Scooter
Community

Vespa PX 200E weaving...possible causes?

Last post 06-28-2017 05:55 PM by Cuttlefish. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-27-2017 05:23 PM

Vespa PX 200E weaving...possible causes?

A 1/2 dozen years ago I sold my px 200e. Needed the $s and my youngest was years away from being able to pillion on it with me. I was also miffed that Vespa had re-introduced the PX 150. One of the reasons (one of, not the only) that I bought the PX was because it was dis-continued and I wanted the iconic scoot to keep for years to come.

Anyway I've got over the indignation of the PX 150s becoming available and have placed a deposit on a 2006 PX with only 1550 kms in a nice glossy black with a tan seat.

Took it for a test ride and noticed it had a very pronounced weave going on in the 30-50 kph-ish range. Couldn't recall my PX doing that and rode for a bit until pulling into a servo to check the tyre pressures. One of the digital set the pressure pumps so don't know what pressures it had in it. The owners manual was in the glove box so checked it and put in 22 psi in the front and 28 in the back. Added a couple of psi since the tyres weren't cold.

The weave was less pronounced but still there. It has Mitas tyres on it so at least its not sporting the stockers after all these years. Got me wondering if they are tubed (standard) or not as the tubeless would be run at higher pressures.

A bit of searching offered up other possibilities: tyres on backwards, rims installed wrong side in to hub.

Any thoughts on the weaving?

Thanks.

Link to scoot.

http://www.teammoto.com.au/stock/details/?bike=2006_VESPA_PX200E&stock=253995 

"Vespista" is not actually Italian slang for a drunken Vespa rider.
  • 06-27-2017 06:35 PM In reply to

Re: Vespa PX 200E weaving...possible causes?

No topbox fitted ?

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-27-2017 07:05 PM In reply to

No top box.

Tyres are Mitas MC 18's which can be run tubed or tubeless. 

Actual bike is in link I posted.

• 06-27-2017 08:21 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

accident damage

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 06-27-2017 08:33 PM In reply to

That crossed my mind being a monocoque frame.

How do I establish if it has been crashed?

• 06-27-2017 10:15 PM In reply to

Straight edge or string touching along rear tyre edge and measuring gap from line to front tyre is equal on left and right hand side .  Are wheel bearings and steering head bearings OK

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-28-2017 05:39 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

My cousin had a Vespa that was damaged then repaired.

She found it handled differently and argued with the insurance company regarding the repair.

Eventually she traded it in to buy a new bigger vespa.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 06-28-2017 05:55 PM In reply to

Ok gents...just got back from the shop. There was a leak in the valve in the back tyre. It's shod with new Mitas M18's front and back.

When I put air in the tyres at the servo during the test ride I put 22 front and 28 rear with the BP servos digital air hose.

When they checked the pressure this morning the rear had 15 psi in it.

The salesperson reckons the Mitas has a recommended cold pressure of 35 psi front and rear (say what!).

So I rode the PX again this afternoon and it felt just like a normal PX...squirelly on its 10"ers but without the dodgey weave.

That's a relief!

Now hows about 35 psi cold for front and rear...? 

Mitas site says 2.5 bar (36 psi) maximum inflation...Oi vey!

http://www.mitas-moto.com/international/products/scooter-tyres/scooter-sport-tyres/mc-18/ 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au