Scooter
Community

Honda NH80 restore- carb/pipe

Last post 05-17-2016 10:48 PM by INMA. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2016 01:21 PM

• nixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2012
    • Posts 4

Honda NH80 restore- carb/pipe

hey people

Well, already own 3 other bikes, 900, 750 and a 250..but ive always had a soft spot for 2 stroke scooters so when I came across a 87 in decent nick i thought i could make a little space.

Getting ready to fire it up, cleaned oil/fuel tanks, airfilter was dust etc.

If it runs good enough, great..but does anyone have experiance on carbs or pipes for these? stock is a tiny 16mm carb..80 dirt bikes are 24mm.

Not looking for huge gains..just flow the lil 80 better

im in melbourne FWIW

• 05-17-2016 08:55 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Re: Honda NH80 restore- carb/pipe

There is not much you can do with the NH80 honda. The NH125 is a much nicer machine with its extra power.

That model Honda was never raced so there is not much data on getting more power or tuning the transmission.

All automatic scooter modifications start with tuning the transmission to get the most from the engine, then work on the engine is possible.

Stupid registration costs in Victoria make the value of running an 80cc scooter a very expensive exersize for not much performance.

Just a bigger carby on a NH80 would not make more power because the porting and exhaust are big restrictors. The trick tuning two strokes is building an engine with a higher speed powerband and tuning the transmission to keep the engine working in that powerband.

If you could buy the bits for more power and transmission control, it costsfrom $500 to $2000 depending on your skill level. If you are registering the scooter, its cheaper to buy something like a second hand stock Yamaha 250 which is better and similar cost.

I'm in Melbourne and would be happy to talk more on my development of my Zuma which was built for giggles.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 05-17-2016 08:56 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Forgot to mention you may be able to use club registration.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 05-17-2016 09:21 PM In reply to

• nixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2012
    • Posts 4

Appreciate the input. agree the pipe is where biggest gains may found.

wow a lot more $$$ than i figured

maybe a cr80 etc pipe? they go hard!

re transmission, do you mean different weight rollers? 

well got it running easily, idles nice. all lights etc work. 

noticed the oil pump cable snapped so ran 25 - 1 premix till get new cable

ill get a new tyre and see how it goes. If it goes 70 ill be impressed

• 05-17-2016 09:56 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

It will do 70.

Variator weights adjust the engine speed governed by the transmission. My variator is different, the weights don't slide and there is no cam profiles to wear, so the speed control is a lot better than other variators.

The centrifical clutch engagement speed allows the engine to disengage at idle then rev up to the powerband slipping the clutch so the engine power is enough to move the scooter until the scooter is rolling and the clutch locks.

The torque driver that slows the engine speed at low loads and lets the engine rev at high loads.

The variator cam profile that controls engine speed as road speed changes.

Lots of adjustments to change the characteristics of the transmission to suit the scooter and engine.

• 05-17-2016 10:17 PM In reply to

• nixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2012
    • Posts 4

thanks! 

good to be aware.

i  maybe competely fine with how fast/slow it is. i do have a 750/900 for longer high speed trips

but if i do want to tune/ improve do you recommend any scoot/2 stroke gurus in melbourne?

ive heard of scooterlabs but thats it

• 05-17-2016 10:19 PM In reply to

• nixon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2012
    • Posts 4

how does your zuma go? its a 68cc? sounds like fun

• 05-17-2016 10:37 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

My ride to work was a Kawasaki ER5 until a car banged us up. My shoulder can't take the motorbike anymore so the lighter scooter gets me to work. The Zuma is a fat wheeled scooter that handles better than skinny tyres.

The simplest way to get a cheap performance scooter is to start with a model that has been raced in Europe because there will be a selection of good parts at value prices. Yamaha and Aprilia watercooled models are the best place to start if you must play with a scooter.

Compared to any motorbikes, scooters are sedate, I built mine cheap to get to work. I'd ride my son's Kawasaki 250 but I don't have the strength.

i

• 05-17-2016 10:48 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Forgot to say the 68cc keeps up with traffic with a practical cruise speed of 60 to 70 km/hr along Beach Road. The transmission is tuned so I can go flatout and it remains smooth and safe.

It has spat me off in front of the house starting cold and the transmission belt slipped, the engine hit the powerband, front wheel up and dropped on its side with me feeling like an idiot. Its got enough power to do wheelies etc. but the clutch is adjusted to keep the engine off the powerband till about 30km/hr.

Top speed is unknown, I've seen 10,500 rpm uphill which is 90km/hr still accelerating but the engine is really limited to 9000 rpm. If you pay the bills and can live with replacing pistons regularly, then higher RPMs can be set in the transmission but the power has a price.

Its basically cheap transport (fun)for a old biker.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au