Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Honda Auto

Last post 06-22-2016 11:10 PM by INMA. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2016 12:42 AM

Honda Auto

Hi all

The Honda 700cc motorcycle the one thats auto they say it has a double clutch.

Does it have a auto gearbox like a car meaning it really changes gears or is it more like a CVT. ?

• 02-09-2016 01:55 AM In reply to

Re: Honda Auto

Honda DCT is a 6 speed gearbox not CVT  but to make it interesting some auto cars now have CVT transmission

click 

• 05-03-2016 12:14 PM In reply to

• shyted
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2012
    • Riverwood
    • Posts 91

Are you interested in buying 1? If so PM me

ex Honda Lead SCV100
    2005 Aprilia Sportcity 200
    Aprilia SR MAX 300
  • 05-03-2016 07:54 PM In reply to

Honda DCT works in a similar manner to an Automatic car (but not really) it has 6 definite gears. It's not like a CVT in that way.

It's actually got 2 clutches - one for the odd gears, one for the even gears, and the computer selects which clutch is in or out to send drive.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 05-03-2016 08:52 PM In reply to

• 06-10-2016 04:45 PM In reply to

Is it good for scooters and Bikes?  Or is it still to complicated and needs more work? 

'ive wondered from time to time why we don't have a real automatic gearbox in a bike, Scooter I guess it's been to big and heavy to make it practical. 

• 06-10-2016 05:11 PM In reply to

jpfvita:

Is it good for scooters and Bikes?  Or is it still to complicated and needs more work? 

'ive wondered from time to time why we don't have a real automatic gearbox in a bike, Scooter I guess it's been to big and heavy to make it practical. 

reviews I have read suggest that they work fairly well.  They do add weight though... you only have to sit on the Honda Integra and lean it slightly sideways to feel the weight compared to something like a TMax. 

Honda do offer up a number of Auto options right up to a 1200cc VFR from memory.  I don't there is the market for it.  Talk with most motorbike riders and they will say, half the fun is changing gears.. blah blah blah.  I'd never ride and auto... blah blah blah. 

It's something different.... Australian's don't cope so well with different.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-12-2016 07:45 PM In reply to

The Ford and VW Car DCT gearboxes aren't recommended. They're not reliable. 

I haven't heard much about the Honda DCT gearboxes for reliability... But I wouldn't touch a Honda car with a bargepole (and they use CVT auto gearboxes, not DCT)

The Honda bike DCT has gotta be better than the Auto Honda Prince rode in Purple Rain

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 06-13-2016 02:55 PM In reply to

wombat:

The Ford and VW Car DCT gearboxes aren't recommended. They're not reliable. 

I haven't heard much about the Honda DCT gearboxes for reliability... But I wouldn't touch a Honda car with a bargepole (and they use CVT auto gearboxes, not DCT)

They certainly aren't slowing down sales of VW if they are that bad.  Across Audi, VW and Skoda they are selling a bucket load. 

What's wrong with Honda cars?   Having owned three now I would happily recommend them to people if they wanted a reliable cheap to run car.  Granted CVT in any car is a little disappointing but Honda's in general are great.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 06-13-2016 04:14 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

My wife has a Honda Jazz with a multigear automatic transmission, which is proof I like Honda. When the time came to replace the Jazz, we looked at the current model Jazz with CVT and decided to keep the older Jazz. CVTs last about !50,000km before the variotor wears out and needs replacement. With a typical CVT repair costing $7k to $8k, that works out at expensive motoring.

I was also shopping for a heavier car to tow 1600kg, all the medium sized SUVs with CVTs can't tow serious loads.

The earlier cars with CVTs are quickly being retired due to the cost of repairing the transmissions.

I don't see CVTs as an issue on motorbikes because the loads and distances are modest, I'd buy an automatic bike if they were affordable to me.

Remember Hona had automatic bikes decades ago, search for CB750A and you will find a really cool bike.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-cb750a-hondamatic.aspx

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 06-13-2016 08:43 PM In reply to

Was watching a old music film clip the other day must have been in Amsterdam as nearly all the cars where DAF with cvt transmission . If i remember correctly in reverse speed was the same as forward speed

• 06-14-2016 10:51 AM In reply to

Was it DAF cars that Steven Segal drove in some of those bang bang shoot them dead movies where he would be in a car chase going the same speed in reverse as he was going forward --good watching --now altogether we shall sing "Im walking backwards for Xmas --treied walking forward --but everyone said -- just another publicity stunt "

riding for fun
  • 06-14-2016 03:21 PM In reply to

INMA:

My wife has a Honda Jazz with a multigear automatic transmission, which is proof I like Honda. When the time came to replace the Jazz, we looked at the current model Jazz with CVT and decided to keep the older Jazz. CVTs last about !50,000km before the variotor wears out and needs replacement. With a typical CVT repair costing $7k to $8k, that works out at expensive motoring.

I was also shopping for a heavier car to tow 1600kg, all the medium sized SUVs with CVTs can't tow serious loads.

The earlier cars with CVTs are quickly being retired due to the cost of repairing the transmissions.

The reports I have read on my Jeep with CVT suggest it will last for a heck of a lot longer than 50,000km (maybe that's a Honda thing).  Some of the US forums report over 100,000 miles on the original cvt when properly maintained.  I've been quite happy with it to be honest.   It's smooth, quiet and does exactly what I want it to do.  We're 60k km on the clock and no issues. 

CVT's seem to have gained popularity over the past few years with companies like Honda, Nissan, Suzuki all adopting them in their cars.  In Aus and the amount of KM's we cover as an average I would think it would be too costly to have gearboxes failing all over the place for car companies.  The bad publicity in itself would be terrible.

• 06-14-2016 04:15 PM In reply to

Planned Obsolescence - The car lasts 150-180 thousand k's and then it's a junker - Soon enough there won't be any cars older than 10-15 years on the roads.

• 06-17-2016 12:14 PM In reply to

wombat:

Planned Obsolescence - The car lasts 150-180 thousand k's and then it's a junker - Soon enough there won't be any cars older than 10-15 years on the roads.

True.  I hate the fact that P.O is a thing.  What happened to making quality items that lasted?    My parents fridge is 35 years old.  Works great and never skipped a beat.   Mine died after 4 years.   Laptops these days last maybe 2 to 3 years before they start to clog and slow.  Phones...last just shy of two years as most companies allow you to upgrade after 18 months. 

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au