Scooter
Community

Squeaky Disc Brake

Last post 10-09-2008 11:42 PM by E2W. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2007 07:50 PM

Squeaky Disc Brake

For a while now my disc brake (the front) has been squeaking like a mouse wheel. At someone's suggestion I gave it a wipe down incase there was dust on it but there hasn't been a noticable difference. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do? 

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 12-25-2007 08:23 PM In reply to

Re: Squeaky Disc Brake

Not sure about your scooter,  but I had a Holden Commodore that used to do that from new,  eventually (after about 10 months of my bitching) GMH came up with some spring shims that fitted between the brake pad and disc brake piston. 

Apparently on the Holden, the awful squeaking noise was actually caused by the disc brake pad vibrating !!

EDIT:
    Another thought,  I have a feeling there is also a "grease" type material on the market to stop that noise, that you wipe over the back plate of the disc pad,  the part that is in contact with the disc brake piston,  NOT the side that faces the disc rotor,  might be worth a visit to check out your local Repco store....

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 12-26-2007 04:20 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Mine squeak on the Bee Wee, I dont thik its anything major! But I want a whole break check soon anyway (Gives Brendon the look)
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-28-2007 11:30 AM In reply to

ScootaNut:

For a while now my disc brake (the front) has been squeaking like a mouse wheel. At someone's suggestion I gave it a wipe down incase there was dust on it but there hasn't been a noticable difference. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do? 

Couple of things:

1) when in motion (and NOT in traffic!) apply the brakes quite strongly a few times - this can help take the squeak away.  Being gentle with disk brakes seems to encourage squeaking for some reason unknown to me

2) you can apply an anti-squeaking paste to the back of the brake pads.  Unfortunately you have to take the pads off first which is a bit of a rigmarole, paint the stuff on, let it dry and then hope that the squeal disappears.  It normally does, but its a bit of a palaver. 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 12-28-2007 01:41 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

this will most likely be normal brake pad on disc noises and nothing to worry about. Is it only when applying the brakes that the noise happens. If so not anything to concern yourself with  

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-05-2008 02:12 PM In reply to

Steve is on the money, the number one reason a front brake will squeak is the nut between the handle bars and the seat. The Montego doesn't have squeaky brake pads so go with Steve's suggestion of a couple of hard brake applications and report back.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-21-2008 09:50 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:
    Steve is on the money, the number one reason a front brake will squeak is the nut between the handle bars and the seat. The Montego doesn't have squeaky brake pads so go with Steve's suggestion of a couple of hard brake applications and report back.

LOL a bit like the "OE" error ITs talk about? it's just a shame I've only just seen this response :)

all the sadder since the new Fly, atleast the demo, doesn't seem to have the squeak.

btw - I tried hitting the brakes hard whenever I could, with no traffic around, & it didn't seem to stop the squeak completely although I think it may have reduced it.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-22-2008 11:15 PM In reply to

ScootaNut:

Scooter HQ:

LOL a bit like the "OE" error ITs talk about? it's just a shame I've only just seen this response :)

Don't you mean the i d ten t error or the ebkac error that IT staff will talk about? Wink Big Smile 

• 10-07-2008 11:13 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

This is an old post but I thought I might as well add my bit to the end of it in the hope someone will see it.

I did the right thing and did my research on SC first but only 6 responses came up.

The rear brake on the X8 sqeaks so loud it drives me insane. I almost feel embarresed to brake when approaching traffic lights which obviously is not a good thing. I know it's nothing to worry about but a quieter brake would be nice. I'll try the hard braking first to clean the disc and/or pads. Any other ideas anyone?

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 10-07-2008 11:14 PM In reply to

Oil?

ONLY JOKING!!!

Wanda
  • 10-08-2008 01:47 PM In reply to

When I change pads on anything I chanfer the pads (this isn't esy to explaine), I take the leading and trailing edge of the pads with a file(DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS) because when the pad has a right anglecontact to the disk it promotes a vibration ofter refered to as break squeel.It is an easy fix and just a case of wipping your pads out and chanfering them and pop them back in.(20 min job)

Select Scootas
    www.scoota.com.au
  • 10-09-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

Thanks for that bit of advice Service. Seeing as I don't know how to remove the brake discs I'll remember that for the next time I get the brakes done.

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 10-09-2008 11:51 AM In reply to

Pegasus:

Thanks for that bit of advice Service. Seeing as I don't know how to remove the brake discs I'll remember that for the next time I get the brakes done.

Just the pads , no need to touch the diskCool
    Select Scootas
    www.scoota.com.au
  • 10-09-2008 12:00 PM In reply to

• Pegasus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2007
    • Kingsley, Perth. WA
    • Posts 1,041

Service@Bolwell:
    Just the pads , no need to touch the diskCool

Oops. Sorry Service. I meant the pads. I don't know how to remove them either.Embarrassed Is it something someone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can do?

Ride safely everyone.
    Piaggio X8 250ie
    38,000km
  • 10-09-2008 01:42 PM In reply to

Yes and no... They are your brakes and if they fail you may be killed...

Dont mess with them

Select Scootas
    www.scoota.com.au
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au