Scooter
Community

A fly in the ointment

Last post 12-31-2017 10:27 AM by Rod Fountain. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2017 10:43 AM

A fly in the ointment

Having sold my lovely Burgman 400 and having bought a Mobility scooter to run down to the shops etc , I now find there is a Senator in Federal Parliament who wants to put restrictions on the use of mobility scooters 

Senator John Williams from northern NSW is proposing changes with the major change being the speed that mobility scooters go

Williams wife who runs a small paper at Bingara NSW stepped out of her office one day in 2016 and was hit by a scooter rider

Williams claimed his wife needed a new hip after the accident and the whole thing has cost him about $60000

So he gets up in Parliament and wants restrictions on weight of scooters --the speed they go at which is governed at MAX 6 & 12 kph and now the Senate (which we pay for )is doing an enquiry with submissions to be in by 13th March 2018

The whole matter stinks--who and how will they police and enforce rider speed 

Mobility scooters do not have speedometers 

Imagine cops pulling up poor old pensioner ladies because they are going TOO fast

What fines penalties will apply 

Finally dont these senators have bigger problems to sort out --Pass the chunder bucket

riding for fun
  • 12-25-2017 12:54 PM In reply to

Re: A fly in the ointment

No doubt his wife was looking at her mobile phone as she stepped out! She could just as easily have been knocked down by a jogger.

• 12-25-2017 04:19 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 841

There is a growing concern for pedestrians run down by scooters.

At the local shopping center, there are a few mobility scooter riders known to run into others and they get quite abusive towards people in their path.

The problem is some scooter riders are rude and abuse the privilage they have been given to run these vehicles on footpaths.

The new rules will be aimed at harm minimisation.

I agree we should not need these rules but its always the ratbags that ruin the situation.

My guess new scooters will be speed limited to whatever is ruled safe.

Don't blame the polititions, blame the demented old lady at our shops that runs down anyone unlucky enough to be at the ATMs. Or when she is stopped by a person before she colides with the ATM person, she backs up without checking and tries to ram the person stopping her. Then when her key is removed she claims assault and calls for the Police.I've seen it and heard about it, the Police must be annoyed.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 12-25-2017 08:06 PM In reply to

The whole thing is ridiculous, to be sure. Also, I think they are already speed-limited to barely walking speed, aren't they? The problem is, being hit with a solid metal object even at walking speed is going to hurt. Maybe they should install airbags - not for the rider but on the outside, instead of bumpers?

• 12-26-2017 10:45 AM In reply to

Inma --please take a ride on a mobility scooter into your nearest shopping precinct and just discover how bloody rude and not caring are pedestrians

They will walk --stop--walk in a criiked line --talk or listen on their phone or radio in fact half of them deserve to be hit by either a push bike rider or razor scooter rider or mobility scooter or even a segway

This Senator told me it cost him $60000 but I bet he didnt lose any pay -not only that medicare would have covered lots of his costs and how do we know his wife didnt need a new hip before the accident 

His protestations to parliament will upset many elderly disabled people who already are doing it tough 

If you have an old girl who acts like a bully on her scooteer dont think she has no cause to complain 

We pay these politicians to look after us and they are doing a pretty poor job at present and mobility scooters dont need their expensive time wasted trying to regulate them further .

I was doing my top speed this morning when a kid on a razor scooter and his mate on a push bike went flying past me on the footpath --What regulations are they under 

riding for fun
  • 12-30-2017 08:10 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 841

Rod, there are lots of rude people out there.

But people standing blocking the way of others are not dangerous just a nusance.

I'm the guy that asks the kid with the thousand dollar bike dropped at the shop entrance to move it. then if they don't, I do throwing it on the verandah roof. Or just stepping on it as I walk into the shop. Scate boards are pushed deep into the rubbish bin. And I tell people blocking the path to please move.

I don't drive into them with a scooter while they are at the ATM and the path is clear behind them. I don't park my scooter across half the shop entrance stopping women with pushers getting a clear way out. And if the path is blocked I don't push through bumping people with a vehicle.

Footpaths should be improved for disabled acess but unsafe behavior by disabled operators needs to be stopped.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 12-31-2017 10:27 AM In reply to

Inma -- I think Isaid it all in my last post "end of 2017 " 

Both you and your family and all the other scooter riders out there --- Have a bonzer 2018 with plenty of safe riding 

HAPPY NEW YEAR 

riding for fun
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au