Scooter
Community

Out with the old, in with the Blue!

Last post 04-29-2016 07:56 PM by aspro boy. 59 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2016 11:00 PM In reply to

Re: Out with the old, in with the Blue!

Hi Brad,

Many thanks for the paint colour hint. I will go to AutoOne and see if they have a touch up paint for that car.

I am not putting the 200 rack on  -  I have a carrier given toi me by a friend a couple of years ago. But I  will have to hunt down the fittings for installing the topbox on it. I have only done 140 kms so far, but my impression is that take-off is better, but overtaking acceleration at 80kph doesn't feel quite as good as the modded 250. Once it is run in I shall do a bit of fiddling, and I'm sure it will then go better than the 250 without needing a V4 cylinder and head.

Acceleration up to 100 kph (from PITS up to the first bend heading south) is much the same, but if the speedo is more accurate then it is actually doing better. I need a speedo check so that I know when I am exceeding the limits.

Mike

• 01-26-2016 02:19 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

You should be able to take it about 2.5mm past the 140 mark on the speedo & still have some throttle left , mine can cruise the Hume Hwy with 2 adults /luggage @ steady 130kph & dosen't feel stressed 😀

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 01-26-2016 04:36 PM In reply to

Well, I've done 150 km accelerating hard but varying the speed all the time. So I guess it is run in. Double demerits today, so some day in the very near furture I will take it onto the freeway (M1 motoway) and see what it can do. Once I have established that baseline, I will install a Polini variator, my air filter mod, a Malossi Lambda Emulator, and a larger injector, testing each in turn before doing the next. I expect the best return will be the variator, but I may have to tune the weights a bit. 

Yesterday I pulled the handlebars apart to get the steering straight and to fit some wiring there in preparation for the Audicator signal beeper. Today I fitted the Audicator and then took a ride up to Brooklyn (with a pit stop at PITS) and looked at pelicans there. A beautiful day for a beautiful ride on a beautiful scooter.

Mike

• 02-02-2016 01:03 PM In reply to

Congrats Mike on your new ride. Looks fantastic. You'll need to update your profile pic soon. :) Ride safe.

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 02-05-2016 09:18 PM In reply to

Progress report.

I have filled the holes in the front mudguard and painted the fillings to match. The Malossi rear shocks are installed as well as the burglar alarm and the Audicator turn signal beeper.

Have installed a slightly larger fuel injector, which should richen the mixture above 5500 rpm. Below that the Lambda Probe will adjust the mixture back to what it was. So I need the Malossi Lambda Emulator to richen the mixture below 5500 rpm, but the plugs on the one I have don't match. The new probe seems to be a two wire type where the old one was four wire. 

Yesterday I fitted a mono gel seat to allow me to sit a little further back on the saddle.

Haven't opened up the transmission yet, so I have yet to fit the Polini variator and Malossi clutch springs.

Still fiddling with suspension settings. I wish I could have transferred the Bitubo front shock, but it doesn't fit with the new front suspension design. A new Bitubo is expensive.

Yesterday I received a bracket for mounting the Brembo calipers, so that will happen soon.

I have yet to go searching for a matching spray paint to do the topbox, but at the moment I am enjoying the beauty of the scooter without a topbox.

In about another month I should have the scooter I want.

Mike

• 02-05-2016 10:16 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,037

Hehe the spark plug , if you've had it out then you have experienced getting that stupid bolt & bracket thing off in order to remove the plug lead 😬, if you haven't well you'll have fun , oh & make sure you've got a band aid or 2 at the ready & warn the neighbours if you're the type that gets a little verbal when extremely frustrated lol😀. How wil the Brembo's go with the ABS i wonder , guess you'll tell us soon ?.

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 02-09-2016 12:24 PM In reply to

Classy looking colour the blue.

I'm taking a red demo 300 for a test ride tomorrow in Newcastle and hopefully they will have the blue one newly in stock too.

My X7 and the GTS have the same motor so I'm looking forward to comparing the rest of the package.

Really excited + also looking forward to the 4 hr ride down Thunderbolts Way to get there too!

Honda Spacy - 54,000 kms
    Vespa 150 Super (for restoration)
    Daelim S1 - 640 kms
    Piaggio X7 - 27,000 kms
    Vespa GTS 300 - see how this goes
  • 02-09-2016 03:53 PM In reply to

WoW 8hr trip. you must be pretty keen on picking up one of those vespas

I don't. Care what people say 8hrs In the saddle is a full day. ! I hope you have fun. 

• 02-11-2016 01:18 PM In reply to

Yep I had great fun.

I could make out that I'm really tough and say I did do 8hrs in a day, but actually the reality was I stayed overnight with my brother in newcastle and rode home this morning, so the 8 hours was over 2 days (still technically 24 hrs though!)! Cool

My closest piaggio dealer was in Tamworth but they ripped me off on the X7s first service $$ so I never went back and now they seemed to have gone bust. Wonder why? Next closest dealer is at Coffs but I'd rather go the longer distance to catch up with my bro and that road is lotsa fun too.

Took a red GTS demo for a test ride & of course the differences to my X7 are substantial. Ive never ridden a modern verspa (I dont think a then new PX200 counts?, No?). Most of the differences are positive ones with only a couple of negatives. Cant seem to fit either of my helmets under the seat Sleep, the fuel tank is a bit smaller and the higher speed handling is definitely more agile?, nimble?, scary? Though no different to my ex-Spacy.

I really like the 'it feels like a classic but its it new' feeling about it. Great day in all, topped off with an excellent ride home up Thunderbolts Way this morning in the bright sunshine. Even managed to overtake a motorbike in the twisties! Scooter 1, Motorcycle scum 0. [Though he did get me back up the top, but I caught him just before Walcha so I'll call it a draw!]

Honda Spacy - 54,000 kms
    Vespa 150 Super (for restoration)
    Daelim S1 - 640 kms
    Piaggio X7 - 27,000 kms
    Vespa GTS 300 - see how this goes
  • 02-12-2016 06:22 PM In reply to

gaje48a:

higher speed handling is definitely more agile?, nimble?, scary? Though no different to my ex-Spacy.

Hmm... considering the difference in price between Spacy and GTS, I would hope it would be a bit different ...

• 02-12-2016 07:38 PM In reply to

LoL I suppose so

But a good spacy really is all of those things. 

• 02-23-2016 12:26 PM In reply to

I installed the Pollini variator with the same 12.5 gram rollers that I had in my kitted 250. Acceleration is terrific, but top speed slightly lower, and the engine is obviously revving too hard and needs heavier rollers. The original rollers were 14 grams.

So I have ordered some Malossi 20x17 13.5 gram rollers, a Pollini blue contra spring (I left my original one in the 250) and a Malossi torque converter. When I fit them I shall also fit the white Malossi clutch springs. That lot should sort out the transmission. 

The brakes have improved with use and bedding in, but I still plan to install the Brembo front calipers. I now have the correct Zelioni mounting bracket for it with the new suspension, so that is sorted.

Front suspension seems very hard on bumpy roads. I would like a softer front damper with slightly higher tyre pressure. Will have to save up for a Bitubo front shock. Maybe after I have sold the 250. 

I have replaced the saddle with the mono saddle. It has a hump further back, but it is higher, so there is little benefit with it. I plan to open up the rear half and shave down that hump, pulling the cover in further behind, much as I did to my GT200 saddle to make it flatter.

The scooter has now done over 800 km. After the 1000 km service (probably the only one I won't do myself), I shall play around with the Malossi Force Master, the PM tuning module, and the Malossi Lambda Emulator I have lying around, to see whether any of them make any difference. Only the Lambda Emulator worked on the 250, but it doesn't have the right connectors for the new GTS300, so some fiddling will be required. 

Mike

• 02-23-2016 01:00 PM In reply to

Sure sounds like the only thing you havent changed is the colour and the handlebars

riding for fun
  • 02-23-2016 03:50 PM In reply to

Well, I have straightened the handlebars and fitted a turn signal beeper inside them, added a chrome headlight surround, and replaced the mirrors and bar end weights. Isn't that enough?

I'll stick with the colour for now, but I have painted my crash helmet to match and have yet to paint my topbox to match. Does that count?

Mike

• 02-23-2016 04:11 PM In reply to

Nice one on the new scooter Mike Yes this will be a great reference port of call for anyone with a Vespa 300 and save them hours of searching for the best mods to do Big Smile

Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au