Scooter
Community

Engine Management Warning Light

Last post 01-04-2020 07:40 PM by tonyr. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2020 10:10 PM

Engine Management Warning Light

Tony, did I recall the engine management warning light was an unresolved issue on your Yamaha? Was your recent battery failure connected to this issue in any way - meaning the light was a pre-warning? 

My Tricity155, @ 5000ks, suddenly has the permanent display of the engine management warning light. The vitals all seem good, but I will remove covers tomorrow to check what I can. What a phaf. It's my fault, really, as I was bloating myself on how well the scooter was performing, how it had softened with a few Ks, and how useful it is to me. All on the same ride.

It didn't come on whilst being ridden, but failed to go out after I had stopped for a 20 minute grocery shop.

• 01-04-2020 04:05 PM In reply to

Re: Engine Management Warning Light

Aspro Boy. . .

The problem you have with the "check-engine" light I had with my first X-Max 300. It was my current X-Max 300 that had the battery problem and was nothing to do with the computer. The 'check-engine' light problem with my previoous bike was my own fault. I had some mud /rubbish collect on the speed sensor and took it off to clean/remove the junk. Brain fade happened, and I rode away without bolting the sensor in place - thus the computer triggered the display light.

To fix the problem the best way is to aquire an OBD2 sensor device and reset the computer. However, the connection cable is a Yamaha 3pin 'unique' which requires parting with a fair amount (about $80), So - as no problems were occuring with the general running of the bike I decided to ignore the light, and let the dealer handle the problem when I traded the bike in. If the light distract s you, I suggest that you stick a piece of tape over it.

Cheers

• 01-04-2020 04:40 PM In reply to

I so appreciate this response, Tony. I could't remember exactly the sequence of your trials, but remembered you mentioning the 'check-engine' light issue.

I removed as many covers as would allow me to make critical determinations - nothing but 100% to be seen. Everything clean also - no deposits.The scoot is kept immaculate, garaged, and I can't recall that it has ever experienced rain - maybe a very light sprinkle. If it didn't have this display I would not know there was a (possible) problem.

Your experienced advice reflects my sentiments; I just indend to ride-on, until the next service - or trade. I'm not sure what will irritate me most, the constant presence of the light or the disappointment. Oh, I did disconnect the battery for a half hour, hoping it would reset the module, but to no avail. This worked with another vehicle I had that was returned from a professional service with this problem. When the vehicle went back to the workshop specific, they could not identify any fault - but the light persisted - until a timed battery disconnection.

Thanks

• 01-04-2020 07:40 PM In reply to

Aspro Boy. . .

Another way to 're-program' most computers suggested to me was to:

Disconnect both battery terminals (negative first of course) - wait a few minutes and then join both positive and negative leads together (make sure they don't touch anything ) in order to discharge any static power left in wiring loom. Reconnect in reverse order (+ first). Ride bike up the road for at least 1/2 km in order for the 'senders' in the system to send fresh information to the computer.

I tried it on my bike but did not get any result improvement.   Over to you. . .

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au