Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Piaggio Fly 125

Last post 08-27-2009 10:48 AM by Scooter HQ. 54 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2008 04:51 PM In reply to

Re: Piaggio Fly 125

kiwiscoota:

Perhaps it is simply that Piaggio has recognised what we all knew,  just how  SPECIAL ! Steve is Wink

Careful there Wink.  I recently got a text message from a mate as follows:

"Today is the international day of the retard. Please send an encouraging msg 2 a mentally retarded friend as I have done.... Hang in there. You're special!" 

Is that the special you mean?

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 01-18-2008 06:09 PM In reply to

OMG! Now I'm seriously excited! That was about the only concern I had with this scooter without taking it for a test ride. Love the larger fuel tank, the storage space, the look is nice, although the grey panels.. yech but I'll get over that, the heavier weight will be a bonus when the doctor comes in. Two seat height options? cool! Gimme a shorty thanks! ;)

I can hardly wait

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-21-2008 03:20 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

Careful there Wink.  I recently got a text message from a mate as follows:

"Today is the international day of the retard. Please send an encouraging msg 2 a mentally retarded friend as I have done.... Hang in there. You're special!" 

Is that the special you mean?

You are so politically correct

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-30-2008 11:38 PM In reply to

I pity the people who ask me how the new scooter is going. I have developed the bad habit of raving, ranting & being a general PITA when it comes to talking about The Fly.

Solid feel, despite the weight it's easy enough to get on & off the centre stand, well put together, great brakes, decent headlight, immobiliser, 12" wheels, 2 seat height options, seat is very comfortable & made of a material that doesn't burn your butt or cause butt-slip when coming to a sudden stop, zippy & quiet engine, Euro 3 rating, 7.5L fuel tank, approx 200km/7.5L fuel consumption, nice look, reasonably good range of colours, good handling, incredible price. The cons? Underseat storage could be marginally better, it's far too easy to speed, it's such a joy to ride that the car is looking decidedly dejected.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-31-2008 01:25 AM In reply to

I have had my Fly since July 07 and hasn't missed a beat. I got 118 km/h out of the old girl the other day on the freeway, felt pretty steady at that speed. Overall i reckon its one of the best if not the best 125 in the $3000 price range.

Piaggio Fly 125
    Derbi GP1 250
  • 02-01-2008 09:50 AM In reply to

Well I've had my Fly for a few days now and thought I'd throw my review into the ring.

Looks & Finish: The styling seems to be a mix of classic and modern, the front certainly has a classic feel to it, the rest of the bike seems quite modern in look. Overall it's a nice scoot to look at and certainly turns a few heads at the traffic lights. When compared to it's older sister the Vespa LX125 you can see the overall luxurious finish isn't there, but this is a budget scooter and for it's price seems to be a stylish well put together package.

Comfort & Size: The seat is adjustable in height and is made of a hard wearing material that offers a lot of grip when hard braking or adjusting your position. The seat is slightly spongy but firm but with out being too firm. I could ride on this for hours without getting a sore ass. The handlebars are a good distance from the my knees (I'm ~180cms tall) and allow good manoeuvrability without being cramped. It's a good weight and while it stays down on the road nicely it's not too heavy to lift and jerk around if necessary (i.e. cramming it into a single car garage with a car already parked in it[!]).

Controls & Features: The controls and dials etc. are nicely laid out on the console, are very clear and concise which is especially helpful when having a quick glance while at speed. When compared to other scoots in this price range I think the console looks a lot classier. The glove box is big enough for... a pair of gloves and perhaps your wallet, phone and what have you. Under seat storage is a little underwhelming when compared to other models in this price range however there's enough room under there for a full face helmet (a bit of squishing required) and as I found out last night a full bag of Nandos... mmm Nandos. A top box would be needed if you require more storage i.e. somewhere to put your jacket etc. if you can't take it where you're going.

Handling & Power: The Fly is impressive off the line, with care you'll beat most normal cages off the line at the lights and leave them a distant speck in your mirrors. The auto clutch and acceleration action surprisingly seem smoother than other models I've ridden (Bolwell VS125 & Aprilia Sports City 150). What's most impressive with the fly is not how quickly it gets off the line but how quickly you in can accelerate while already at speed. Rolling the throttle on to change lanes gives you a nice boost to handle the busy city traffic. I'm still breaking this one in so I haven't fully put it through it's paces yet but it feels like it will easily get to it's rated top speed of 94km/h and then some. One of the most fun features of this scoot is it's smooth cornering and handling. The scoot pleasantly glides around corners and also allows for smooth acceleration out of corners. Practising some tight figure 8's in a car park last night I found the Fly to have a decent turning circle for a scooter. I won't comment too much on braking as they will apparently take some time to wear in but they seem fine at this point, if a little unforgiving at this point. The suspension is of course adjustable and easily handles bumps, man holes and dips with ease.

Economy: Allegedly it will get ~200km of the 7.2L, so far I've done a bit over 40k's and the needle has just dipped under "Full", so it's well on track there. The dealer recommended using regular unleaded initially and then switching to 98 octane premium once broken in.

It's a good thing I ride with a full face helmet because I can't wipe the smile of my face. Considering features for the price the Fly 125 is an exceptional package. 9/10.

2008 Piaggio Fly 125
  • 02-01-2008 02:34 PM In reply to

which helmet do you have? Mine, can't remember what it is, wont fit. I've seen some around which have a lower dome & have been considering of purchasing one in order to avoid a topbox.

Wanda
  • 02-01-2008 02:56 PM In reply to

ScootaNut:
    which helmet do you have?

I've got a Shark RSF2i Fusion (full face) in medium size. It only just fits in. When I put the seat down I have to force it down about an inch - the foam in the helmet and the plastic moulding inside the seat give just enough for it to close.

I think I might have to get a top box to put my jacket and stuff in, I just can't walk around the shops etc. in a riding jacket in this heat.

2008 Piaggio Fly 125
  • 02-01-2008 03:04 PM In reply to

I

m going to get a jet helmet, like Jimmy's N30 'cuz it'll fit in the GT. Funny how so many helmes dont fit, I would think that these scooter manufacturers would make ample room. 

• 02-01-2008 09:19 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

double07:
    The dealer recommended using regular unleaded initially and then switching to 98 octane premium once broken in.

Fantastic stuff and a great summary so far ....... dont waste your time and money with premium as it will do jack ... just stick to unleaded

you must be very happy for a 9 / 10 . The fly has a great tried and trusted torquey engine and will pull hard and will be even better once run in.  

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 02-01-2008 10:12 PM In reply to

At what point would you consider this scooter to be run in?

Wanda
  • 02-01-2008 10:40 PM In reply to

allen:
    you must be very happy for a 9 / 10

Considering the price and complete package I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

2008 Piaggio Fly 125
  • 02-01-2008 10:46 PM In reply to

ScootaNut:

According to the manual 1000km. It also says to avoid keeping the throttle in the same position for long periods of time. i.e. vary the revs. And not to exceed 80% of the max power... whoops Stick out tongue

2008 Piaggio Fly 125
  • 02-03-2008 08:50 AM In reply to

double07:

ScootaNut:

According to the manual 1000km. It also says to avoid keeping the throttle in the same position for long periods of time. i.e. vary the revs. And not to exceed 80% of the max power... whoops Stick out tongue

Whoopsy Daisies......

I've been going easy on my GT, where the manual says stay under 80% until the 1st 1000km service. I have gone to 100km/h a few times after about 300km, but not often and not for prolonged periods. I think its a guide only and as long as you dont do the Nullabour @ 100km/h you'd be OK. It's hard not to wring its neck sometimes.

• 02-03-2008 09:19 AM In reply to

dozer:
    I think its a guide only and as long as you dont do the Nullabour @ 100km/h you'd be OK.

Oh man! How did you know I had the Nullabor in my sights? I have to admit that I've been fancying joining a group ride on a long distance jaunt like that... especialy after reading how a guy from Perth travelled to Melbourne, I think he's gradually making his way right around Aus, on a 50cc. 

Wanda
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au