Scooter
Community

Operating Temperatures

Last post 12-17-2016 11:00 PM by aspro boy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-13-2016 08:21 PM

Operating Temperatures

Tomorrow is predicted to be 38 degress in Sydney. I remain concerned about running a small air cooled engine (Honda Dio), which is enclosed, in these conditions. Sitting in any traffic over tarmac will see considerably high temperatures with no airflow passing over the unit. Any thoughts. Could you compromise the engine short or long term?

• 12-13-2016 09:51 PM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Posts 256

Re: Operating Temperatures

When I rode a Postie in 50C temps for 10 hours/day for several weeks across WA and NT during the Wet season, it gobbled through motor oil at twice its normal rate, but otherwise I had no issues. So in my experience, oil level is really the thing to worry about/watch.

• 12-13-2016 09:54 PM In reply to

IMHO it will be fine also doesn't it have forced air cooling maybe using synthetic oil may possibly be better as i believe it can stand higher temperatures before breaking down . Does your owners manual say anything about operating scooter in extreme conditions

Maybe get some water cooling for tha sen Stick out tongue

Image result for water evaporation vest

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-14-2016 05:00 PM In reply to

I am reminded now about forced air cooling, so thanks. I need to understand how that works. And yes, more frequent oil level checks under these operating conditions is a good idea. This scoot is promoted as a world model, so you would think they would have it sorted. Some SE Asia countries in to which it is sold would experience consistantly warm tropical temperatures. I'll go back to the manual as you suggest, which is always a good idea.

Under warranty it runs the oil installed by the Honda dealer after a first service. You would expect that they would not compromise recommendation. Although when i asked whether the valve clearance was within tolerance or required some adjustment I received some washed out answer; 'We tightened everything'.

At 1500ks everything is just on seated; tyres, engine etc. The little thing is 'whistling', and I want to keep it that way. Even removing the detatchable top box minimizes air disturbance, particularly on a windy day, and aids incremental performance. It is a little motor after all.

• 12-17-2016 09:49 AM In reply to

I personally would never buy a bike scooter that was not water cooled

Having experienced in my short time as a rider temps of up to 46Cdeg  I would be worried sick if it was only air cooled

And with water cooling --a slug of whisky never goes astray, even better with some ice cubes

riding for fun
  • 12-17-2016 04:11 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

A standard Honda is designed to operate in hot conditions. The aircooling means Honda have tuned your engine with low power to cope with things like hot days.

One thing I do is slow down and avoid sustained high speeds on days when the heat is severe, just because the engine can do it does not mean we should do it. Backing off from 60 km/hr to 50 km/hr avoids spikes in temperatures in the engine.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 12-17-2016 11:00 PM In reply to

There is nothing in the owners manual that alludes to ambient operating conditions. I agree with you that they would have the design optimized for these situations. Premium recommened oil is pivotal here. Honda HP4 semi synthetic appears as a best choice, no doubt specifically developed for their small air cooled engines. I need to check.That's what I read into it. Fortunately I do not have to sit in sustained creeping traffic on hot summer days.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au