Scooter
Community

italjet torpedo help please!!

Last post 12-28-2007 10:07 PM by italjet torpy. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2007 12:15 AM

italjet torpedo help please!!

hey all

so yesterday after signing my daughter in at preschool i was riding home, just pulled away from some lights while crossing an intersection doing about 30-35km when scoot makes a horrible noise? pulled to the side of the rode where it idled fine i then i   tried to accelerate and it was revving but no movement? then had to limp it down a hill stash it at a local sports ground and walk the 5 km home .NOT happy jan!!!

Does anyone have any idea what it would be?

im thinking maybe the clutch we have had the cover off and pulled the clutch apart and put it back on but still the same problem?

scoot has 17500km on the clock 

rollers have been replaced recently(actually scoot was going along really good), belt is fine 

please help me

thanks so much 

Wants a B Bone!!!
    anyone got one they want to give me ... no .. really.... ok , well fine be that way...
  • 12-21-2007 12:48 AM In reply to

Re: italjet torpedo help please!!

Without knowing the design of your driveline,  it sounds as if it might be might be a final reduction gear, spline or shaft problem.

If you go to the Download section of this website,  then to Kymco/Bug and look at the Agility 125 Section 10 Final Reduction it will give you a general idea of a common design of final reduction gears as used in scooter transmissions.

I'm no mechanic,  but to check that out,  I would remove the drive belt cover,  remove the belt, (edited, probably not necessary to remove belt) then with the rear wheel in the air, try turning the rear wheel and see whether the rear belt pulley shaft turns properly.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 12-21-2007 08:09 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

italjet torpy:
    Rollers have been replaced recently(actually scoot was going along really good), belt is fine 

Hi , in this quotye you state that the belt is fine, is this because you have pulled the side case off and had a look, because it does seem like this is the problem.

Other things it could be is that the front variator has come loose after the service and inturn you are finding it is just a spinning crankshaft.   

Even though these things were right during servicing i dont think it rules them out. The fact that the motor is running and spinning up and revving like normal sounds like no issues here . So my bet is drivetrain and really it could only really be belt or variator. Maybe clutch but you would think if the belt is still engaging the clutch you would feel something. My thoughts are belt, variator has come off........ not hard ones though to fix so all should be ok  

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-21-2007 08:17 AM In reply to

yep the case off and yep belt was fine , will check the variator to see if its lose ....

dont know if this is anything but when i wheel it in theres a sound like a knocking or a dull metallic tinking occasionally? doesnt happen all the time though 

Wants a B Bone!!!
    anyone got one they want to give me ... no .. really.... ok , well fine be that way...
  • 12-21-2007 09:03 AM In reply to

heres a couple picks of the clutch do the shoes look worn unevenly or is it just me?

">

"> 

Wants a B Bone!!!
  • 12-24-2007 08:06 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

hi mate cant see the pics

just use the options tab when posting and then the file attachment button

pics must be under 63kb

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-24-2007 08:54 AM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

With the clutch bell fitted, what happens when you start it up and rev it, does the bell grip and turn?  There a 3 critical points in the drive line and if you can see the front two move correctly, then it is most likely something in the final drive transmittion.  Have you checked the variator and the rollers?  If they get pitted and warn, they can jam the system in a higher gear and becomes an issue.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 12-24-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

when i start it and rev it it sounds normal until i get to the point where i should have forward momentum and nothing it just revs higher , if feels like nothing is gripping, the variator and rollers are fine they were changed not long ago

are you able to start and rev the engine with the clutch cover off? migth sound like a silly question but thought i would ask?

just fixing a carby prob at the moment when thats done will try your suggestion and see if the bell is gripping a turning when revved

thanks for the suggestions

merry christmas!! 

Wants a B Bone!!!
  • 12-24-2007 02:25 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

You can start and run the scooter with the main external cover off, but never start without the clutch bell fitted, there have been a few stories on what happens when you fail to fit that and give it a squirt.
    "Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 12-24-2007 02:42 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

clutch pads look good so next would be to look at the clutch springs on the other side. But I still think its in the variator. Maybe a few shots around the variator and the one of the rollers . something isnt right in that whole drive area. does the rear wheel spin up when you have no contact on the road or does it still not spin when on the centre stand and ur twisting the throttle, of course this is when its together

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 12-24-2007 04:49 PM In reply to

ive also noticed that when i have the clutch off and the variator, when i spin the back wheel there is a knocking, low tinking? type sound is this anything? i assume that , the noise isnt supposed the happen but could this be the probelm and not the clutch or variator?

and yep the rear wheel does spin when there is no contact with the ground. 

heres few pics one of the variator one still on the other taken apart

"> 

"> 

Wants a B Bone!!!
  • 12-24-2007 05:15 PM In reply to

italjet torpy:

ive also noticed that when i have the clutch off and the variator, when i spin the back wheel there is a knocking, low tinking? type sound is this anything? i assume that , the noise isnt supposed the happen but could this be the probelm and not the clutch or variator?

and yep the rear wheel does spin when there is no contact with the ground. 

Did you check the drive from the rear wheel forward,  in other words with the rear wheel off the ground,  if you rotate the rear wheel,  does the rear pulley rotate properly, is the noise present under those circumstances ? 

Deklan 

• 12-24-2007 05:31 PM In reply to

yep the pulley rotates properly and yes the noise is present then

Wants a B Bone!!!
  • 12-24-2007 05:55 PM In reply to

I go back then to my earlier post, in thinking the problem is related to the final drive splines or gears.  

In which case try holding the rear pullley, while trying to rotate the rear wheel.  

Obviously if the rear wheel is able to turn even with difficulty while the pulley is stationary, then the answer is definately in the final drive mechanism.  

That would also explain the types of noise you are getting when you wheel the scoot along and the loss of power to the rear wheel. 

Deklan 

• 12-24-2007 06:13 PM In reply to

well tryed your suggestion and you guessed it i can turn the wheel at first with some ease even while holding the rear pulley and after a turn or 2 it started to get very tight but yep your right the wheel was rotating , bugger so how is that fixed and is it possible to do an at home repair, providing we have the right tools and spare parts?

Wants a B Bone!!!
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au