Scooter
Community

Bit the bullet and bought a Burgman

Last post 09-14-2016 09:49 AM by Rod Fountain. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2015 11:09 PM

Bit the bullet and bought a Burgman

The big 650

Well actually not that big, feels marginally smaller than my Jetmax 250 but so much more comfortable and the power is wonderful.

Totally unblemished 2007 model but with only 11,000 klm on it and got it for similar money to all the older ones with 50,000+ klm on them.

Wife loves it, I did 400+klm on it yesterday and we both went out today and did another 350+ klm and its using 4.5 l/100.

110kph and its its puttering along at 4000rpm.

Pictures below

http://i.imgur.com/d0NaS3u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Jjo8e6.jpg

2014 CFMoto Jetmax 250. (sold)
    Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 10-11-2015 11:23 AM In reply to

• Eccles
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Lane Cove, Sydney
    • Posts 317

Re: Bit the bullet and bought a Burgman

Congratulations JN250 and well done on the tidy pick up. The big maxies are a top way to get out and about, great mix of comfort and performance. Big Smile

--------------------------------------------------
    Current Rides..
    14 BMW R1200RT LC
    16 BMW R1200R
  • 10-11-2015 12:31 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Big improvement on a Jetmax. The Burger is a quality piece of kit. I've always believed that a good 2nd hand bargain on a quality machine is the way to go. And your's isnt even run in, it'll keep going for years. Well done.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-11-2015 05:52 PM In reply to

• DaveO
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-13-2010
    • Cow Flat NSW
    • Posts 290

Excellent taste. I've always lusted after one of these since a test ride at the Ulysses AGM in Canberra a few years ago. BTW Klm is a Dutch airline. The abbreviation for kilometres is km. 

The Red Menace
  • 10-11-2015 08:13 PM In reply to

Thanks all, out again today, 200km before breakfast, fun fun fun, a couple of shock adjustments (setting 3) and the 2 up ride has improved markedly.

A minor seat modification, get out the welder and drop saw and make up a luggage rack with backrest, some reflective pin striping off of ebay and it'll be road trip time.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 10-11-2015 09:06 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

Are we talking the same JN250 who was tossing poop on people like me that said buying a low mileage Japanese scooter or bike in good condition. 

Now to see who is going to buy the Jetmax.

I am sure the Suzuki will give you and your wife great service for a very long time, they are an excellent ride and will still be excellent in 5 years.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 10-12-2015 05:56 AM In reply to

INMA:
    Are we talking the same JN250 who was tossing poop on people like me that said buying a low mileage Japanese scooter or bike in good condition. 
    A 650 is not a 250.

Like I said then, the Japanese scooters that were comparable to the jetmax in size and cc's and km were still double the money or more or if the same price then were 10 years old with 10x the km's on them so not really a comparison in my eyes so I was always going to choose the new jetmax over a noticably worn 250 majesty (about the only Japanese 250 of similar size/fit).

Today, the only 250cc Japanese scooter available is a Honda FES250 with 40,000 on the odo. It is considerably smaller in size than the jetmax so unsuitable and it is 2000 km away across 3 states so hardly a contender

If I could have found a 250cc Japanese scooter then of same dimensions (fit), cc's and with low klm in the same pricerange,  I would definately have bought it over the Jetmax, but I had about as much chance of that as riding a unicorn.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 10-12-2015 10:39 AM In reply to

• Elmaco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-24-2012
    • Posts 9

Welcome to the Burgman world. i did the same thing a few years ago bought a 2006 Burgman 650 with 6,000 kms and its been the best buy ! i also bought a 2006 Burgman 250 with 7,000 kms for my wife.  Both perform faultlessly and are very easy to maintain

2006 Burgman 650- heated grips, Givi top box and screen, Leo Vince exhaust
    2002 Peugeot Speedfight 100 WRC
  • 10-13-2015 08:41 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

The burger is a grand machine. In fact, later models with ABS can also represent good value used, when compared with other big maxis with ABS. A sadly underrated machine in Australia, except by scooterists who know better.

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 10-18-2015 01:02 PM In reply to

Nice pick up.
    Looking to replace a bike I have just sold,looking for something that my wife will be comfortable on and that I can enjoy riding when it is just me on my Pat malone.I have looked at Deauvilles but the luggage is not,to my mind particularly efficient,a TDM is in the running but at the moment something like a Wee-Strom is in the top 3,I like not being especially restricted to tar most of the modern roadbikes have fat tyres that don't do particularly well on gravel.
    And the Burgman raises it's head quite often as a baby Goldwing contender if the pillion in a million is comfortable on the Burg then the further afield we can go.
    If one came up at the right price and condition it would have to be in the running,just a little put off by the apparent complexity.
    Congrats hope you get many happy k's together.

• 10-19-2015 07:28 PM In reply to

Very nice pick up there JN.....   I pondered over a Burger when I was look.   Some good examples were available over here at the time, but the sheer size kept me away.  Having legs the size of tooth picks I found the Burger to be slightly too heavy.  I believe the gearbox adds substantial weight, much like the Honda 700.  

The power was certainly nice though and it certainly gets up and moves.  For now my TMax is doing it's job very nicely. 

You guys dont know how lucky you are to have better halves that enjoy the scooter.  Mine is still not a fan.  Does mean I get to have a lot of fun whilst riding solo though.  :-)

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 10-20-2015 06:56 PM In reply to

INMA:
    Now to see who is going to buy the Jetmax.

Got the same amount in cash today that I parted with a year ago when it had 11,000 klm less on it.

I am out of pocket $180 on the seat modification and some parts so I call that a good result.

Apparently I am taking the wife out for dinner.

Now a Burgman 650 owner

• 09-13-2016 03:08 PM In reply to

C F Moto now dropped there scooter range in Australia concentrating on ATVs & Motorbike's

• 09-14-2016 09:49 AM In reply to

Unless you have already done so --sign in to Burgman USA where the Burger riders of the world discuss various aspects of owning fixing and riding their machines -- It contains a wealth of knowledge about Burgmans and im sure you will be impressed

riding for fun
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au