Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Honda PCX 150

Last post 10-18-2017 10:15 PM by aspro boy. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2017 10:23 PM

Honda PCX 150

When the Honda scooter range go on sale next week (check last years dates) I'm wondering what additional considerations I might need to make in purchasing a new white PCX 150 - 10kw (plated 17) as a hobby scoot. I can't see a Euro 4 version in my search, or an ABS 150. And if there was an ABS version, would it make it's way to Aus? Not if the new Euro 4 - 10.8 kw SH 150 reflects a mindset.

The only Vespa I really want is the GTS 300, but do not see myself getting value from it, or wanting to park $10k on a scooter at the moment.

2017 Honda PCX 150 justification: 

Honda bikes have served me well, including pride of ownership; consistantly favourable reviews; storage; I can keep the Dio also, for simple duties, and if I choose later to sell either one it won't break the bank; if the humble Dio is a benchmark for quality at a price point, the PCX will satisfy my requirement for quality and reliability; a point of difference in the two scoots, one being traditional step-through, the other sci-fi other worldly, which I thought I would never go back too; it should sit comfortably in 80kph speed zones, lifting to 90kph on the odd occassions required, which is within my use requirements - I suspect windy days will challange it; Open to modest customizing due to the plethora of aftermarket bits available for this scoot. This should suit the hobbist in me and be within my abilities to fiddle, as I am not a techo, but enjoy the therapy personalizing my rides offers; last but most importantly, making it happen whilst I still have the ability to engage and enjoy what I have done consistantly all these years, being a rider.

So any inside information would be welcomed.

• 07-01-2017 09:07 PM In reply to

Re: Honda PCX 150

Honda PCX 150 @ $4790 ride away (NSW). What do you think Pyrah, I respect your advise?

After much soul searching over the last 8 months, this will possibly be my last hit out. Just trying to find something that will be rewarding, without overkill. Mark

• 07-02-2017 10:49 AM In reply to

• chicaboo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-26-2015
    • Logan.qld.au
    • Posts 30

Hey Mark,

The PCX 150 is probably the best scooter currently available on the market if you like modifying and tinkering. If you get one from new and do the hard run-in on mineral oil and switch to full synthetic at 1000km, with oil changes at 100km and 500km and regular changes after that, you'll make the best power out of the stock engine. I've ridden a stock PCX that's followed this formula and it felt stronger than my slightly modified PCX!

One thing I don't like about the PCX is the limited ground clearance to the centre stand, so you can't lean it over too far even though it has 14" wheels. I had an accident due to this and broke 3 ribs and hurt my back, and was out of action for 8 weeks. It's under-seat storage is OK unless you wear a L+ sized helmet. I also need to use mirror extenders for the mirrors to have any value to me.

The current model has fantastic LED lighting all round and a generous sized fuel tank, and the seat is OK for shorter riders. If you're over 5'10" you might want to buy a more comfortable seat from Thailand on the cheap. I don't use the idle stop function, but the current model has failsafes to prevent a flat battery, so that's up to you. The CBS brakes are adequate, but nothing flash, and ABS is not an option. You can easily upgrade to a larger rotor or braided lines, etc for better stopping power.

Would I buy another PCX 150 or upgrade to the current model? No. I would rather have 200 class with 16" wheels at minimum or even go as far as a T-MAX or C600. The sensible spend seems to be the Downtown 350i, but it does feel big and bulky after a PCX/Dio. I'm too big for the Forza, but it's OK for riders up to 5'10".

Cheers, Gav.

White 2012 Honda PCX 150:
    + Realize Blink s/s exhaust
    + Dr Pulley 11+13g sliders #SR2015
    + YSS G-Euro XL red shocks
    + 5W Cree projector position lights
    + Matte black meter panels
    - World Walk smoked long screen
    + Daytona reinforced CVT belt
    + PowerbyPCX Type1 carbon seat
    + K&N panel filter #HA-1213
    + MAX INC mirror extenders
    + MiniMoto 220mm Grom rotor
    - SSB 140CCA lithium battery #YTX5L-BS
    + White 14x1/2" rim stripes
    + WirusWin Hyper Valve PCV
    + NGK Iridium sparkplug #CPR7EAIX-9
    + Kitaco Digital Speedometer
    + Black adjustable brake levers
    + Kitaco Super Throttle Pipe
    + AEM Gauge-Type UEGO Controller #30-4100
    + CBR125R 31mm throttle body
    + CBR150R fuel injector #16450-KPP-T01
    + Yuminashi 31mm A-type intake manifold
    + Dobeck EJK Gen 3.5 #8110043
    + Yuminiashi big tube air intake
    + KN Planning Sports Clutch
    + Custom tarmac pinstriping...

+ Rothmans Honda livery
    + CM (Takegawa) 175cc Big Bore Kit
    + Yuminashi 62mm domed piston
    + Takegawa sports camshaft
    + Yuminashi 62mm 0.5mm copper gasket
  • 07-02-2017 01:02 PM In reply to

Thanks Gav for taking the time to inform me further. Some informative stuff. Wow, that long list of mods is way beyond anything that I was considering doing. Interpreting this, maybe the lean factor ground clearance will not be an issue for me generally. No mention of the tyres you run. Only 8 weeks for 3 broken ribs places you up there with my other hero's. I will investigate the clearance issue you mention, though. At my age it would take considerably longer than 8 weeks to mend following any incident.

I note yours is a 2012 model and there have been product enhancements since then. At 69kg and 5'10" it places just inside your comfort zone parameters for this scooter. As for a 200 class 16" wheel scooter they do not exist when you look past the fudged labels. I'm not looking for anything so big, or weighty. If so the new Burger 400 or XTown 300 look appealing. Even the new SH 150 is too big, imo, for my storage requirements.

Yes, the LED lighting is appealing. Things to think about. Thanks again. Mark

• 07-02-2017 02:04 PM In reply to

I've had PCX150 for something like a year (or it could be a bit more? time flies...) It's heading towards 10,000kms, zero issues so far. Mine is completely stock;  I don't play with it, I just commute on it. For that it works well. I've had larger capacity scoots before but I think this one is just the right size for the city - although  I would agree 200cc with larger wheels would be just fine, too (before PCX  I had onle like that: SYM HD200). On the open road it has no problem sitting on 90km/hr, perhaps it would do a little bit more if I asked but I don't see the need to push it like that.

• 07-02-2017 02:28 PM In reply to

Thanks, all really helpful stuff. The thing with the Honda, for me, is their tested reliability, so I don't intend to corrupt that with too much fiddle. If I wanted more performance overall, would just buy more cubes up front. The speeds you run your PCX Ferrix our similar to my operation projections.

The fiddle really imagined such things as Michelin City Grip tires, H2C replacement windshield, better adjustable levers and a small rack (no topbox).

Do you run the stock tires? If so, how have they performed? What year build is your PCX?

• 07-02-2017 02:47 PM In reply to

.... further, in consideration of the mileage done over a relatively short periond, do you have any seat comfort issues with the latest style seat?. How tall are you? I see that some folk rotate the handlebars for increased reach. I would prefer not to do this. I remember with my little Aprilia I would need to be selective about underwear wore as the ergonomics of the scoot were better suited, imo, to someone 5'8" or less. Short journeys only for me: ahhhh, relief.

• 07-02-2017 03:09 PM In reply to

If Yamaha brought the Nmax 155cc model in with abs then that would be the one imho . Otherwise the PCX 150 would be the one with adequate fuel tank and 14 inch wheels 2 year warranty. Negative if still applicable valve check every 4,000 ks Sad

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 07-02-2017 04:11 PM In reply to

• chicaboo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-26-2015
    • Logan.qld.au
    • Posts 30

Hey Mark,

The broken ribs were horrifying for about 3 weeks, and after 6 weeks I was back to cleaning the house while suffering back pain until 8 weeks had passed. Broken ribs hurt, but they hurt more when your humerus is shoved into them displacing your spine... Second worst pain I've ever experienced.

I forgot to mention that my PCX is happy up to 90kph. But it has done 115kph on the highway and 120kph down a bit of an hill with a tuck before I over-aspirated it with the intake mods. I'll get back that speed and then some when I install the BBK. But a current model stock PCX might do 110kph with someone your size, but will get knocked around by wind over 90kph depending on conditions.

Most of the changes to the current model from mine are cosmetic apart from the bigger fuel tank and LED lights. Mechanically they're still the same but with some minor refinements. My scooter still has its original IRC brand tyres, but they weren't what caused the accident. It was the limited ground clearance combined with an under-inflated rear tyre and the camber of the road angled up to greet me. Be very careful on roundabouts on hills!

The PCX is a great scooter, but I often wish I had an HD200 or Scarabeo, even if they're step-through design limits leg positioning. That is something the PCX offers in abundance - leg room. If the Forza wasn't so cosy I would seriously consider one. It's size isn't intimidating, but it still weighs more than a Downtown 350i, but without the bulk.

Gav.

+ Rothmans Honda livery
  • 07-02-2017 06:07 PM In reply to

aspro boy:

Do you run the stock tires? If so, how have they performed? What year build is your PCX?

Stock tires and both original; in terms of performance, "adequate" for my usually quite gentle riding style. In terms of durability, the rear is not going to last much longer and I plan to replace it soon after I hit 10,000 km mark. Front looks fine.

My machine is 2015 model, so it looks like I've had it for a bit longer than a year now :)

One more thing - as far as fuel consumption goes I get 2.0L/100 kms, consistently. With or without using engine start-stop; it really seems to make to measurable difference.

• 07-02-2017 07:00 PM In reply to

• chicaboo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-26-2015
    • Logan.qld.au
    • Posts 30

ferrix:

One more thing - as far as fuel consumption goes I get 2.0L/100 kms, consistently. With or without using engine start-stop; it really seems to make to measurable difference.

Are you taking that from the gauge or calculating it at the pump when you fill up?

I'm 6'2" and 118kg, so the best I've returned at the pump is 2.45L/100km.

+ Rothmans Honda livery
  • 07-02-2017 10:08 PM In reply to

Thank you gentlemen. I am torn between acting now or waiting to see what might pop up at the Sydney Motorcycle Show. Yep Pyrah, the short service intervals for the smaller two valve Honda motors are a phaf. Even the little Dio service comes around quickly. And it is not just the service cost, but each time they remove and intall panels for access creates wear n tear. I have attempted to view PCX 150 vs Nmax 155 comparisons, with the NMax a strong comeditor, ABS, stronger front forks, blue core motor, but the PCX is reported as being more comfortable. And Yamaha have a poor scooter presence generally here, with the nearest dealers a very congested trip from the city. Not a bad looker though for this style of scooter.

My light build allows me to max these smaller capacity scooters. I would love to live with the PCX 150 for a month, doing several 100 -120klm day trips to ascertain comfort. Do you think that there will be any scooter surprises at the SMS?

• 07-02-2017 11:33 PM In reply to

To my knowledge not much happening Yamaha X-Max 300 & Nmax 155 supposed to be already here plus Kymco AK550 at the end of year

Cover art

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 07-03-2017 08:11 AM In reply to

chicaboo:

ferrix:

Are you taking that from the gauge or calculating it at the pump when you fill up?

I'm 6'2" and 118kg, so the best I've returned at the pump is 2.45L/100km.

These days just from the gauge, but in the early days I did my own calculations and they agreed with the gauge to within 0.1L. I am a bit smaller than you though - 5'10" and 85kg.

• 07-03-2017 11:21 AM In reply to

Thanks Ferrix, at 5'10" it allows me to understand against the mileage you have done that the seat offers reasonable comfort for someone this size. Although saddle comfort is ultimately a relative thing. Interesting that most reviews for the PCX 150 delivered into the U.S. state there is a rev limiter that caps top speed at 63mph (101 kph), but the promoted top speed for this scoot is 70mph (112kph).

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au