Scooter
Community

Bigger is not always better

Last post 05-12-2017 08:33 PM by chicaboo. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2017 10:42 AM

Bigger is not always better

Having only ridden for the last 11 years and having seen riders on all size scooters ,Ihave come to the conclusion that a 300cc scooter should do just about anything an Australian rider should need or desire

You dont need more power than 300 cc whether you are a big guy like me or a skinny or medium type and most 300 cc scoots will accomodate a tall 6ft2in or shorter person plus also provide a reasonable degree of carrying space under the seat

The 500 and 600 scooters may provide greater results if you are planning on going to perth from sydney but they really dont cut it when manoevering around the back streets of bondi or other suburban locations

I currently ride a 400 and it is a great scooter and I really dont need anything more regardless of where I want to ride -sometimes I hanker for something smaller when riding in traffic or back streets but not too much smaller

300cc in my books would be the ultimate size for all my requirements --what do others think ?????

riding for fun
  • 02-26-2017 01:00 PM In reply to

Re: Bigger is not always better

Yep 300 to 400 is a good compromise for weight and power  and do most legal stuff Wink in thee old days middleweight 350 cc motorbikes were very popular with a lot of motorcyclists Smile . I also liked the 175cc engines as a good compromise in the lightweight 98 to 250 class of machines

Image result for bsa 350 scooter

1920s  non production Avro Mobile 350

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-26-2017 04:40 PM In reply to

Yep, i'll mostly agree with that Rod. I owned quite a few large capacity bikes in my younger days, but there was less traffic and regulation. Also, larger capacity bikes back then did not appear as physically imposing as comparable bikes today.

One of my smaller bikes remembered with great favour was a Honda CB 400 Four (blue). I loved this little bike for the vesatility that it offered; remembered as being a smaller unit than the current Honda 400/4, which is not a bad looking bike in a traditional naked bike way (I owned a 350 four also -green- but it was a feeble cousin compared to the 400).

I pulled up in the back of busy Bondi late one arvo last week on my Dio. When I returned, there was a Majesty 400 parked alongside. The Majesty looked like a bus next to the Dio and I thought for real metro work even this scooter had limitations.

Weight also becomes an issue - in congested situations - when you get older. I looked at the specs on the 2017 Burger 400, but kg weight was over 200. Sure the weight is down low, but that does not offer a compromise for every requirement. The 102kg of the Dio has me hooked on metro nibleness. My 69kg rider weight is a measurable factor.

Ideally I want a Vespa GTS 300FL. And that's where it all started for me (the FL wasn't available back then). Good for town and burbs duties and for the odd occasions I could get out of town, maybe a bit of credit card touring (but this assumes that I would keep the Dio also).

So my point is, like you Rod, I think a good 3-400cc machine, on well considered roads, is going to put you in the frame.

• 03-02-2017 07:57 PM In reply to

Rod Fountain:

300cc in my books would be the ultimate size for all my requirements --what do others think ?????

I'd suggest only you have a real idea about what your requirements may be.

Some of us may wish to carry a pillion with enough gear for a week of camping or just enjoy the feel of a large understressed motor and the comfort of a seat that carries a little more padding for that luxurious feel.
    Personally I can't ever see myself on a Harley but my wife and I could cruise along quite comfortably on a 650 Burgman.......different strokes and all that.
    The idea that there is only one way to accomplish something is rather......bland.

• 03-06-2017 10:06 PM In reply to

.... I like that word .... bland, appropriate in this instance, but not when I'm shouting myself a meal out.

• 03-08-2017 09:04 AM In reply to

Ive been riding scooters for maybe 15 years. My Spacy 250 did 45000 km, my X7 with the 278 Vespa engine did 30000 km and my new mid blue 300 Vespa has done 10000 km in 12 months and all of these 250/300 scooters have served my needs almost ideally.

My type of riding includes commuting, long distance highway touring (2 x 850 km days back to back coming home from the National Scooter Rally last year on the Vespa), dirt road touring (Geographical Centre of NSW on the Spacy was fun), half day trips to the cafe, day trips to the coast to visit family (500kms return) via the Oxley Hwy, hauling camping gear into national parks and also as a shopping trolley. All this I do solo as my wife is not interested in being a pillion. I have found that 250/300 sized scooters are big enough to do the long haul but nimble enough to do the commute too, so I Iove this size scooter. If I had to regularly take a passenger I would feel more comfortable with the 400 to 650cc scoots but I would certainly miss the nimbleness in town. But for my needs THE perfect size is a 350cc engine in the body of a Vespa.

Honda Spacy - 54,000 kms
    Vespa 150 Super (for restoration)
    Daelim S1 - 640 kms
    Piaggio X7 - 27,000 kms
    Vespa GTS 300 - see how this goes
  • 03-15-2017 10:23 AM In reply to

• Bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2013
    • Morisset, NSW
    • Posts 14

And this is why we have such diversity in our bikes; we all have different requirements.

5 years ago, I got back into bikes with a Vespa 200GT. I loved it, and it would do most things I wanted from it, but as I live away from Bondi or any real suburban environment, it felt in need of a bit more when I went out on the freeway. 

Now I have a Piaggio 400 and to be fair, the new 350s(320?) have much the same power and performance, without the same size. I find the 400 fun around my semi rural suburban haunt and great fun on the freeway and I find the comfort created by its size almost perfect. In truth, I am hanging out to see the new Kymco AK550 as I think it might be an even better package for where I am and what I do.

Whilst the discussion point on optimum size is always a good one, I do not believe in a one size fits all type of world.

Viva la difference!

Bilbo

KYMCO Downtown 350
    Piaggio XEvo
    Vespa 200GT
  • 03-15-2017 02:41 PM In reply to

It is great to hear the values of others. When I trawl through the web seeking information, I frequently find ScooterCommunity commentary from years past. This allows me to appreciate how active this site once was.

Not knowing anything about the Piaggio 400, you have invited me to investigate. A good thing. I see that it is a true 400, which is refreshing.

I know that some folk might find it difficult to appreciate that someone who once owned some of the most iconic superbikes in their day, and modified to boot, could derive so much pleasure from a stock 108cc (Dio) machine. But I am hunting to find any local speed zones in excess of 60 or 70kph, for which this compact scooter is a lizard.

If you did not mind the weight, I feel that the new Burgman 400 could be a corker. I don't now see myself realistically with anything larger than a Vespa 300  ..... thanks for the contribution.

• 03-15-2017 05:37 PM In reply to

aspro boy:

It is great to hear the values of others. When I trawl through the web seeking information, I frequently find ScooterCommunity commentary from years past. This allows me to appreciate how active this site once was.

Not knowing anything about the Piaggio 400, you have invited me to investigate. A good thing. I see that it is a true 400, which is refreshing.

I know that some folk might find it difficult to appreciate that someone who once owned some of the most iconic superbikes in their day, and modified to boot, could derive so much pleasure from a stock 108cc (Dio) machine. But I am hunting to find any local speed zones in excess of 60 or 70kph, for which this compact scooter is a lizard.

If you did not mind the weight, I feel that the new Burgman 400 could be a corker. I don't now see myself realistically with anything larger than a Vespa 300  ..... thanks for the contribution.

Devil Wait till they manage to shoehorn  the 350 engine into GTS frame Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 03-20-2017 10:16 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Bigger may not always be better but its lots of fun playing with more powerful motorbikes.

I downsized from a 500cc  kawasaki to a 50cc Yamaha after a car ended the bike and my ability to handle the loads of the big bike.

It all depends on what you do for transport and where you need to go.

Never discount the fun wringing the power out of a big bike.

I still don't get Harleys or their riders. In standard form, they are no faster than my old 500 and in hotted up form, the noise would drive me crazy.

Ever watched a Harleyat a roundabout, the scraping foot plates and exhausts are like fingernails on a blackboard, and that is at modest speeds.

So to me big was fun, but I donot get very big.

Notice, I don't differentiate between scooters and motorbikes. I had a good friend who rode a Suziki 650 scooter who would get riders on sports bikes wondering about the scooter's secrets. He was just a fantastic rider.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-08-2017 02:40 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 117

One of my smaller bikes remembered with great favour was a Honda CB 400 Four

Really nice bike! I had a Kawasaki 500Z for a few years. Like all the really good bikes one has owned - "Why did I ever sell it?" Well I sold it to buy a Yamaha XT600 trail bike which was also one of the best "road" bikes I have ever owned. My other favourite was a beautiful irradecent blue Kawasaki VN900 Custom cruiser.

Now I would love to trade my Honda NSS300 Forza on a Vespa 300 but sadly can no longer afford it.

Nice to reminise!

Regards,
    Peter 

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 04-08-2017 09:44 PM In reply to

A Vespa 300 you say. Me too. I tyre kick a lot of bikes and scooters, but that's because I have always enjoyed two wheels. A Vespa 300 would be, realistically, the only practical purchase for me now. Living on the city fringe can have benefits, but can be a complete pain to exit the city to where riding might be really enjoyed. I started to loath grinding back into the city traffic and shabby air quality after long day runs.The Vespa 300 would work comfortably around these parts, then when I wanted to do a scooter ride day with others, it would be in the hunt. Also capable of doing a bit of credit card touring. But they are serious money, comparatively. And I would want to keep the Dio. Seriously.

• 04-08-2017 10:26 PM In reply to

aspro boy:

A Vespa 300 you say. Me too. I tyre kick a lot of bikes and scooters, but that's because I have always enjoyed two wheels. A Vespa 300 would be, realistically, the only practical purchase for me now. Living on the city fringe can have benefits, but can be a complete pain to exit the city to where riding might be really enjoyed. I started to loath grinding back into the city traffic and shabby air quality after long day runs.The Vespa 300 would work comfortably around these parts, then when I wanted to do a scooter ride day with others, it would be in the hunt. Also capable of doing a bit of credit card touring. But they are serious money, comparatively. And I would want to keep the Dio. Seriously.

Wink now you can have it all Stick out tongue youtube clip 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-12-2017 05:51 PM In reply to

• pja
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2009
    • Batemans Bay, NSW
    • Posts 117

aspro boy wrote: The Vespa 300 would work comfortably around these parts, then when I wanted to do a scooter ride day with others, it would be in the hunt. Also capable of doing a bit of credit card touring. But they are serious money, comparatively.

I have done many trips all over NSW and Victoria touring for up to five days on my Forza 300 and its absolutely no problems. Occasionally a bit more grunt would be nice. Several years ago I had a Honda SilverWing 600 scooter and that was a fabulous tourer but a bit big around town.

Vespa's are horendously expensive (nearly twice the price of a Forza) but they are cute. However, for the same price you can get some really good 500 - 750 cc motorcycles.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Anderson & Co.

"HE HAD offices in Sydney, not so many years ago,
    And his shingle bore the legend 'Peter Anderson and Co.',
    But his real name was Careless, as the fellows understood-
    And his relatives decided that he wasn't any good."
    Henry Lawson, August, 1895
  • 04-12-2017 08:30 PM In reply to

Thanks Peter for your feedback. I have tumbled back over many years from larger capacity motorbikes. You should never say never, but realistically don't see myself with another motorbike, even a mid size capacity unit. If I did, sentiment now would be for a Moto Guzzi V7111 - the Special or Anniversary model. This bike should be well sorted for someone with my intended use. 

The Forza does generally get good reviews, but it is a big unit for a 300 (or less) around town (these parts). The Guzzi nominated is no bigger than the Forza. Horendously expensive yes, but the Vespa 300 is a balanced size (for me) for inner city work and occassional forays outside the city.

But I remain open at this stage. I have the winter to look for a good deal. Thanks Pete.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au