Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Vespa GTS 300 HPE

Last post 07-03-2019 10:04 PM by aspro boy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2019 08:12 AM

Vespa GTS 300 HPE

The early reviews on this scooter are favourable; without a bigger motor, the scooter that 300 enthusiasts have been waiting for. 

Will it outperform your 300, Mike? As an enthusiast, are you tempted to trade up?

• 05-02-2019 08:31 AM In reply to

Re: Vespa GTS 300 HPE

Nope. THe dyno tests are already in from the German and Austrian forums. The HPE has a nice bit more power, but the Malossi V4 kit still has more. I am more interested in what they have done to the transmission. I gather it is very smooth and quiet. I'm very keen to test ride one.

I think the Piaggio engineers have done a miracle of engineering. They have given this scooter more power, made it comply with the worst European emission guidelines, made it quieter and smoother, and yet also made it more fuel effricient!

Ths is the first new design of a Vespa in decades. Up till now they have just slung parts together, whatever was avalable in the parts store. The same cylinder head, air filter, exhaust, transmission on 125s, 250s and 300s. Nothing tuned. At last we have something designed as a whole, and all the guys in Europe who have one rave about it. 

I also have Brembo/Frando brake callipers and a Bitubo front shock on mine. I gather there is nothing new in the handling with the HPE.

I just wish they had done something about that sloping headlight! 

Edit. I have just bought a Dr.Pulley HiT clutch. Haven't fitted it yet, but I'm keen to see what it gives me. I have been folowing the work of Zirri01 and Otto on the Facebook Vespas Power group and the German Vespa forum. He and his mates have been getting 28-30 hp out of their machines,

• 05-02-2019 01:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for picking up this thread, Mike. And yes, I agree, the transmission improvement is of interest. Can make a ton of difference to the enjoyment of the ride. Euro 5 is just around the corner, so I understand that some manufactures are already designing to incorporate this next phase.

Please do keep us posted with your upgrades. I have given myself until Sept/Oct to decide on a new ride, which include a GTS 300 or GTS 150 iGET. Some thoughts, when you can, set against your experience, would be a bonus to me.

The reviews of the GTS 300 HPE are as you have stated: a leap forward

• 05-27-2019 03:01 PM In reply to

The first teething problem with the HPE has happened. DJ Wolf in Austria had his lose power and then cut out while on a motorway. Fortunately he had the opportunity to pull over intro a safety lane. Turned out the cable plug into the ECU had parttly pulled out.

It seems that on the HPE they have shortened some of the cables in the engine compartment, and over did it with this one, so that as the engine rides up and down on the suspension the cable pulled on  the plug.. There is a clamp there, but it didn't seem to help.

All the other riders in Germany and Austria are still delighted with their HPE GTS300s.

Regarding my updates, I have just fitted a Dr.Pulley HiT clutch to my blue GTS, and it has improved take-off a lot. I think it is also making a difference to acceleration at speed. My transmission now has a J.Costa variator, GT200 belt, HiT clutch with the stronger clutch springs and a Polini contra spring in the clutch assembly. Don't know what difference the stronger contra spring makes. 

Mike

• 05-28-2019 10:37 AM In reply to

Mike, I follow your Vespa thread with keen interest. I wish I had the ability, and workshop, to craft for myself a bespoke Vespa. I do not. The GT 200 belt has me intrigued.

• 06-05-2019 10:29 AM In reply to

Two more minor problems reported with the HPE.There is a white plastic cover over the ECU. This lets moisture in which can affect the engine. Solution is to coat the inside of the cover with some sort of sealant when putting it on.

Second problem, one guy had the spring break in the hook on the back of the handlebars. A very minor problem, not worth a recall. Big Smile  But Zelioni make a very nice hook.

• 07-03-2019 10:04 PM In reply to

I have just sighted the new GTS300S at Racecourse Motors today. It appears as the same livery to the expected HPE, due later this year, but with current 278 engine. I must say it looks fabulous, right down to the wheels, which are also of new design. I wanted to go home with a white unit, although this sounds bland. Such is the small design improvements having been made it looks - sharp.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au