious as to your comparisons and differences between the two.
    The PCX is on my radar as well.

• 09-15-2015 06:40 PM In reply to

Thanks! Yes, it will be enough for me. I've had larger scooters and bikes, I'm not chasing more power. By the 'seat of the pants' measure this scoot goes about as well as the HD200, and that is fine for its intended purpose: commuting around the city areas. In this environment I am never looking for more power, just light weight, responsive handling, decent fuel economy and above all reliability, reliability and reliability! My scooters are tools for the job: what I need, not what I want. For that I had a bike and will hopefuly get another one when I can afford it. But even then I'm looking more at retro type bikes like Scrambler or W800, nothing especially powerful.

• 09-15-2015 06:59 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Good luck Ferrix.  Look forward to hearing your views on the new baby

Dave

The Red Menace
  • 09-21-2015 06:45 AM In reply to

Hi Ferrix

I know its still early but can you tell us what you think of the PCX so far. ?

Does it compare well to the SYM. ? I'm pretty sure theres really only around 20cc difference in motor size so the real test will be in the handling and get out of trouble punch if you should need it.

Im also interested in how much protection you get from the rain

I love rideing but still hate the rain.

• 09-21-2015 08:58 AM In reply to

jpfvita:

Hi Ferrix

I know its still early but can you tell us what you think of the PCX so far. ?

Does it compare well to the SYM. ? I'm pretty sure theres really only around 20cc difference in motor size so the real test will be in the handling and get out of trouble punch if you should need it.

Im also interested in how much protection you get from the rain

I love rideing but still hate the rain.

Hi, the weather wasn't great so I didn't do much riding - only got something like 80kms so far. These days I avoid riding in the rain if I can, so I couldn't tell you anything about rain protection yet. Compared with SYM, there really isn't much to it - they are very similar both in power (yes, only about 20cc difference in engine size) and in handling as they are both larger wheel scoots. Honda is a little bit smoother and quieter, but it's not like HD200 was vibey and loud. You sit closer to the ground on the Honda so that could be an advantage for shorter people.

I took it up to indicated 90km/hr briefly, to no great surprise scoot managed this just fine and felt stable at that speed. More interesting to me are the lower speeds - in particular, Honda's idle stop system as that's the first time I have this feature, either on a bike or a car. I'm not sure yet whether I will use it regularly or not. On one hand, it does work very well. Honda put some effort into it and used some clever tricks so the engine comes to life really quickly and smoothly, there's none of that usual starter motor whirl - the engine just starts when you touch the throttle, like magic! The system is clever enough not to engage until the engine reaches the optimal operating temperature and in any case, you can turn it on and off with a switch. But I am still not convinced it is worth it, I have this sneaking suspicion that what it saves on fuel it will more than make up in chewing through battery/starters... I need to do some research on this, this system has been around for a couple of years now so there should be some useful feedback from the owners out there. I think I might use it some of the time, perhaps on the hot days for example...

• 09-21-2015 07:30 PM In reply to

I suspect the idle stop feature is as much about emissions as it is about economy,I'm curious about your thoughts on it once you've had it for a few k's,not so much of a big deal for me as my use is more suburban rather than city, so lights are less of an issue.
    If I remember correctly the the PCX doesn't have the traditional starter motor set up,instead using the alternator in some way?

• 09-26-2015 12:53 PM In reply to

Another new to me feature on this scoot is a display of average fuel consumption rate (measured from when trip meter was reset, I think) so I amuse myself playing the game of 'how low can it go?' At first it was around 2.4l/100kms but now with 200kms on the clock it says exactly 2.0l/100kms. Let's see if I can get it under 2...

• 09-26-2015 07:44 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 294

That's excellent consumption!!!!

ferrix:

Another new to me feature on this scoot is a display of average fuel consumption rate (measured from when trip meter was reset, I think) so I amuse myself playing the game of 'how low can it go?' At first it was around 2.4l/100kms but now with 200kms on the clock it says exactly 2.0l/100kms. Let's see if I can get it under 2...

• 09-26-2015 08:26 PM In reply to

Yep definitely not a drunk

• 09-29-2015 07:13 PM In reply to

Under 2.0L would be amazing.   Around town I can't get mine under 5.5L.....  I do ride in stop start traffic and give it a squirt away from most stops.  

When cruising I've seen it drop down to just over 4.0L.    I kinda wish I did more highway km's to see what it's true touring capabilities would be.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 09-30-2015 07:47 AM In reply to

HB-Zip50:

Under 2.0L would be amazing.   Around town I can't get mine under 5.5L.....  I do ride in stop start traffic and give it a squirt away from most stops.  

When cruising I've seen it drop down to just over 4.0L.    I kinda wish I did more highway km's to see what it's true touring capabilities would be.

My riding was almost all around the inner Sydney, with one trip to the slightly more open area when I could spend a couple of minutes sitting on steady-ish 80km/hr. That was what brought my fuel consumption from something like 2.3 to 2.0 even. But 5.5?!? You must really flog it and frankly even then I don't think it should go this high, I mean, 5.5l is what I used to get on my Kawasaki ER650! Do you think that's normal, maybe it would be worth it to have the mechanic look into it?

Edit: oh wait, you are talking about your T-Max, aren't you?

• 10-15-2015 10:22 AM In reply to

Well, I've gone through the second tank, and the first one filled by me: 304kms, 6.4 liters. So, just a touch over 2.1l/100... according to onboard computer, 2.0l which is pretty close. Not bad, but it looks like I won't be able to ever get it under 2.0 because I can't imagine babying this engine any more than I did on this tank!

Next milestone: the first service at 1,000kms... we'll see how much that sets me back.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au