Scooter
Community

How often does a Scooter need servicing?

Last post 12-08-2018 06:52 PM by Moon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2018 06:03 PM

• Moon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2013
    • Posts 6

How often does a Scooter need servicing?

Howdy

I have a 2012 Aprilia 125cc Scoot that has done 7,400ks ... and has only just had its 2nd service (First was 1,000k)

I look after my Car better ... anyway ... the dude put a sticker on it for its next service - in 1,600k or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Is this normal? .... 2 services every 12 months for a scooter? Maybe they just want to keep an eye on that clutch plate that causes judder?

Anyway ... how often do you get your scooter serviced?  If you do it yourself .. how often? Geeked

• 12-07-2018 09:13 PM In reply to

Re: How often does a Scooter need servicing?

I had an Aprilia 125. Purchased it mint 2nd hand with 1200ks on the clock. The first service had been undertaken at 1000ks, with the next service due at 4oooks. It is also claimed that irrespective of mileage engine oil should be replaced at 12 months as it loses it's composition structure - breaks down.

• 12-07-2018 09:17 PM In reply to

... oh, mine also had a clutch 'shudder'. I assumed that the original owner, new to scootering, had ridden it tenentatively thus glazing the clutch (belt). I hated that - but I also figured it was a quality thing also.

• 12-07-2018 10:05 PM In reply to

• Moon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2013
    • Posts 6

This is my 2nd Aprilia 125cc ... as the first was stolen. It also had the judder. The new replacement still had a bit but nowhere near as bad. I thought it was just normal ... then I got to ride my nephews Aprilia 125cc and it didn't judder at all.

I was more concerned about the flat spot on accelleration ... ie turn the throttle and there is a pause before it takes off. I find this not only annoying but dangerous, as you rely on accellerating around a bend for stability ... which isn't there if the power doesn't come on instantly.

The Guy at the Service centre said it was the clutch plate. They gave it a sand and it is much better although still not totally smooth. They want me to bring it back to check it out ... as he said it may end up requiring a new clutch plate. It is a lot better although there is still a bit of a delay when opening the throttle ... so not 100%. Big improvement though. May have the plates made in China rather than Italy to keep the cost down ... I don't know?

• 12-08-2018 05:54 PM In reply to

My 2012 white Aprilia 125 was the least successful motor bike / scooter purchase in 50 years. Just after i purchased it the fuel line ruptured. ? The dealer seemed to know immediately where to source the problem: assumes it was a typical fault. And that awful clutch shudder. The scooter then developed an intermitant electrical gremlin that would kill the motor under acceloration from standstill. Goodbye one Aprilia. If I had realized it was a Chinese built scooter prior to purchasing I would have steered clear.

Others might report a better outcome with their Aprilia 125s.

The little Dio that followed was a class act comparatively.

• 12-08-2018 06:52 PM In reply to

• Moon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2013
    • Posts 6

Seems like the judder is a common problem with these Scooters. 

The 2 other problems I've had are

1. The battery leaked acid that corroded the fuse housing that sits beside the battery ... simple enough to replace.

2. the rubber fuel line from the tank to the carby split and leaked petrol onto the exaust. Unattached it and cut the split part out.

I knew it was put together in China and had some Chinese made parts but things like motor and transmission were made in Italy.

I'm guessing a lot of it was made in China to keep the price down. Retailed @ $3,500 and I paid $2,950 for the 1st and $3,200 for the 2nd.

So far only done 7,400k in around 4-5 years as I only use it for local shopping and also have a Car.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au