Scooter
Community

Scooter Accident -- Advice Appreciated

Last post 11-05-2017 11:19 AM by INMA. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2017 01:51 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2013
    • Posts 15

Re: Scooter Accident -- Advice Appreciated

Thanks Pyrah.

I spoke to John at Show & Go and he advised trying Gumtree to see if anyone would buy the scooter for more the nominal salvage value he would be able to offer. Just in the process of setting that up now...

1994 Honda SR50 > 2008 TGB 303RS 125 > 2001 Yamaha Majesty 250
  • 08-09-2017 01:35 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2013
    • Posts 15

Well the scooter has been sold as a repairable write-off, a replacement scooter has been secured (2001 Yamaha Majesty 250), and third-party insurance has been purchased.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and assistance.

• 08-09-2017 04:54 PM In reply to

Good one all sorted out best wishes for the future with the Majesty was/is a good scooter Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-10-2017 12:31 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2013
    • Posts 15

Thanks Pyrah. I think it's fair to say I came out ahead from the crash. I'm very pleased with the Majesty so far, although it's a 2001 model it has only done 5700kms. The increased turning circle takes a bit of getting used to, and I haven't been game to lane filter on it yet, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

In case anyone finds it useful, of the insurers I compared AAMI came in well below the rest for their third-party property cover at $80/yr, although their comprehensive quote was more in line with other insurers.

• 08-10-2017 02:52 PM In reply to

Yep i'm with AAMI fully comp on a 2014 Yamaha SR400 was $221 for me Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-31-2017 06:22 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2013
    • Posts 15

Well, it happened again. This time I got a ride in the ambulance.

Riding 60km/h down the middle eastbound lane of a six lane road (three lanes each way). Two cars sitting in the divider waiting to do a u-turn. The first does so in front of me, safely. The second evidently doesn't see me coming and decides to follow. I slam on the brakes and the Majesty lowsides and skids down the road in front of me.

There was no collision with the u-turning vehicle. The driver stopped, offered assistance and remained with me until ambulance arrived, and gave me his insurance details. Two other cars travelling behind also stopped and gave me their details to serve as witnesses. Someone called police and ambulance.

First impression of scooter was damage to front and side plastics, nothing else obvious but I didn't exactly have time to give it a good look over before they carted me away in the ambulance.

Damage to me consists of mildly sore hip and very sore shoulder. Because I have full range of motion (albeit with pain) the doctors in ED think it is likely a muscular contusion, they didn't think it was worth x-raying and sent me home with some painkillers.

Was on my way to placement wearing helmet, riding jacket and gloves, ordinary pants and shoes. Scratches on the side of the helmet visor, tear in elbow covering of jacket. Left gloves and jacket in the scooter so haven't had the chance to look at them in more detail. Right shoe got pretty scuffed up and shoelaces disappeared, so lucky it was good quality footwear to start with. Usually wear riding boots but as mentioned was on my way to work.

My insurance only covers third-party damage and there was none (yay?). I called his insurer (RAA) and they said they can't do anything until the other driver lodges a claim. He says he is going to, but there was no collisoin or damage to his vehicle so not sure how much incentive he has or what my options are if he doesn't.

I'm frustrated at how this is going to affect my life, and although it's only early days I'm not feeling real positive about my future on two wheels.

• 11-04-2017 08:43 AM In reply to

So sorry to hear this news, especially so soon after the previous saga. Glad though that you weren't more seriously injured. Rest up and hope your recovery is smooth and as swift as possible.

Hope too the other driver follows through so that you can claim. Might also be worth ringing your insurer again and speaking to a different customer service person. You might get a slightly different response. Maybe with the other person's details and witnesses to support that it wasn't your fault, you may be able to get them to consider your claim.

I have been in one accident on my scoot a w couple years ago where a driver didn't see me coming and pulled out of his driveway right in front of me. No choice but to go straight into his front right wheel well. Thankfully had just enough time to slow down sufficient that I walked away with a written off scooter, but only a really sore knee and a headache.

At the time I wasn't 100% sure whether I would want to get free right back on another scooter, but it only took a few days for me to miss it and want to get a new scoot. Everyone's different and only you can decide about your riding future. Good luck. 

Ride safe.
    _________

Riding: Doc, a 2009 Derbi GP1 250
  • 11-04-2017 05:54 PM In reply to

• Lethe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-13-2013
    • Posts 15

Thanks for the reply jshowyin.

The other driver has lodged a claim and I am in communication with their insurance agency. I have claimed for both the damage to my scooter and replacement cost for my gear. I obtained a repair quote from Yamaha World which came out at twice the market value of the scooter, but they want to send an assessor out anyway, which seems a waste of time but whatever...

With regards to my transportation future, I'm trying to look at it as dispassionately as I can. At the first juncture it will depend on what the insurance agency does: if they repair it then I will have to keep riding as it's my only vehicle. I guess what's bothering me is that I don't really see what I can learn from these two accidents so as to prevent them from happening again. The only concrete conclusion I have come to is that if I do get another scooter, it will have to have ABS as that would probably have prevented this accident (where the scooter lowsided after I locked up the front wheel by grabbing the brake).

I'm not even sure what a good/preferred outcome looks like here. Even the ideal compensation figure I have in my head based upon Redbook value of the scooter + replacement cost of gear (and of course the insurer is unlikely to be so obliging) isn't going to allow me to get a new scooter with ABS, or a safe car. And if they repair it then I (1) don't have any transport for the interim and (2) still have an old, non-ABS scooter at the end of it. I've given some thought as to whether I could get by with a bicycle, maybe an e-bike...

And of course I've still got a sore shoulder (going to the GP tomorrow to get signed off so I can go back on placement aka unpaid work) and will get an ambulance bill at some point. The whole thing just makes me depressed.

• 11-05-2017 11:19 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 837

The abulance bill should be part of your claim on the other party.

The insurance assessor is going to negotiate a settlement for the damages.

The assessor will write the scooter off and won't offer repair. The next question is how much and whether you want the wreck.

If the scooter is rideable, you may want to take some money and keep the wreck so you can use the damaged scooter for a while.

If you do take the wreck, its best if the assessor does not declare it a writeoff. Eg you state you are getting it repaired with new and second hand parts by a dealer at your risk. After settlement with the insurance its best if the scooter is still registered and you can use it.

In Victoria, ambulance bills are paid for by our insurance that comes with the registration. You should sort that out incase yo need to claim with the assessor.

Most assessors just want a simple settlement and selling wrecks is a cost they prefer to avoid.

If the scooter damage is cosmetic, keeping it might make sense.

Any car is safer than a scooter, my son's Toyota ECHO has been a fantastic car and they last forever.

Better to buy a Japanese built ECHO than any of the Korean offerings that do not last forever.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au