Scooter
Community

Yamaha Tricity 155 - a story

Last post 04-05-2018 09:52 PM by aspro boy. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2018 10:06 PM

Yamaha Tricity 155 - a story

I'm a heads-up starter to buy one of these scoots. It's complicated. Well I am if you can actually feel supported buying this product. The presentation and demonstration set-up for the Yamaha Tricity 155 at the recent Sydney Motorcycle Show could seduce you to believe Yamaha had faith in capturing a market share with this uprated machine. But there the story (or support) seems to end. There seems little willingness for dearlers to hold them as stock. They'll order one with a deposit, though. And all dealships are a considerable distance from the inner urban jungle. Yamaha have not supplied a demonstrator, to anyone, either. None of this makes sense to me. I have never appreciated it can be so hard to spend money.

And the same equation could be applied to Yamahas other small capacity scoots: Delight 125, Nmax 155 (when it arrives). These scoots will also be marketed outside of their natural habitat. It is difficult to imagine any real sales numbers being generated.

The dealer at Kogarah won't get one in until they have shifted a Tricity 125, currently floor stock (I won't hold my breath). Next options are Paramatta, then Meadowbank, heading to Liverpool or Campbeltown. And I live at Bondi. Add to this short service intervals and it starts to stack as all too hard.

Shake a leg Yamaha. I did receieve a nice colour booklet with all 2018 models inclusive. Oink

• 01-31-2018 10:15 PM In reply to

Re: Yamaha Tricity 155 - a story

yes asps, i recall U saying that no-one near the east has one on the floor....crazy, IMHO.

And, yes, re the 125 at Kogarah. Unless it's mighty cheap, why would the punter not wait for the 155 ?

Similar but understandable here in Lithgow. I have talked Xmax 300 with the guys down the street who are happy to get one in...assuming I'm buying.

Mind U , with the Ag Bikes and B I G road bikes that seem to be the staple up here, I kinda get it unlike U , living in "Scooter Central", Sydney East...BUT NO YAMMIE DEALER NEAR U WILL SELL U A 155 SCOOTER!

Aprilia 200ie
  • 02-02-2018 08:34 AM In reply to

Yep, to me it is like wanting a fish meal, but by-passing the fish markets, heading down to hire a boat, then steaming out Sydney Heads 28k to the continental shelf to drop a line over the side hoping to catch something worthwhile. Would you? It appears they're not selling these scooters, you must go out and energetically buy one.

Sounds like you have settled comfortably in Lithgow MD. Good to hear from you. And I think your choice for the Yammie 300, for where you now live, a good one. What eventually happened to the Scarb? 

I hope others continue to post occassionally. There has been some meaningful and helpful information shared on this site.

Yes, I miss Pyrah as I am sure most of us do. But I also still miss Santa Claus, but Christmas goes on regardless.

• 02-04-2018 09:15 AM In reply to

Yeah, Yamaha Australia has never been very interested in their own scooter products. I believe that was always a bit of an issue with T-Max as well - getting one was one thing, finding someone at Yamaha knowledgeable and willing to service/repair it quite another.

It's a shame.

• 02-05-2018 07:21 AM In reply to

Thanks for the heads-up take on the Yamaha scooter story. It becomes self evident when you become involved. You wonder why they bother, then.

I haven't let go of the idea of the 155 Tricity just yet, but be buggered if I am going to let Yamaha make it hard for me.

• 03-03-2018 10:22 PM In reply to

Thursday week ago I jumped on the Rivercat ferry from the Quay, with my Brompton bike, to venture to Bikebiz at Parramatta. Bikebiz had/has the only Tricity 155 as stock for viewing. No test rides are available unless you commit to buying one? Come-on Yamaha Australia, get serious. The Cyber Blue rig had been sold, but I was only viewing/handling the bike for fit and weight characteristics. Following, I jumped on my Brompton and rode home along the riverfront wherever possible. What a great ride. What fantastic bicycle infrastructure since I was last out that way by bicycle. Came in over the Anzac Bridge.

Last Thursday I rode to Kogarah, my nearest Yammy dealer. The dealer, with whom had had previously been in contact, is attempting to source for me a decent demo ride on the Tricity 155. Thank you. Following, I jumped back on my bike and rode down to Sandringham, then swung north for home. I have needed to talk myself into the Cyber Blue, if I push the 'go button'.

• 03-08-2018 08:03 AM In reply to

I pushed to go button on a new Tricity 155 ABS - Cyber Blue (because colour choice is limited). No, I have not even ridden one, only man-handled it extensively. 

I have to thank members for their unwittinging assistance here: Pete Gailey, who gave a big thumbs up to the earliest 125, so I suspect he would be well pleased with the new 155; Eviladrian, who placed the Tricity 155 on his short list after testing this rig at the SMS; Tonyr, because he has emboldened my spirit to just do it, whilst time allows; every translatable associated web review. If it does not suit I will unload it and think about something else - before I run out of tarmac.

I purchased my Honda Dio, originally an interim purchase scooter, without have ridden it, on the strength of reviews by Allen and Pete Gailey. I have never regreted a day of ownereship; onya fellas. So the Dio will be tucked away at the back of the garage until ... ?

• 03-10-2018 08:28 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

Not a scooter on my list but really looking forward to posts from you & your experiences with this.Always great to get a new 'toy'!!

• 03-10-2018 09:31 PM In reply to

Thanks Gaz, it's nice to get a response. I'm taking a bit of a chance not having ridden this scooter. But I feel that you have to ride numerous scooters back to back to appreciate or nuiance their differences. My experience, after many motorbikes and a handful of scooters, is that you adaptively ride into their characteristics; you like something and make it fit - I'm not a racer but a rider. I will be brutally honest when I post a review. My concern is that the 'dance' that is enjoyed with traditional two wheel formats could be sanitized. But it is worth a fling. The more reviews that I am able to translate, the more confortable is my decision thus far. Yamaha - Revs Your Heart: Hmm, lets see.

It can't be overstated that for me, now, at this age, the safety features inherit with this design have tipped the scales in the direction of the Tricity 155 for the area in which I live.

• 03-11-2018 06:36 PM In reply to

• gaz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2009
    • Posts 322

Do you intend to keep the Dio or slowly build up a stable like Mr.Galey?

• 03-11-2018 10:31 PM In reply to

I had a 1000cc BMW motorbike, a Honda CH 250 Spacy and a Yamaha YP 250 Majesty all at one time, once. I sold the BMW, which was getting little use after I bought the Majesty, then later down the road I sold the Spacey. I loved that Spacy in it's own way. I prefer a flat floor scooter for city work. If I had more time to get out of town, the XMax 300 or the new BMW 400 would work for me - the tunnel being less of an issue.

I'll keep the Dio for the forseeable future. I can't bring myself to part with it. Being injected I can just keep it in the background and see how the Tricity works out for me, the Tricity being described in one in-depth review as 'intelligent design'. But no collection.

• 04-02-2018 10:02 PM In reply to

I'm hoping to take delivery of a new Tricity 155 this week. Should be interesting as I have not even test ridden one. I know the back streets around where the dealer is situated (Kogarah), so will head down to Sandringham where the streets are wide and relatively quiet for some practice before swinging for home. The whole thing is a punt ... so lets see

• 04-05-2018 09:52 PM In reply to

A new Yamaha Tricity 155 sits in my garage. With only 45k, now, on the clock it is far too early to call a review. But some things are immediately identifable.

When I have the time ....

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au