Scooter
Community

Scraping/grinding sound sym vs150

Last post 03-25-2016 08:33 AM by wombat. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2016 10:09 PM

• colwynt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2012
    • Canberra
    • Posts 18

Scraping/grinding sound sym vs150

I got a new sym vs150 about 4.5 years ago and have had it serviced regularly to maintain warranty. I have recently decided to take over maintenance of it since the price of the last service I found off putting.

Recently the scooter has developed a scraping/grinding sound whilst moving with a bit of speed. The internet research I have done suggests that the drive belt might be scraping against something. Any other suggestions? If it is the drive belt is it likely that I should replace it or are there adjustments that could get rid of the problem? Does this sound suggest some urgency in fixing it, or is it something that just needs to be tolerated and fixed when I get time?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

• 03-17-2016 08:46 AM In reply to

Re: Scraping/grinding sound sym vs150

How many k's ?
    May be completely unrelated but brake pads can have a warning sound when you get down to the wear limits? especially if you have a mildly sticking piston.

• 03-17-2016 04:59 PM In reply to

• colwynt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2012
    • Canberra
    • Posts 18

It's on about 23.5 k so could be the brake pads. I'll check them. Thanks

• 03-17-2016 06:58 PM In reply to

With the Mighty VS on the centre stand, does it grind while you turn the back wheel by hand?

If it does, I suggest it's the rear wheel bearing.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 03-17-2016 09:05 PM In reply to

• colwynt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2012
    • Canberra
    • Posts 18

It seems to only be at higher speeds and certainly does it when it is on the centre stand and I rev it a bit to get the back wheel spinning. I'll try spinning by hand tomorrow, but bearings sound like something else to check.

What's involved in checking the bearings. Do I have to remove the back wheel etc?

Thanks

• 03-20-2016 12:10 PM In reply to

• colwynt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2012
    • Canberra
    • Posts 18

Took it to Nico at Motorini here in Canberra, fearing the worst. He immediately suggested brake pads but after spinning the wheel by hand rejected that. Then he started the engine and listened for a minute before unbolting the heat shield of the exhaust and isolating the problem - a worn ceramic washer on one of the bolts, which was also bent. Took him 2 minutes to figure out what I had been puzzling over for a couple of weeks.

• 03-20-2016 05:03 PM In reply to

Well at least you appear to have access to a genuinely professional mechanic,congratulations! they rank not much lower in rarity than an honest politician.
    No offense to those who may genuinely be professional mechanics it's just that your hard to find no matter what vehicle specialty.

• 03-21-2016 09:41 AM In reply to

Thats great news I bet you feel alot better now than you have been.

• 03-25-2016 08:33 AM In reply to

Got to love a good mechanic. Glad you got it sorted.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au